Tunes suitable for kids

Options
Hi all... so I bought my niece an iPod nano for her birthday. She's 10, so I'll have to load the music on there for her. Outside of my gospel tracks, I was looking through my secular selection and truly there are slim pickins...everything is about love (which is cool for me, but shouldn't be on her mind yet), sex (absolutely not), breakups... you get the idea. What are some songs that have lyrics you wouldn't mind your kid knowing EVERY ONE of? Some may not think it's a big deal, but music is powerful.

A little help from y'all would be appreciated... would you please reply with at least the song title and artist... and if you have time to include the youtube link, I'd be SO grateful. Thanks.

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Most of the Beatles stuff is safe and child friendly but you need to pick and chose for each album: The white album for example has "Octupus' Garden" and "Ob-La-De2 but unsuitable would be "Happiness is a warm gun". My kids both loved Bob Marley (his lyrics are clean and the melodies are very simple) "Three little birds" is a great simple child friendly song.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Metallica

Get her started off on the right foot!

lol, in all seriousness, ask her what she's into. She'll be appreciative that there is music on there that SHE likes.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 9 and she loves the Kidz Bop stuff. One Direction, The Wanted, Selena Gomez, and a slew of country stuff too. Just find out what she likes!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Metallica

lol, in all seriousness, ask her what she's into. She'll be appreciative that there is music on there that SHE likes.

fair point. OPs daughter is 10, I was speaking as a father of two girls aged 8 and 5, they used to listen to what i provided for them but now the eldest is developing her own tastes.
  • vqnerdballs
    Options
    I was going to say the Beatles as well, especially some of their more esoteric ones. "Shiny Happy People" by REM is a good song, too, as is "The End of the World as We Know It." And some classic Michael Jackson couldn't hurt, like some tracks from Thriller and Bad.
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My son is 5 and loves his music. One Direction are a good band for children, you could get the "Up All Night" album, it's clean and it's safe. Also the group JLS, they've released a few albums but my son has their first album which is self-entitled JLS. Both these bands are hugely popular with children her age. I know it's a little old school, but Abba are clean, my lad will listen to a few of their songs but others he won't.
    Hope this helps! xxx
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    We bought my 6 year old son a cheap MP3 player 4 (he LOVES music) and loaded a lot of stuff from the 60s and 70s on there. He was obsessed with American Pie for the longest time! My husband and I even have a playlist on both of our iPods with his name on it!

Here's a short list of what he and his 3 year old sister listen to and LOVE....

American Pie - Don McClean
    Kodachrome - Paul Simon
    Magic - Pilot
    The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
    Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet
    Fins - Jimmy Buffet
    Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
    I think I Love You - The Partridge Family
    The Show Must Go On - Three Dog Night
    Saturday Night - Bay City Rollers
    Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
    Back To School Again - Grease 2 Soundtrack
    Cool Rider - Grease 2 Soundtrack
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I'm actually compiling what I call my "baby friendly" music list for when my baby is born. I've made a playlist of non-offensive enjoyable indie rock. My list includes: Death Cab For Cutie, Florence and the Machine, The Decemberists, Brand New, Placebo and others. I listen to my list regularly and if I hear a song that includes profanity, too loud/too fast, screaming, or risque topics, I remove them. I have deleted about 50 songs off my list that I deemed non-baby friendly. But so far what I've listening to is very relaxing and soothing.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    80s..my 8 and 9 year olds LOVE 80s music
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Try some classical music. It might be instantly hated, or it might serve to start the child off with broader musical horizons.

Perhaps some Ludwig Van.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Metallica

I actually did ask her... her recommendation was "Hips Don't Lie" By Shakira ... Uhhh no. SMH
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Metallica

Why so serious? I started my son off on Metallica from the time he was still in the womb. He's a huge fan to this day! :happy:
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Y'know what I totally agree with 35andRunning:

Paul Simon is a great choice! I think I'd go for some good Beatles, Peter Gabriel, Queen, some of the Who songs are pretty catchy,...

I was brought up on Yes, Ni Kershaw, Camel, Deep Purple, Queen, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Def Leppard, Phil Collins...

Oh saying that, Phil Collins has done a load of Disney films so that might be a good option (Off the top of my head Brother Bear was one)

I think a mix of old/classic and new is good - expand her mind while she's young! I definitely appreciate that my dad did that for me when I was young.
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also - probably not for the 10 year old but for anyone on here with really young kids - there's a hilarious bunch of people who have released albums called 'ROCK a bye baby' which are all lullaby covers of classic albums by bands like radiohead, nirvana, pink floyd :bigsmile:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What about Motown? A lot of that music is upbeat and pretty "safe"
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Check out Lecrae and Trip Lee! They are off the hook, and totally clean
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have all of the Disney soundtracks on my iPod!
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Friends I went to high school with are in a pretty successful kid's band called Rocknoceros.

All kid-friendly - and more importantly - unlike Raffi or the Wiggles or whatever abomination is passed off as kid's music these days, will not make YOU want to gouge your ears out after hearing it.

They have managed to successfully tread the line between "what kids like" and "music parents can listen to."

So....check them out!

http://www.rocknoceros.com/
  • pawheeler1
    pawheeler1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Check out Lecrae and Trip Lee! They are off the hook, and totally clean

This
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My son (4) listens to alot of the Disney soundtracks. I recently got him listening to Muppets The Green Album. There are a couple of tracks on there he absolutely loves. Barenaked Ladies release a "kid's album" a few years ago, Snack Time, that isn't too bad. Other than that he listens to what I listen to.