How to avoid over eating at night

Options
I just started dieting a week ago and have great success all day long with not eating much. The problem is that when my husband gets home from work I end up eating all night long and destroy all the good I did all day. Any suggestions on how to avoid the night time binges on food???

Thanks and keep up the great work everyone!!!

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating during the day? Are you eating enough? I try to eat lots of protein and fiber at supper time, they help keep me feeling full through the evening. I also keep my trusty water glass near at hand. If I have to have a snack, I'll eat air popped popcorn without the salt and butter, or a couple of Triscuits and a small piece of cheese. Good luck!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Well first of all don't call it a diet because you are setup to fail. You are just changing your eating style. My husband is the same way and I just learn that I can't do that. If I get hungry I drink water that usually feels me up. Thats if I had all of my calories for the day. Take a tsp of peanut butter and eat that slowly. I do that to after a workout sometimes. You can do this. Just hang in there. You can ask him to help you with it to.
  • KatieAwerkamp
    Options
    Make sure you are eating smaller meals (4-5) throughtout the day so your hunger prolongs itself and doesn't build up at night. If you eat fewer calories during the day...you will crash and binge at night. Whole natural (no salt) almonds are a good snack too. You can buy Blue Diamond Individual 100 Calorie Packs at the grocery store. They come in a box of 7...expensive but worth snacking on. You can also buy them in the can but I prefer these because they are portioned and they curve your hunger and are delish!
  • abbychick
    abbychick Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You've just described me to the letter!!! I work out, watch what I eat all day and then bang......eat uncontrollably at night and end up consuming way too many empty calories!! I haven't yet been able to break the circuit and this is what is totally holding me back from weight loss. I know there's no miracle answer to solve this problem other than willpower. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • dumbfox
    dumbfox Posts: 13
    Options
    I work in the evenings so it's really easy for me to get home after my shift and want to eat a full meal. I usually make myself some hot tea and munch on fruit. I've found that if I make myself a pretty little plate of a variety of fruits I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck. Frozen grapes are great too!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Be careful eating fruit and simple carbs late in the evening, it can elevate your blood sugar, which can be a problem if you are diabetic or have any degree of insulin resistance.
    5010 Posts: 59
    Options
    Make up some sugar free jelly very sweet only 10cals
    or have a hot choc options drink 40cals
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    if you dont eat enough food during the day your body will beg for food in the evening. Dont ever let yourself go hungry. The key is to eat when you are hungry, just make good choices, filling choices, and healthy choices. Make sure your dinner is satisfying, so that you wont be hungry for a few hours afterwards. Proteins and fiber/veggies.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have this exact problem! Although it is not a cure for the evening munchies it does help a little...Options Hot Chocolate. Its sweet tastes of chocolate but only has about 38 calories a cup.
  • deb56003
    Options
    I am the same way, it's like TV and snacking go hand in hand for me. Not even hungry, just use to snacking while I watch TV. I try my best to not eat after 7:00PM, but if I just need something I find that tomato juice works for me. Might be the saltiness? Just seems to do the trick. Or even a glass of milk and a couple whole wheat crackers helps. Hang in there Tracey!!!
  • meadows237
    Options
    Have you ever tried eating your dinner with your eyes closed? If forces you to eat slower and makes you notice when your stomach is full. Now I'm not saying do t his everytime. I did it just for curiosity once and I found out that I didn't even eat half of my plate of food before I was full. I put the rest in the refrigerator and ate it later. Our eyes tend to overeat for us! Also, when you find yourself constantly eating in the evening, ask yourself if you are really hungry or if you are just trying to change the way you feel. Close your eyes and check in with how your stomach feels. Is it hungry or is it just comfortable. If it is comfortable, then try to find something else to do to change the way you feel. Try to focus on the ritual of eating. Savor the food. Notice the texture, taste, and smell. Make eating an adventure. Too many times, we pay attention to what is around us (tv, computer, etc), instead of what we are actually doing (eating). Good luck on your journey!