1200 question

jquintinjr
jquintinjr Posts: 191
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
if i eat small meals every 2hrs throughout my day and come night time i only have eaten 800cal or so will my body go in starvation mode or no because ive been feeding my metabolism every 2hrs

Replies

• pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    i believe if you are exercising as well, then yes you will go into starvation mode. Your body needs at least 1200 calories per day to just function.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    It depends. Some women need more than 1200 per day, some women need less. 1200 is just an average. I haven't been here long, but can already hear Banks slamming his head against his desk....

But I think that for almost ANY woman, 800 per day just plain isn't enough calories. ESPECIALLY if you're working out. EAT MORE. :p

If you're just not thirsty, I recommend drinking calories. Have a glass of low-sugar juice or some milk, maybe?
  • are you sure? i have eaten only 800 a day before and i dont feel dif
  • I think you need to eat more. Add a glass of milk, maybe some cheese, eat more calories every 2 hours.
  • MercuryBlue
    are you sure? i have eaten only 800 a day before and i dont feel dif

You're not going to go into starvation mode after one day. The odd day, here and there, at 800 calories won't kill you. However, if you do this long enough (or too often) and it will probably wreak havoc on your metabolism.
  • MercuryBlue
    Double post... crapola.
  • btw im a guy lol. im the one on the right in my pic. haha. even though i ate like 800 cal i got like 130g of protein
  • Aren't guys supposed to eat even more calories than women.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    EAT MORE!

1200 is what you burn if you do nothing all day. Walking, talking, ect all burn cals. I would say that you need to at least eat 1200, more if you do exercise.
  • so what would you guys reccomend. btw i work at a grocerie store and am pushing 7 shopping carts at a time for a solid 30min. is that exercise?
  • help plz
  • but on weekends i eat til my stomach hurts( mostly carbs and stuff) so does that make up for my weekday low cal count? like mon-thur i avg 900cal a day and on weekends i avg 4000 or more a day
  • http://health.discovery.com/tools/calculators/basal/basal.html

Try this website. It's a simple calculator that helps figure out what your basal metabolic rate is. This is the amount of calories that you need to consume to keep your current weight. From what my trainer at the gym told me depending on activity, for losing weight cut out 3500 calories a week. Hope this helps. Having one day of low calorie consumption will not hurt you none, just don't make it a daily habit :wink:
  • MercuryBlue
    btw im a guy lol. im the one on the right in my pic. haha. even though i ate like 800 cal i got like 130g of protein

Ah, you're a guy! Well, then I DOUBLE what I said before. I'm sorry I assumed without thinking that you were a woman based on the 1200 number, which is the lowest number recommeded for women! In my mind i was like 1200=woman.

I do believe men are supposed to eat even MORE than that....
  • MercuryBlue
    UGH WTF IS WITH DOUBLE POSTS TODAY?!?!?!
  • haha the 2x post is ok whatevs. but yes i am a guy. should i eat more than 900 a weekday? cuz on weekends i eat 5000 a day
  • UGH WTF IS WITH DOUBLE POSTS TODAY?!?!?!
    haha the 2x post is ok whatevs. but yes i am a guy. should i eat more than 900 a weekday? cuz on weekends i eat 5000 a day
  • I don't think it's a very good idea to binge on the weekends. You should try to get at least 1200 every day, and if you want to eat more on weekends that is fine, but 5000 calories is an enormous amount of food.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Here's a shocker...I know a girl who is anorexic and she eats 900 calories a day (not net, she exercises too). So this is a GIRL and she has an eating disorder. She weighs like 95 pounds. You should definitely be eating more to fuel your body, and you should be eating more because you're a guy and you have more lean muscle mass than a woman does (which is why everyone has been saying guys should eat more than girls).

As far as the huge numbers on the weekends, why not balance it out during the week so you're not taking in massive amounts just on weekends? Your body will thank you for it :) Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    UGH WTF IS WITH DOUBLE POSTS TODAY?!?!?!
    haha the 2x post is ok whatevs. but yes i am a guy. should i eat more than 900 a weekday? cuz on weekends i eat 5000 a day

Darn! What do you eat on the weekends to get in 5000 calories a day?
This discussion has been closed.