How do YOU handle running out of daily calories?

Options
Hello all! My first topic so pardon me if it has been asked 100 times before.
What do you do when you have a day like I have today, and you run out of calories at lunch? I had a client lunch at a restaurant and though I pre-planned and ordered well, I totally blew it with the peanuts on the table and ate up my calories. It is a bad habit that I control at home by not having the snacks around or at the office by not packing them in my lunch, but I am weak when it is right there on the table. I am NOT an exerciser and really hate when I do try, though I am aware this would earn me a few calories back. So, other than climbing Mount Everest to get your day back in line, what do you do when you run out mid day?
Thank you!

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I am only talking for myself, but I just go over.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You have to eat, you can't starve yourself.. consider it lesson learned and move forward.. Enjoy a healthy dinner tonight.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it. just try not to go over again tomorrow.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I would try to squeeze more exercise in, but if I can't, I try to even out the calories with the rest of the week. For example if I ate 300 calories over today, I would eat 100 less for the next 3 days. It happens :)
  • Ilovetrish
    Options
    You can either exercise or just take it as it is, eat a light dinner and start over tomorrow.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Eat a light dinner and move on.
  • jobubble2005
    Options
    Eat a healthy meal tonight.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Don't worry about it.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I just this second munched on way too many peanuts. They are loaded. But Im just gonna hit the exercise that much harder tonight and move on. Don't worry about it unless it becomes a habit
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I eat. I exercise. I preplan. But most importantly? I know that it's no big deal unles you ate ALL the peanuts and then some off other tables! Sounds like it was just a weird day. Move on and eat a healthy dinner tonight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I would exercise to earn those calories back. But that's me. For you the only option is to except and move on. Eat a healthy dinner and be back on track tomorrow.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...when it happens, I just go over for the day. I call those days "Saturday" and "Sunday" :laugh:

Seriously though...just realize what happened and move on. It might happen again, but you just have to take it one day at a time and you can get back on track tomorrow :wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat a light dinner and do some exercise and make sure the next few days I stay on track or go under calories (as long as you are not set to something silly like 1,200 calories). One day is not the end of the world as long as you don't do it regularly, it is no big deal.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    First I freak out a little.:noway: Then I cry a little. :sad: Then I realize, it's not such a big deal after all, eat a smaller dinner, get in a good workout, and move on. :bigsmile:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I exercise more. Take the dog for a long walk, go do laps around the mall, ride my bike, take a hike in a nearby park, and if all else fails, HIIT at the gym (I hate cardio machines, but High Intensity Interval Training peels off the pounds with very little time commitment). If that doesn't correct the issue, then I just go over and try to even out my calorie deficit over the week. If I'm over for the week, I don't sweat it. You have to go over consistently for an extended period of time to create a weight gain.
  • squires03071986
    squires03071986 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would do some exercise, failing that I don't worry about it at all, tomorrow is a new day :-)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I eat, I have 1700 calorie allowance anyway, so if I'm going to be over I try to stay below 2200 ( I don't put any weight on if that ever happens)
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    You have to eat, you can't starve yourself.. consider it lesson learned and move forward.. Enjoy a healthy dinner tonight.

yep, ^^this....and don't skip dinner just because you're over. It will only slow your metabolism. I'd eat something small to keep it up. I would also try to do some cardio if I can, to get the cals down.
  • NINtoTheVoid
    Options
    I would try to squeeze more exercise in, but if I can't, I try to even out the calories with the rest of the week. For example if I ate 300 calories over today, I would eat 100 less for the next 3 days. It happens :)

I do the exact same thing :)
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i do either

1) exercise to earn more

2) count as a maintenance day and eat at those calories

or

3) try to eat as light as possible the rest of the day and look at the weekly average to make up for the day

it all depends on whats going on in my day and how hungry i am :)
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    MFPers are generally here to implove LIFESTYLE... life sometimes has extra peanuts, sometimes has cake at birthday celebrations, sometimes has weddings, and sometimes has stressful days where a bowl of ice cream for dessert is EXACTLY what is needed. Try to fit in extra exercise in the rest of the week or lighter meals in the rest of the week ot counter your "overage", then let it go!