how far is too much under my calorie goal?

Options
Since I've been doing South Beach I've been at least 400 calories under my goal every day. The days I work it I'm usually over 700 calories over. However, I'm not feeling hungry at all, and I've been way way over my protein every day.

My question is: how low is too low?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The first question I would ask is: Are you talking about being under your calories according to your goals set in MFP? Be aware if you already set it too loose weight you are already under your maintenance calories so if you stay at 400 under this number you will be too low, if done for an extended period of time. If you set MFP to loose 2 pounds a week you are already under your calories by 1000 per day, although MFP would show you at your goal, going more under than your goal is not a good idea if your weight loss goal is aggressive (1-2 pounds/week)
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Thats a really good question....bumping it so I can remember to look for the response :-)
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    The first question I would ask is: Are you talking about being under your calories according to your goals set in MFP? Be aware if you already set it too loose weight you are already under your maintenance calories so if you stay at 400 under this number you will be too low, if done for an extended period of time. If you set MFP to loose 2 pounds a week you are already under your calories by 1000 per day, although MFP would show you at your goal, going more under than your goal is not a good idea if your weight loss goal is aggressive (1-2 pounds/week)

I'm using the 1200 calories set by MFP. I'm getting about 800 calories a day, eating things like sirloin steak. Lots of lean protein and fresh vegetables. I'm in Phase 1 of South Beach so I haven't had any fruit or bread, but I'll slowly begin adding good, complex carbs with a low glycemic index back into my diet after this initial two week period.
  • mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are actually two things at play here. The first is your 1200 calories as set by MFP. You will lose weight if you did nothing but consume 1200 calories a day without exercise over time. Usually, if you drop your caloric intake down below that number or one close to it you risk slowing your metabolism to the point your body begins to enter what is sometimes termed "survival mode." In this stage you body will slow down its metabolism and consume muscle first, since muscle takes the most calories to sustain. It might also store excess glycogen faster, causing you to lose little or no weight or plateau after initial weight loss.

Second, since you are consuming large amounts of protein the muscle loss is not as drastic as it otherwise would be. So, while you might be in "survival mode" your body doesn't appear to be losing as much muscle as fast.

What I anticipate is rapid weight loss followed by a plateau period or even weight gain once you start adding back carbohydrates. I must admit that I am not a fan of South Beach diet or any other "diet" that restricts or excludes food choices, not to say they are not effective in the short term. I think you would be better off increasing your caloric intake to 1200 or something close. You weight loss, even on South Beach, may not be as drastic or as quick, but it will probably last longer.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    800 cals a day = not good, unless you're a 3ft, 70 lbs midget with 30% BF sitting on the couch all day. :indifferent:

Yeah, you'll lose weight for 2-3 weeks, then it'll stop.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would double check your measuring and calculations. It's not easy to go below a 1200 cal/day eating plan.

If you are just starting out, and you have a lot of weight to lose, then any 'fears" of "starvation mode" are probably unfounded. An overweight body with a lot of extra fat will respond differently to a low or very low calorie eating plan differently than one that is, say only 10%-20% overweight.

The biggest concern with that type of eating plan centers around the fact that it is not normal. Research does show that the more extraordinary or unusual the weight loss effort, the higher the chance (like a 95+% chance) that all lost weight will be regained within 2 years.

Another issue is that, if you are not eating enough food, or the right kinds of food, you will begin to have trouble fueling your exercise activities. And, if you fall victim to the "protein cult" way of thinking, you will also crowd out other important nutrients. From what you describe, I would find that more an area of concern than that actual low calories at this point. IMO, you are either undercounting your calories, or, you will quickly find that 800 cal is unsustainable, so that part will take care of itself.

Food diets, "timed" diets, diets that require usual structures of meals and overemphasis on one type of food or one food group--none of these work in the long term. None.