One meal a day to lose weight

Options

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Actually if you can do this when you are overweight, and won't binge, it is okay. Everyone is different. I did this for a short time last year when I was still over weight and two of my doctors said is was fine. I had long strong workouts at the gym and what I ate was super healthy. I built muscle. I listen to my body. I felt great. Once I got lean this was obviously not necessary and can hurt you IF you don't have enough excess body fat for you body to draw from.

I've maintained for a year now. The proof is in the pudding.

I did not watch the video so I didn't see the "unhealthy look in her eyes and skin", but I know it did not make me unhealthy and in fact my recent DXA scan shows that at 51.5 years old I have the bone density of an above average athletic 30 year old and my doctors say I am as healthy as ever. And I eat less calories then MFP recommends except for protein I am a little over sometimes. Again, for me the proof is in the pudding.

but this girl is under 100 pounds, and eating primarily junk.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Since you are supposed to be 18 or older to sign up for MFP, there shouldn't BE kids that will see it. Now granted, I know there are a few who lie about their age but we shouldn't have to censor ourselves because of it.

Semantics..vulnerable? So if someone who was ED posted with same title and same link that's ok? No forethought necessary?

Because, just like being under the age of 18 when signing up, it is against site rules to promote an ED. So no, you could not post about an ED and not expect to get in trouble. What that girl is doing, based on comments I've seen, is Intermittent Fasting (IF) which is a recognized way of eating and there are a couple of well known, long time members of this forum who do it. The real problem is that the girl isn't doing it in a healthy manner. She's eating junk (Slim Jims?) for her one meal, not exercising, and states that her goal weight is 87 lbs. Highly unrealistic (unless she's a pre-adolescent, again I haven't watched the video).

Doing IF is not promoting EDs nor is it an ED (if done properly).
  • Evoken
    Evoken Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I actually clicked on this link to comment on the Idocity of the person who would just eat 1 meal a day... and am i happy or what.. to see you making people aware of the how stupid it is to follow this kind of a diet... :flowerforyou: :drinker:

,, Did any 1 notice she had such dark circles under here eyes.. ..:huh:
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Her meal is probably ridiculously small. My friend is doing IF and eats an entire rotisserie chicken as a meal. I'm pretty sure how many meals doesn't matter as much as what's in them.
  • kingpt11
    kingpt11 Posts: 27
    Options
    Well...

Try to research a bit on Intermittent fasting:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

or 5:2 diet, before u jump ur guns into the girl.

Although, my personal opinion is that It’s far more important WHAT you eat and HOW MUCH you eat than WHEN you eat it.
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yea...thought that would get your attention. I was on youtube looking for clean eating videos and found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4apj82Gql0&feature=related

This makes me so sad for her, and mad, because she is telling people to do this diet, and ALL the comments on this video are from people congratulating her, or asking her advice. Wtf??

that is SO wrong!!!! if you don't eat enough, you will not get the vitamins and minerals your body so desperately needs! plus you WILL NOT lose weight. your body will not release fat if you are not eating enough!
  • elyelyse
    Options
    Well...

Try to research a bit on Intermittent fasting:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

or 5:2 diet, before u jump ur guns into the girl.

Although, my personal opinion is that It’s far more important WHAT you eat and HOW MUCH you eat than WHEN you eat it.

Well... if you watch her video, you will see that her version of IF involves eating whatever junk food she wants regardless of the fact that she's getting very little actual nutrition. I highly doubt it's the same IF routine followed by many healthy people on MFP.
  • kingpt11
    kingpt11 Posts: 27
    Options
    yeah :) i only mean that she means well, dispite she is making mistakes.

My point here is that you can do Intermittent fasting if done properly.

Its not "OMG!! One meal per day!?!?!?"

Thank god we have MFP. And poor her, she doesnt know about it.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    I commented on her video... and her answer, which didn't surprise me was:

"sometimes the only goal is 2 look healthy and not actually b healthy" :huh:
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    smh*
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    If people are dumb enough to do this then they kind of deserve what happens to them,
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Wow someone wrote that they are getting headaches and she responded saying it is NORMAL!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!? And she eats mcdonalds and crappy food for her one meal. Way to promote an eating disorder....
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat one meal a day....there's nothing wrong with it. This whole idea of eating 3 meals and 2 snacks or 6 small meals a day is all a ploy.

Same. To think that humanity evolved to need to eat constantly in order to perform optimally is ridiculous. I generally eat one "meal" a day, too.
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I ruined my metabolism doing something like this. Ironically, I wasn't really overweight at the time, so I didn't do it to lose weight. I was just lazy. I worked full time and didn't feel like eating breakfast in the morning or packing a lunch, so I got used to being hungry. Then I got pregnant and needed to eat more and gained about 35 lbs too much, which I never lost. My eating habits turned into binging and fasting, and since I was too lazy to cook when I binged I binged on fast food.

