how do you use coconut oil in your recipes?

Options
I really want to start using coconut oil more & more in recipes and would love to hear from those who already use it on how you've incorporated it into your recipes.

Thanks!

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I love to put it in my oatmeal.
    I don't know much but i'm sure you can use it just like olive oil.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein smoothies. It makes for a very silky texture and adds a touch of coconut flavor.
  • auntsoozaay
    Options
    Those are awesome recommendations! I never thought of putting it in my oatmeal OR smoothies and I have oatmeal or a smoothie everyday! :)
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cooking with coconut oil. I will melt it in the microwave and drizzle it on my chicken then season with fresh herbs and bake in the oven. My husband is convinced I make the best chicken in the world. Use it on all my meats that way. Also use it to scramble eggs instead of olive oil. It's delicious.
  • chelepeto
    Options
    Where do you find coconut oil, and can I substituted it from my cooking oil?
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good idea to post this, but I use it in my frosting.
    http://www.chefchloe.com/vegan-recipes/sweets/item/84-fluffy-coconut-cupcakes.html
    Yum yum

Never thought of using it anywhere else
  • ableknable
    Options
    I haven't used it, but I recommend you read The Yummy Life blog. She is very knowledgeable about coconut oil and many other things related to heathful eating. This is a post about her using it to make homemade popcorn in many flavors, but she uses it in other ways too. http://www.theyummylife.com/Healthy_Microwave_Popcorn

Cheers!
  • auntsoozaay
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And I'll check out the blog! I bought my coconut oil online at www.nuts.com, but I'm guessing if you're lucky enough to have a Whole Foods near you, you can get it there.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein smoothies. It makes for a very silky texture and adds a touch of coconut flavor.

Not sure if you'll see this, but how do you add it to your smoothies? I tried adding a bit to one of mine once and it came together like a congealed mess. The texture was disgusting and I had to choke it down. I'm sure I did something wrong, but I didn't even use close to a TBSP in it.
  • mcdermor
    mcdermor Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can put a bit into the liquid when you cook rice. It's good for sauteing shrimp.

FYI for those new to coconut oil - it has a melting point of 76F. That means that in a lot of households, it will be the consistency of shortening at room temperature. Which might explain why it made one poster's smoothie congeal.

For you parents, it's also a wonderful replacement for diaper cream. Our daughter has sensitive skin, and coconut oil works great, and it's safe for cloth diapers.

We got ours on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-29-Ounce/dp/B001E5E1MI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1348509543&sr=8-11&keywords=coconut+oil