Do we really need 8 - 8oz of water every day?

Options
Trying to chug down another 8oz before I leave work for the day, I wondered how much truth there is to drinking 8 - 8oz of water every day.

So of course what did I do? I google'd it! Some interesting information in the link below. What are you thoughts?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day&page=2

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I drink 120oz of water a day ..... What?
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I drink 5-6 liters of water each day (170-200 ounces) because I'm thirsty all the time. But, I love being well hydrated... never have to haul water around with me while I'm out on cardio walks and runs!
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water everyday as this helps with your skin while you lose weight.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 3 liters a day. I find that if I don't get at least 2 liters before I leave work then I have a headache.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have gotten to the point where I actually crave water. I think it makes a world of difference in how I feel when I drink more water.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    I've heard for the most effective weight loss and detoxification you should drink half your body weight in oz. more if you drink caffeine.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Many say you only need six to eight, I find I NEED my eight or I feel sick. Sometimes I take in 10 of plain water and two of coffee. I think a lot has to do with your diet (you need more water if you're eating a lot of fiber) and exercise (if you're working out a lot, or sweating, you need more). But listen to your body, if you feel thirsty, reach for water. Don't force it down your throat because too much can throw your electrolytes off and make you ill.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    I drink 5-6 liters of water each day (170-200 ounces) because I'm thirsty all the time. But, I love being well hydrated... never have to haul water around with me while I'm out on cardio walks and runs!

That's alot of water!!
    I am lucky if I get 9-12 a day!!
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    At least 3 liters a day for me though trying to up it to 150 oz.. Here is a link to see how much you should be drinking!

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Someone once told me in hs for band camp that what you drink in the Am hydrates you for the afternoon, what you drink in the afternoon hydrates you in the evening, what you drink in the evening hydrates you in the am. I find this to be true for me. Helps a lot.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I drink 1.5 gallons a day. And yes, I pee a lot.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    Options
    I should just stick to my typical answer in health and weight loss...

Find what works for you and do it providing it isn't harmful and you personally don't have ill effects from it. 5-6 liters of water would be ridiculous for most people, I enjoy it... it works for me, I feel great and continue to lose weight. I have people on my friends list who hate water, don't drink it, and feel great and lose weight.
  • rdjvesey
    Options
    How does drinking other things like milk or juice factor in?
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I notice a huge difference in my appetite when I drink 64 or more ounces. I eat waaaay less. (like 800 calories a day less) Today I have not had a drop of water; I have, however, eaten like 1000 too many calories!!!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    Options
    How does drinking other things like milk or juice factor in?

Liquid calories, water has none... but will still help you stay hydrated.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There is a point where it is TOO much water (that is NOT directed at the OP but at some of the responses). I just wanted to throw that out there as some people must not be aware of this.

It's not a competition, it is a healthy lifestyle. Just sayin'......:smile:
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've read you should drink half of your body weight in ounces to stay properly hydrated.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've read you should drink half of your body weight in ounces to stay properly hydrated.

Now THAT seems reasonable! :smile:
  • OliveCarsey
    Options
    There is no "right" answer. Some people drink a lot of water, some people don't drink any plain water. Find what makes you feel best. I try to drink at least 12 cups of water a day and if I don't I feel sluggish- yet if I drink more than 18 I also feel sluggish.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    Options

If we could get that in beer where calories didn't count unless you exceeded that number... I'd tremble with excitement.