Toppings for chicken breasts.

Options
Hi.

I've been grilling chicken breasts with paprika and a little garlic...and it's fine for now, but I can't think of what else to put on them to switch it up a bit! I'm worried I'll get bored.

Any ideas?

E x

Replies

• tsign36
    tsign36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We do chicken all the time too, but we do put tons of different things on it. Not only to spice it up a bit but with kids at home we all like things to look a little different at night!

Here are some of the things we do...

cook and onion in 1tsp olive oil until caramelized(about 20 min on med low) and then add in about 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, S&P and then top the chicken

We top often with Salsa, Homemade Bruschetta (light version), Guacamole, Spinach and Garlic, BBQ (a little goes a long way) and Sometimes even just using different spice blends!

Hope that helps!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite toppings for chicken is Italian style stewed tomatoes, poured on top of chicken in a pan, then baked. It actually tastes even better as leftovers, after the Italian seasonings have had time to seep into the chicken.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ive been wanting to try this: http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/date-night-chicken-amore-recipe

Sounds good and something different.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Brushetta Chicken (Mix of tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, very little olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Reduce on the stove until it thickens. YUM!)

Balsamic Chicken (Take Balsamic Vinegar, and simmer on stove to reduce (which enhances the flavor), then drizzle over chicken on a bed of sauteed onions and peppers)

Try Poaching the Chicken and make Chicken Salad - mix with chopped celery (and any other veggies you like), hard boiled egg, a little bit of mayo with olive oil, green onion, with salt/pepper to taste. Delicious on a bed of romaine lettuce or on toast.

Try baking the chicken. Marinade it in Greek Yogurt, then roll in a crushed mixture of total cereal (or wheaties) parmesan cheese and some italian seasoning. (Or mix the cereal with dry ranch dressing mix - equally delicious) Bake at 350.

Buffalo Chicken - put the boneless skinless chicken in the crock pot. Cover with your favorite hot sauce, and a packet of dry ranch seasoning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-6 hours. Shred the chicken once cooked, and serve as a lettuce wrap.

Make a Chicken BLT (grilled or poached works great) - Make some turkey bacon, slice some tomatoes, and build the BLT. I like making a BLT salad, with toasted pita bread on the side. For the 'dressing' I take a small amount of mayo with olive oil, and whisk it with white vinegar, salt, pepper, and then add in chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. It makes the dressing more runny and has a tangy taste. Then crumble the bacon over the top.

Serve with your favorite pasta sauce or make your own Marinara sauce - In a pan, take a tablespoon of olive oil, then add one chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add three cloves of minced/chopped garlic (or more if you really like it!) and stir in for 30 seconds. If you like, add chopped mushrooms (or any veggies you like - green pepper/zucchinni/eggplant are great) Then add, two small cans of tomato paste, and four small cans of tomato sauce. Add a few tablespoons of sugar (optional), and salt/pepper to taste. I also add 2-4 tablespoons of Italian seasoning.

Make naked tenders (like my kid's favorite - BWW's) - poach or grill the chicken (if you don't want to cut the chicken into smaller portions - chicken tenderloins work great here), then serve with dipping sauces of your choosing.

We eat chicken A LOT. I love poaching some each week to eat as additional protein, on sandwiches, salads, or by it self.

Go to SkinnyTaste.com - I love Gina's crockpot recipes!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I get bored with chicken too...soooo glad I saw this post. I have nothing to contribute, so thank you to all for the great ideas!!!

They sound YUMMY!!!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I love chicken curry. Also, I will mix a bit of honey and spicey mustard and top it. Really good
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Salsa!
  • erikapereira
    Options
    Onion, multicolor bell peppers, pepper, mr dash seasoning with no sodium.
  • AnR28
    AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was going to say chicken bras.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Bump - great ideas so far!

This isn't the best low sodium wise but makes the chicken tender... put breast in a resealable baggy with 1-2 Tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ROTEL tomatoes and green chilies. mmmm
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Swiss cheese and mushrooms!

This is a good recipe too...I use low fat cream cheese.

Dijon Chicken

½ cup chicken broth
    6 Tbsp. French’s Dijon Mustard with Chardonnay
    1/3 cup cream cheese spread,softened
    1Tbsp. fresh minced herbs(parsley,chives,or basil)
    1 Tbsp. oil
    4 (6 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 tsp. minced garlic

Mix broth, mustard, cream cheese and herbs until well blended; set aside.
    Cook chicken in hot oil in nonstick skillet until browned on both sides,about 15 minutes.
    Stir in mustard sauce and garlic.Simmer over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes until sauce thickens slightly
    and flavors are blended.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts and a can of rotel poured over. Bake until chicken is 170 degrees. You can add some shredded cheese on top after they are done baking. Yummy and very easy!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like to cut a pocket in the breast and add some kafir lime leaves and then bake it. It gives a really nice, fresh taste with no added calories. Generally, I prefer putting "toppings" in a pocket, since it flavors the meat more.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    throw chicken breasts in the crockpot for shredded chicken..... add a liquid (pineapple juice is great!) and some spices.... you'll have chicken for salads, wraps, etc. YUM! Or mix the chicken with bbq sauce for sandwiches or lettuce wraps!

we eat A LOT of chicken in my house!