Why do people think it's ok...

Options

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've found something that works for me.

Explain that you've already pre-planned your lunch and are making these changes to avoid medical issues, not to be thin. People tend to let it go when it's medical related.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yesturday I had a friend tell me I couldnt' have a certain sandwich anymore because of the calories. I informed her that I could as long as I didn't get the fries or pop to go along with it and I would still be under my calories for the day. It can be obnoxious to get input but it can also be small talk for some people I guess. I'm sorry your co workers are treating you that way.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    It's hard... most of my friends actually admire my ability to say no and they see the transformation that my body has taken on. lol! one of the women actually seemed worried when she said, gee you're getting skinny. like I was a threat cause she's the skinniest one on staff. lol!!!! ignore it. be nice and smile... sometimes when you're okay with their remarks, they stop. :)
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why don't you "play" along. "I already had a donut", I ate a donut on my way into work, no I'm not only eating toast - but don't elaobrate. As long as you are going to play into his "mean game", he will continue to bother you. Change your response and act like it doesn't bother you.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I can not count the number of times I have read similar threads on here. The same questions comes to mind every time. Who are you doing this for? Are you doing it for you or are you doing it for the approval of all those around you? Why does it matter so much what those around you have to say about how you chose to live your life?

Conversely I have noticed that many people find it necessary to comment on how others live and eat. I'm not entirely sure why this is. I think some are trying to help. They aren't, but they mean well. Others are so confused by the choices others make, it's so far out of their norm that they don't know how to react.

Society, at least in America, is taught from an early age to eat poorly. We are inundated with advertising everywhere we look. Fast food sponsors the Olympics for F's sake. You can't watch 5 minutes of television without seeing adds for crap food. So people buy into this mindset and when you show up for lunch with a salad they get confused. It doesn't fit with what they expect to see. So they react.

If you are happy with your choices, if you are doing this for you, if you know in your mind and heart that you are making the right choices for you, then it matters not what some asshat at work happens to say to you.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I get comments all the time about what I'm eating...Also we have a lot of pitch-ins, so it gets really difficult. We had one today actually! It was taco day - we each broght something to make tacos. One co-worker brought in this really great homemade fresh tomato and bean salsa, so that was a great change! They are always trying to push food on me, but I stay strong!!! They're not the ones that will be with me in the hospital once I have a heart attack from eating all of the bad foods, so I don't care when I say no.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Stab him with a spork end of story ;)

Im allergic to gluten and work in a facility that requires us to cook for patients. The other day a women ask me why I wasnt eating what they made and so I told her. That seemed to do the trick! It is hard sometimes being the only one who brings their lunch to work when everyone else goes to fast food etc. However I remember my reasons for losing weight and keep pluging along :)!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I get teased at work because when they have the birthday celebrations I bring my own dessert and let them have the cake. That way I can control how many calories I am consuming. Makes me a little crazy, but I work out way to hard to waste it on a box cake..lol
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    This is so common. As other posters have said, I see it all the time on the forums.

I don't know why people do it, but it does get annoying. I don't really care what people think of my food choices, but I do get ticked off when people start shoving their lifestyle and opinions at me. The condescending tone is just RUDE and disrespectful.

Since those folks have declared that they don't respect me (through their nasty comments about what I eat or don't eat, how often I exercise, etc.), I see no reason to be respectful of them. If someone says, "You're not having a donut?" in that condescending tone, I look at them and say, "You ARE?". Truthfully, I couldn't give two you-know-what's about what they choose to eat or not eat, but when you turn the tables on people like that they tend to shut up real quick.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Ask them if they'd like to take a big bite of yer *kitten*! That'll get em.
  • kellyg891
    Options
    To constantly and I mean CONSTANTLY criticize and/or comment on my food choices at work?

Most of my co-workers know I'm trying to eat healthier and lose weight. The majority of them really could care less. But there is one guy who feels the need to constantly try to talk me in to "cheating just this once" or commenting on how awful or little or whatever my food/snacks are. I feel like I have to justify everything I'm eating. "Yes, I'm just having toast and water for breakfast." "No I'm not having a donut. Yes I know they're free but I'm still gonna pass."

Anybody else deal with this?

