Is a cheap HRM a false economy?

Options
2»

Replies

• CarolElaine25
    Options
    I agree with those who recommend Polar. I have an FT7 - slightly more expensive than the FT4 (mine was $110 at Sports Chalet), but I love it. I'm a cheapskate, but when it comes to fitness related things, I'm willing to pay a little more for a quality product.

Timex HRMs are said to be off by a significant percentage (I think they overestimate calories burned), so I don't recommend those.
  • levstein
    levstein Posts: 74
    Options
    I got a polar ft7 off ebay for £40. I was using an omrom pedometer to tell me my calories burned and it turned out the pedometer was giving 3 times more calories burned than the hrm and also mfp was telling me the calories burned were 40% more than actually burned. I'm glad I don't eat back my exercise calories. A real eye-opener and a worthwhile investment otherwise we would all be as well to guesstimate.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I was looking at a Timex one that was about £30, but I can get an FT4 for about £20 more so I think I'll just go for it, you've persuaded me!

Great advice MFPs :)

Great choice Hun, there is currently one on eBay at a buy it now for £40 if your interested it's the polar ft4 x
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who recommend Polar. I have an FT7 - slightly more expensive than the FT4 (mine was $110 at Sports Chalet), but I love it. I'm a cheapskate, but when it comes to fitness related things, I'm willing to pay a little more for a quality product.

Timex HRMs are said to be off by a significant percentage (I think they overestimate calories burned), so I don't recommend those.
    agreed...I had a Timex it showed almost double the burn as my polar FT4. The FT4 is simple & works great.