Why do people get mad at vegan/vegetarians on mfp?

Options
2»

Replies

• Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Basically guilt and ignorance.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but that cat in your profile picture looks delicious.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Nobody on this site truly cares if you want to be a vegetarian, trust me. This post is an attempt to cause drama and my prediction is, it's gonna work.
    mmmm i got the same feeling
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

There is no certainty like the certainty of youth.
    If only they could educate the guilty and ignorant of all the previous generations!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    The same reason why people argue about religion, politics, etc etc.

Many people just don't like that others have opinions and different beliefs.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    b/c it's the forum. It's no different than people making fun of somone for only doing cardio. Everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things and so many people have the Its my way or you suck attitude. doesn't matter the topic.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    And there is the problem. Obviously anyone that doesn't agree with you is ignorant :grumble: . That attitude is what causes so much discourse. As far as guilt goes, I feel no guilt whatsover tearing into a nice juicy steak.
  • jonesan1227
    Options
    This is a wonderful post that will hopefully remind us that, regardless of one's eating habits and/or opinions about eating habits in general, we can have different opinions and state them civilly. We need to be respectful of each other, and most of us do, but this serves as a great reminder to keep doing so. I've been a meat eater and vegetarian, and I have teasing on both sides. It doesn't matter which side starts it; you can be the one to end it. Again, wonderful post.

- AJ
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I know why. It's to do with a particular dinosaur.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get made fun of a decent amount for being vegetarian. It's not hurtful joking, but more annoying jokes that they think are funny. I don't get offended by it, it just starts to get really old after awhile. My dad likes to take a huge bite of a hamburger and say "Oooooooohhh man, this is so good. Here Greg... have some, oh wait, you can't". Which brings me to my next point: I CAN have meat. I CHOOSE not to. It's annoying to hear "Oh Greg can't eat that" or "Too bad you can't have some of this"

I see why some people who are vegetarian might start to get really bothered by that stuff and get defensive. I just smile and try to joke along with them, or start to ignore them if it gets to be too much. Since my reason of being vegetarian is an environmental/sustainable issue- Yes, I think there should be A LOT less meat consumption. However, I never push it on anybody or make somebody feel bad for eating meat, so why should I be made to feel bad for not eating it?

Another example: I live in Tennessee (not super-vege friendly). My gf and I both ordered a boca burger while we were out at dinner. The waitress says "Oh... are you guys vegetarian". We reply "yup". "Ugh... so you're one of those groups". Other than that she was super friendly, but she didn't smile or laugh to let us know she was kidding.
  • determined136
    Options
    People fear what they don't know....and most are too lazy to educate themselves. I say if it works for you DO IT!!!! More power to you if you feel like that is what your body needs...it is your body and no one elses!!

Best of luck!!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Here's a reason.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Editted to add: the *way I eat* is pretty much anti-vegan. I have no problem with other people being vegan.

I am basically the anti-vegan. If it didn't die a horrible bloody death, I probably don't think it's really worth eating. My only guilt associated with eating meat is that I generally haven't hunted/fished it myself, and I wish I lived in a society where I could do that more easily.

That being said, I read through some of the thread that I am pretty sure the OP was referring to, and thought that for the most part the responses were childish and some were even downright mean. However, people often respond that way to "studies" on this site. The study in question was done in an animal model, and that will always get people tearing the article apart because "they are not mice." Mice are a quite valid model for many infectious disease studies, but I'm not even sure why people bother to use them for nutritional studies anymore.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The same reason why people argue about religion, politics, etc etc.

Many people just don't like that others have opinions and different beliefs.
    That pretty much sums it up right there. You don't like animal, don't eat animal. You like animal, eat animal. Live and let live. It's a very simple thing to agree to disagree, it's a shame more humans can't figure out how to do it.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    It's not veganism people respond negatively, but the pissy, superior attitudes of many vegans that insist meat eaters are somehow immoral, ignorant or "less than" because of their eating choices. Seems to me a lot of vegans are more concerned with the feelings of chickens and cows, and not at all concerned for human beings. Which is messed up.

To be clear, I'm not saying all vegans are like this, just many that I have come across.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I am basically the anti-vegan. If it didn't die a horrible bloody death, I probably don't think it's really worth eating. My only guilt associated with eating meat is that I generally haven't hunted/fished it myself, and I wish I lived in a society where I could do that more easily.

That being said, I read through some of the thread that I am pretty sure the OP was referring to, and thought that for the most part the responses were childish and some were even downright mean. However, people often respond that way to "studies" on this site. The study in question was done in an animal model, and that will always get people tearing the article apart because "they are not mice." Mice are a quite valid model for many infectious disease studies, but I'm not even sure why people bother to use them for nutritional studies anymore.

I am a mouse. The answer is 42.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Probably as many reasons as there are posters.

I don't have a problem with people who choose to be vegetarian or vegan.

It's just that's there's this portion of them, don't have a clue what percent, who are militant about it, and frankly, anyone who is militant about their beliefs is just asking for trouble, and does a true disservice to the rest.

If you want to tell me that you love being vegan and the changes it's made in your health, I'd like to know that.

If you have a fantastic recipe, preferably not including 'fake' meat, I'd love to hear it.

But, man, I do not want to hear about why eating meat is the worst thing I could possibly do to my body, or that I'm a cruel and horrible person who promotes death.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling a lot of people are responding without reading the original post. I did state that yes some vegans do come on too strongly, bash meat eaters, ect.

But I'm talking about the ones getting bashed that do not act this way and still get treated as if they are this way.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

I am a mouse. The answer is 42.

Loves you.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I'm going to lock this down before it has a chance to go too far south.

The guideline in question reads (relevant portion in bold):

Topics which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

We prefer that threads discussing past conflicts on the forums be avoided. If a conflict does arrive (say between meat eaters and vegans) the best response is to alert the moderators by reporting the post, and let us come in to moderate.

I'm sure this thread was started with no intent other than to learn more about the phenomenon noted in the OP, but it does cross the guidelines to discuss the behavior of other users in a public thread.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.