Not pretty. I am lucky I didn't gain more weight than I did.

So I've been spending the last 5 or 6 weeks working hard to change my lifestyle and repair my metabolism. I dealt with metabolism manipulation lot in my former career, so I've always known what to do, it was always just a matter of doing the work. You CAN fix a "ruined metabolism", but it's hard. And it so wasn't worth it to just be lazy.

Anyway, I don't want anybody to think that a ruined metabolism is a myth or that it can't happen to them. Metabolism is different for different people, and long term effects are different. But there will likely be an effect, and getting back on track and fixing it isn't easy.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    I can easily eat one meal a day....there's nothing wrong with it. This whole idea of eating 3 meals and 2 snacks or 6 small meals a day is all a ploy.

Same. To think that humanity evolved to need to eat constantly in order to perform optimally is ridiculous. I generally eat one "meal" a day, too.

did you actually watch the videos? or are you just reacting to the "one meal a day is bad" comments without having seen this girl?

She talks about how at one point her one meal was a bag of chex mix from the vending machine. The second video she says her dinner is typically pizza or McDonalds (french fries and one chicken nugget). She admits that she regularly falls off the wagon (of course! because what she is doing is completely unsustainable.)

To quote her:
    "I am really hungry, it's kind of tortuous"
    "that hardest time is when I smell their food, and I know I can't eat"

sorry, that doesn't sound healthy at all to me. Yes, Intermittent Fasting is totally a legit way to eat. that is NOT what this girl is doing.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Since you are supposed to be 18 or older to sign up for MFP, there shouldn't BE kids that will see it. Now granted, I know there are a few who lie about their age but we shouldn't have to censor ourselves because of it.

Semantics..vulnerable? So if someone who was ED posted with same title and same link that's ok? No forethought necessary?

Because, just like being under the age of 18 when signing up, it is against site rules to promote an ED. So no, you could not post about an ED and not expect to get in trouble. What that girl is doing, based on comments I've seen, is Intermittent Fasting (which is a recognized way of eating and there are a couple of well known, long time members of this forum who do it. The real problem is that the girl isn't doing it in a healthy manner. She's eating junk (Slim Jims?) for her one meal, not exercising, and states that her goal weight is 87 lbs. Highly unrealistic (unless she's a pre-adolescent, again I haven't watched the video).

I am an IF. I know it can b done...but because I eat the way I do I choose friends who are not vulnerable to EDs and will therefore misinterpret my way of eating as supportive of their behavior (which can also mean bad food choices n no exercise) The OP deliberately chose a title that she knew would get attention for the very reason it did and then posted a link to someone who has the potential to further damage another with an ED and their view of food. It was self serving and self righteous.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Because, just like being under the age of 18 when signing up, it is against site rules to promote an ED. So no, you could not post about an ED and not expect to get in trouble. What that girl is doing, based on comments I've seen, is Intermittent Fasting (which is a recognized way of eating and there are a couple of well known, long time members of this forum who do it. The real problem is that the girl isn't doing it in a healthy manner. She's eating junk (Slim Jims?) for her one meal, not exercising, and states that her goal weight is 87 lbs. Highly unrealistic (unless she's a pre-adolescent, again I haven't watched the video).

I am an IF. I know it can b done...but because I eat the way I do I choose friends who are not vulnerable to EDs and will therefore misinterpret my way of eating as supportive of their behavior (which can also mean bad food choices n no exercise) The OP deliberately chose a title that she knew would get attention for the very reason it did and then posted a link to someone who has the potential to further damage another with an ED and their view of food. It was self serving and self righteous.

Uh ok whatever...I put the title of my thread as I did, because it's the same title as the video. Maybe we should all sensor everything we post, because someone might take it the wrong way and develop an eating disorder *rolls eyes*
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I usually eat one meal a day.

And that meal is roughly 1400 calories.
    nothing wrong with this at all if it works for you
  • proudaunt
    Options
    Bump for later
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options

did you actually watch the videos? or are you just reacting to the "one meal a day is bad" comments without having seen this girl?

She talks about how at one point her one meal was a bag of chex mix from the vending machine. The second video she says her dinner is typically pizza or McDonalds (french fries and one chicken nugget). She admits that she regularly falls off the wagon (of course! because what she is doing is completely unsustainable.)

To quote her:
    "I am really hungry, it's kind of tortuous"
    "that hardest time is when I smell their food, and I know I can't eat"

sorry, that doesn't sound healthy at all to me. Yes, Intermittent Fasting is totally a legit way to eat. that is NOT what this girl is doing.

Honestly, I was just responding to the one meal thing. I was at work and couldn't put the sound on :P Watching it now and it's pretty awful....