Push ups (the exercise, not the bra...)

Options
I have *never* been able to do one single push up. I'm 5ft 2 / 156lb at present and I mainly stick to using the exercise bike for calorie-burning. Yesterday I started the 30 Day Shred, but I can't do one single push up! I have never been able to - even when I try doing 'lady push ups' for a while first. Any hints / tips on how to defeat this exercise would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    are you having issues literally pushing up with your arms (is it a strength thing) or other issues.

my wrists used to kill me when i first started, then i tried using dbs instead of having "flat hands". i still do "lady" push ups, but i can do a real one.

Other suggestions would be to start of with a machine. (this is the same theory i used for pull ups). I'm not sure the name of it or if you have a gym you go to, but it's like a bench press machine - but instead of laying you are sitting up & instead of pushing up, you are pushing OUT - this should strengthen your arms. I'd strive to get to like 75 / 80% of your body weight on the machine then try push ups again...

also try core strengthening things (to help with your form when you do a push up) - planks & othe yoga moves can help with this.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the lady pushups until you can do regular pushups. If you keep up the the shred, you'll be there before you know it. My arms increased in strength SO much during the shred. Just loved the whole 30 days (after about Day 4 however :laugh: )
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started out doing them up against a wall instead, less resistance but still helped build up the muscle.
    Also I recommend the 100 pushup challenge when you're able to do one or two on the floor (even the "lady ones")
    http://hundredpushups.com/
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    keep trying at working at it.

just like pullups its an annoying exercise when you cant even do 1.. but its worth it.
    once you can do at least one.. you can keep doing 1 and trying for 2 until you can do 2......etc...

totally worth the effort though. you'll appreciate it everyday... even just putting something on a shelf will be easier. lol.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    against the wall is a great idea!! i didn't think of that b/c i use machines when i can't move up in free weights due to no spotter or what not...

Those mini-challenges aren't no punk neither! great suggestions!

And don't get discouraged, push ups are a great exercise for your whole upper body & core - it's not a "sissy" exercise anyone can do. Like i said, I do girly ones mostly - but I can do regular ones - I just choose to do sissy ones lol.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When I started doing push-ups I had to start with the wall... I called them wall-ups... LOL. Then when I got a little stronger I used the counter in my bathroom. Then eventually a made it all the way to the floor for a real push-up. I am up to about 10 to 15 at a time in one set of push-ups. They are so hard but worth every minute.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Reduce the weight via changing the angle, until you can do one at 90 degrees. There's a lot of room between zero (wall) and 90 (floor). You can do against a wall, then on a countertop, progess down to a chair, until you hit the floor.

Then, you can start doing decline push-ups to transfer more weight to your upper body. Or have a kid sit on you.

(EDIT: Jaccyber posted at the same time. Excellent.)

The underlying thing skill is, if you have an exercise you can't do... break it down into simpler/lighter things until you can do one. This is how you get to your first pull-up, if you can't do one.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I started out doing them up against a wall instead, less resistance but still helped build up the muscle.
    Also I recommend the 100 pushup challenge when you're able to do one or two on the floor (even the "lady ones")

This is good, or go find a smith machine where you can adjust the bar to the height where it is still challenging, but not too hard.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Yea pushups!! :) Don't start doing them on the wall, there isn't enough resistance to help. Start at an incline, like a ledge, counter top, high table, bench and then work your way down to a lower and lower incline until you are on the floor. Also, push ups are not just arm strenght, it takes a lot of core strenght as well so make sure you work in doing Plank as well, it will help.

Being able to do "real" pushups is probably my proudest accomplishment thus far. I couldn't even do a half of one when I started and now I can do 24 in row!! :happy: It wasn't easy and it took a long time but when I could finally do them I was so thrilled and proud! My next goal is to do one pullup but I think that's going to take longer, heheheh

Good luck and you can do it!!!
  • bmr5770
    bmr5770 Posts: 13
    Options
    My daughter and I have been using the 'Convict Conditioning' routines. In that, you also start with wall push-ups and progress once you've met a certain number of sets (and repetions per set). If you search youtube for convict condtioning, there's some videos you can see with the different push-up 'level's the the routine has you do.

It's slow (i.e. this is not a 30,60,90 day program), but really works to build you up (my daughter and I are at kneeling push-ups now).
  • Aidan2312
    Aidan2312 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    keep at the lady push ups but try to do them deeper and as you get stronger you will then progress to full pressups. When you manage one full pressup, the next day do two, three the next day.........................it will happen. Good luck!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem with the pushups in 30DS. I have gained some strength and am able to do more but I'd just like to learn how to do the non modified version. Thanks to your post, ^ I think I'm going to try the push up challenge. :bigsmile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Check out the App - 100 push-ups

It is a 6 week program to help a person get from 0 - 100 push-ups in a single session. (kind of like the Couch to 5K program for running)

Even if it takes you longer to get to the target of 100. This is a pretty decent way to progress.

I would also suggest that you set a goal. If 100 push-ups are too many, set it lower. But, make it somewhat of a challenge. Then at every workout, do push-ups. It will amaze you how quickly you will achieve your goal once you set your mind and focus to it!

All the best!
  • minxed11
    Options
    Wow - thanks everyone, what great tips!

I think for me, it is a strength/core thing. On attempting to do one push up, I can lower myself about one inch, and I either have to stop there or I face-plant the floor - there's nothing in between! In answer to kare71913, My right wrist also clicks (but doesn't hurt) when I do 'lady push ups', but I think that is just something weird about my body on the right hand side - my right shoulder also clicks whenever I just put it straight up in the air and then back down (or doing the arm swings at the beginning of the 30DS warm up) and my right hip clicks when I swing my leg over the bath to get out of the shower. So I don't think any of that is getting in the way of push ups but I guess it just generally makes me want to strengthen up all over!

I'm going to try changing the angle and doing more reps as lots of you have suggested, and building up my strength slowly. Thanks very much guys! :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One I haven't heard mentioned so far - Negatives. They've very good for going from push-ups on knees to doing a regular one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pHvvD7oqA
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    maybe also try bench pressing / or dumbell pressing - this will strengthen those muscles.