For those who have lost a lot of weight -- skin question

Options
I am not sure if this is the right section to put this, but here it goes. I have a lot of weight to lose and have a long way to go (as you can see from my ticker) and I am really concerned about excess skin once I hit my goal. I really don't think that surgery will be an option due to the cost. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you!

Replies

• LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your progress! So im using MFP for my last 30 lbs... but have lost close to 100 over the last few years. I notice i do have a lot of loose skin especially in stomach area (pretty embarrassing) however mild strength training to help tighten up and loads and loads of water is what my doctor has suggested. so far so good i can start to see the difference. It gets better just takes a bit longer than we'd like :) good luck
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Time helps. Basically, your genetics, highest weight, how long you were at your highest weight, etc will determine the amount of loose skin you will get. The good news is that the amount of loose skin you have will lessen with time. I don't know when it stops but I noticed year 1 was different than year 2 and that was different than year 3.
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    VERY good question! Was wondering this as well. I'm older and I don't think building muscle is going to do it all. I caried the weight (60 lbs. over) for too long and my skin is also starting to sag naturally with age, so I have a double whammy. I will be interested to read what others have to say.
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im worried about the same thing! I've been making it a point lately to get a little work out in everyday because I hear that is supposed to help. Ive had two kids and got up to 260 at one point, so Im realisticly thinking that I wont be able to get rid of all of it, but I want to improve my chances of limiting as much skin as possible. When Im skinny I want to be able to wear a tighter shirt and nobody be able to tell I have loose skin...
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water

Strength train

Lose it slowly

Moisturize

About 90 of the 95 lbs ive lost has been from my belly, and my loose skin is very minor, I think even with more strength training it will go away completely.
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    McBully--VERY good advice--thanks! I gots the belly fat to lose, too. A question though: how does the water help?
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    I heard that moisturizing with Palmer's cocoa butter with vitamin e or pure shea butter helps with the elasticity.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's my fear too but it's nice to see the posting on here and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I sometimes watch the Extreme Weight loss ask where did the skin go. Then I saw one of those programs that when the person lost a certain amount weight and they measured the skin, they qualified to get the skin removed. The surgeon is part of the program, so they don't have to pay for the skin removal. I think that is great.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I hat my skin on my belly.... ;(
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have some issues with this. I have heard it will take 2 yrs to tighten up...Is this true?? :(((( I also heard about skin brushing, has anyoine tried it??
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I asked my doc about this at the beginning of my journey and she suggested drinking lots of water (to keep the skin supple) and to begin resistance training. I think it also depends on your age and genetics too. It took about 6 months for the loose skin to snap back but it eventually did. Good luck on your journey.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 pounds. I have minimal loose skin.

I have age on my side, being only 24.

However I:

A) Lost slowly and sustainably--let me body have a chance to catch up. It took me almost 2 years.
    B) Drank lots of water
    C) Used lotion daily
    D) Strength training made a huge difference.
  • JustMagpie
    JustMagpie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For the stomach area it is most likely the hardest to come back. Especially if us women have had children. It is more then just the skin coming back into place. I have only lost about 33 lbs over a year. I have that dreded apron affect now. I have roughly 50 lbs to go and only seeing it get thinner but worse on how it hangs. This is not something I see going away.

So In roughly a year ocne I hit 150. I will go and see what is required for that tummy tuck. What weight I need to get to and what is required to tone. I am expecting to spend about 7 to 8k to have it done. The skin is not the worst of the worst. Great weight loss causes other issues. The muscles are stretched and need to be brought together. Exercise helps but it does not help the hernias ect that are found after.

So for me surgury is the choice and something I am ever so much looking forward to.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    . A question though: how does the water help?

Drink it, it moisturizes from the inside out.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training do you all suggest?
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight slowly is great. It gives your skin time to shrink.
    Drinking the water like a camel does.
    Moisturize.

If you have cruddy genetics when it comes to skin elasticity...you may have saggy skin no matter what.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you dont have that far to go actually.

lose it slow, drink restupilous amounts of water, build your strength as well and then be patient, it matches up over time if you have good genetics and didnt stay at your highest weight for too too long.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 pounds and didn't really have loose skin until the last 10 pounds or so. I hope this will not be an issue for you.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I carried way too much weight for over 45 years. I started to notice the loose skin after losing my first 50 - 60 lbs. and was very concerned with it because of my age. I didn't really believe that I was going to be able to do much about it. With time, strength training, lots of ab work, and continued cardio it is beginning to tighten up quite a bit. I still have some left to work on, but it is getting to the point that it doesn't bother me much now. Keeping a positive attitude about this as I continue to work on it! :drinker:
  • mrslivingroom
    mrslivingroom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's really encouraging to hear that it can improve with time and training. I'm 34 and have just lost 4.5 stone. I've also had two kids, so to be honest I just thought it was something I had to accept. It's not really noticeable with clothes on. I look a bit like my skin's too big for me in places and even have crepe like skin on my neck! still it beats being fat any day of the week ;O)