I think your title should have been written as Person and not "people" from only one guy. Maybe you should focus on the people who could care less instead of this one guy.. Why would you care what he thinks anyways? I think you just set your self up for this because you actually listen to this "one guy".. ohh I know its real rocket science here but how about you don't listen to this "one guy".. OP is trolling for sympathy you don't have to justify any thing to him duhh. This thread was ghey...:ohwell:

Umm no actually I wasn't. This "one guy" happened to be the one to do it today. That doesn't mean others don't do it. And I wasn't looking for sympathy. I was looking for advice on how to deal with it. Clearly it's not an issue for you so I'm not really sure why you bothered to respond. Guess you don't have anything better to do. Bless your heart.
  • kellyg891
    Options
    This is so common. As other posters have said, I see it all the time on the forums.

I don't know why people do it, but it does get annoying. I don't really care what people think of my food choices, but I do get ticked off when people start shoving their lifestyle and opinions at me. The condescending tone is just RUDE and disrespectful.

Since those folks have declared that they don't respect me (through their nasty comments about what I eat or don't eat, how often I exercise, etc.), I see no reason to be respectful of them. If someone says, "You're not having a donut?" in that condescending tone, I look at them and say, "You ARE?". Truthfully, I couldn't give two you-know-what's about what they choose to eat or not eat, but when you turn the tables on people like that they tend to shut up real quick.

^^ This a GREAT idea! Thanks!
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    My two cents, people are jealous, and are generally unhappy with their appearance, but for whatever reason are too lazy to do something about. Then in comes you, with your salad, and weight loss, and they feel worse. So if they can somehow make you cheat, then maybe just maybe they won't feel so bad about themselves. Unfortunately they are only covering up there faults, and will never truly be happy unless those around them are also miserable.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable telling this individual that while you appreciate their concern for your well being and interest in your eating habits, you'd rather not discuss it with them? Or something else that is polite but firm?

^^THIS. And if he doesn't stop, you could progress to informing him that you are find his concern to be "harrassment", which your local HR team would frown upon.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Why do people care so much what others say to them? other people dont have to live your life you do. stop caring and all you will hear is "blah blah blah"
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I appreciate comments and criticism on my diary on here but in person I hate when people talk about my food choices in person. It just seems nosy and awkward. Its like...leave me alone and let me eat!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker lecture me everytime I think about eating a cookie. Sure, he is trying to be supportive, but I wouldn't be eating it if it didn't fit my macros!! He knows nothing about what I have eaten or not eaten for the day.
  • 3beans3
    3beans3 Posts: 8
    Options
    Call me rude, but you have no obligation to answer his dumb questions. I work with a bunch of engineers who have NO social skills so I deal with this all the time. You can just say, "I'm sorry, did you have something work-related you needed help with" and completely ignore his personal questions.

This same type of behavior comes from the same people when you're pregnant. WOW, YOU'RE GETTING HUGE. People just have no social graces. It helps to just keep these people at bay by insisting that you will only discuss WORK at WORK. Not your food choices, wardrobe or hairstyle.

If that fails, you can google the horrible ingredients in donuts and the horrible effects it has on your body/health. Then start to lecture him...that will most likely keep him from talking to you about food again.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think that next time he says something make a comment to him about his choices and keep doing it he will get the hint. Like when he says the doughnuts are free say something like yeah but the calories are not. If they comment on your exercise say something like I would invite you to join me but I can see that you won't. I know my examples are kinda lame but my point is to turn the tables on them. They will learn to keep there mouth shuts. Good luck and keep up the good work
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    because they have nothing else better to do.

I generally don't tell people 'I'm on a diet'-once you do, others assume they are the 'food police' and tell you what you can/cannot have. It's none of their business what you eat/don't eat.

Last place I worked at, they were ALWAYS having bagels, doughnuts, cake etc. Then they hired a lady who would bake every other day, and get all offended if you didn't eat whatever she made. Literally, she would walk around, and when she saw someone go into the breakroom, she'd follow them in there, "Did you try my cake/cookies/pie/tart/candy? You MUST have some!" then she'd cut a HUGE slice of whatever or load up a plate with her baked goods and shove it in your face.

I tried saying, "No thank-you" or "I don't eat sweets" then she would get offended, "Everybody likes cake! Just a bite!" and shove a fork in my face. So, I just said, "Thanks for your concern, but I am going to make my food choices for myself"