can't afford to join a gym need video for home use

Options
any ideas?

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Tae Bo is really good.
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and I search youtube for videos. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is on there, and plenty of others. Right now I'm doing routines from the Bodyrock.tv channel. You should check them out :)
  • dgwheeler24
    Options
    My husband really needed to drop weight to get into the Army and be able to go to OCS... He dropped it by eating the P90X diet plan and working out to Insanity for his main cardio workouts...
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I did really well with the Zumba DVD...a few years back and just this last Christmas got the newest Zumba. I don't go to the gym, because its REALLY expensive and family needs me at home. Other cheaper DVDs...I love Jillian Michael's or Bob Harper's.... :) Walk at Home Leslie Sansone are also good. Depends what your looking for???
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Don't know about yours, but our local library carries 100s of DVDs, 100s! Take a trip down, see what they have, take one home, do it for a month and then return and get a new one. No $$ involved, unless you are late returning.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I ADORE the bodyrock.tv videos.... def my fav as they always incorporate things that you would have at home. some are really tough so look through them or search the lite body rock videos... you can go to the website i mentioned or search them on youtube! definately amazing! Zumba videos and p90x and jillian michaels get you an amazing work out as well!
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Kettlebell videos. cardio and strength all in one!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I do the Walk Away the Pounds series. If you haven't done this before, they have a beginner series. What I love about this is, if I cannot do the entire workout, I know I can do 1 mile which is 15 minutes and I get a great cardio workout. Sometimes with my knees I have to divide my workouts, sometimes I can do all the miles and sometimes I can't. The point is to just do something and get moving.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Power Yoga DVD, $8 at Target
    Trainer Bob's Warrior Yoga DVD, often on sale on his website for $5

I was able to get a great gym special with a Groupon! I only pay $30/month for my gym and that includes as many classes as I want for free. In my area a price like that is unheard of (gyms are often $100/month or so).

Keep your eye out for specials on Groupon, Living Social, or Amazon local. They are practically giving the memberships away in this economy.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but still strongly prefer to work out at home! Some ideas for where to get DVDs are:

1. Goodwill bookstore: cheap but you can't return them

2. Library

3. Amazon.com or ebay for used DVDs cheap

Some of my favorite DVD instructors are Tamilee Webb, Jari Love, Billy Blanks, and Cathe Friedrich.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are looking for. Leslie Sansone's dvd's a great for walking at home, they aren't just walking in place, I think of them as low impact aerobics. 30 Day Shred is a nice for beginner strength training with cardio and they are short workouts. I personally love Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and ChaLEAN Extreme. I've heard great things about Insanity and P90X also. Some of them can be very pricey but look on Amazon for used, or Ebay & Craigslist. There are some good Biggest Loser workout and I also like Wii Zumba.

Oh and I just saw there is a Groupon right now for Shaun T's Rockin' Body for $20.
  • kriskerans
    kriskerans Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just purchase the Zumba Package and It's awsome, I get through 20-25 mins so far and I'm out of breath...
    It pays for it self they are offering classes here for $5
    I like doing it in my home !
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I suggest BodyRock.tv as well....great workouts!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    you tube, my on demand has a ton
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use an HDMI cable and my laptop to watch youtube videos on my TV. Also, your library may have videos for you to borrow.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    FITNESS BLENDER is FREE and all their videos are available on their site and YouTube... I LOVE THEIR VIDEOS... It's a husband-and-wife team working off donations. They also have printable routines and a 8-week Boot Camp PDF that costs $4.99 (I haven't bought it yet but I am going to soon). Check them out!

http://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    There isn't hardly a thing you can't find on YouTube these days! Depends on what type of work out/training you want to do, but I reckon a lot of it is there.
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i have Jillian Michaels Yoga dvd i use sometimes. I also do tiffany rothe workouts from (youtube) .
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i see tons of these dvd's and VCR (yes i still use a vcr LOL) tapes at goodwill and other thrift stores...a lot of times they are like 50 cents, 99 cents, etc....they may not be the latest and greatest but at least they offer some structure to get started

you can also do home workouts with your body as resistance, 10 pushups, 20 jumping jacks, 30 air squats, 40 jump rope skips. repeat 2x. etc...there are lots of these kinds of circuits available on the internet.

you can also use cans, or milk jugs filled with dirt or sand for weights. jump rope or fast walking for cardio

good luck
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo is great and so are the Jilliam Michaels workout DVD's. Tae Bo really motivates you and Billy Blanks is a classic and so many other workouts incorporate some of his moves.

Hope everything works out!!