Military wifes boot camp!!!!

Options
I everyone, My name is Kaci, I have been married to my husband for 2 and a half years. We have a 6 month old little girl and over the last year and a half it seems everything i do makes me gain wieght. Including pregnancy LOL jk! Anyway, when i met my husband i was a little overweight but i was running three miles a days and i looked good in my clothes. He left for deployment a month after our wedding and came back to a wife that had gained almost 30lbs. Why do deployments do that to us? Anyway he is deploying in the next year and ive decided it not gonna be that way this time. Im going to lose weight before he leaves and keep it off while he is gone. All of us know how stressful being a military wife can be just going through the day to day then throw a deployment on top of that and we are in a world of trouble. STRESS IS NOT OUR WAIST LINE'S FRIEND!
The reason i started this thread is not only to support each other in a our weight lose but also in the day to day struggles of being a wife or being a wife and a mom married to a Military Man! I hope everyone gets what they need from this thread.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Kaci

Replies

• csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey Kaci! I try to workout alot more when mine is away to keep me busy and my mind distracted. I'm a SAHM (even though mine is alot older) so by the time I finish my workout, shower and get ready for the day, and eat breakfast, it's already mid morning! Then as you know there's the daily chores (laundry, dishes, etc.), then the errands (commissary runs, post office, etc.) the next thing I know it's almost time to make dinner!

I do have to say I like exercising though, so I always make sure to do that first thing in the morning. I take Saturdays and Sundays off so I can just relax and enjoy the little things.

Anyways, good luck on your journey and feel free to email me anytime!

~Christy
  • NaiLo
    NaiLo Posts: 39
    Options
    While my husband was deployed and I gave birth to our first little girl, my goal was to lose as much baby weight as I could before he came home. That kept me so motivated! now that my husband is home and I am cooking for two it became a lot harder, but Ive looked toward the future and set my sights on career goals (to become a personal trainer and life coach) and how I want to feel as a mother and wife. I want fitness to be apart of everything I do. I hit a wall at 155 lbs and gained some back over the past 6 months, it is really all about trial and error and figuring out what works best FOR YOU! so I am back at the gym 5 time a week. I go to a spin class on post that they have for free 3x a week and I LOVE IT!! its very motivating for me. I also keep a food journal and I plan my meals and snacks the night before which helps me stay on track. I am excited to be a cheerleader for you and I wish all the success in the world to you! :) GOOD LUCK!!
  • SouthernMomma25
    Options
    Thank you so much. Ive started to make my meal plan out on here before i start eating during the day so i can stick to what i write down. I am using my husbands P90X workout dvds. They are a killer. But he is a huge support even though he just watches cause he is so tired when he gets home. We also have started eating out of the eating for life book. I love it and i dont really have cravings like i used to for things. Anyway im really excited about losing weight and thats kinda weird for me. I look forward to working out and i used to hate it. Im hoping i can keep this attitude during the process but we will see!
  • SouthernMomma25
    Options
    I have a question.... what happens if you stay under your calorie intake but go over in protein? Its really hard to keep that down.
  • NaiLo
    Options
    I don't count my protien/carbs/fats/sugar....i keep an eye on them of course, i make sure i know what im putting in my body, but Instead I adjust my meals so that I am eating say carbs earlier in the day, proteins later throughout the day usually after a workout or even an hour or two before. I don't eat refined sugars and stick to fruit and TONS of veggies.
    so this allows me to keep to a clean healthy range. The truth is that for me, counting calories is more important because i don't see myself counting every thing I put in my mouth for the rest of my life. I look at it this way, its a lifestyle choice to lower portion size, not let food control me and keep my calories on a WEEKLY basis. I eat 12-1500 calories a day depending on what day it is...I change my diet constantly from day to day so I am challenging my metabolism a little bit. I try not to stick to eating the same thing EVERY DAY....i use a lot of different foods but i know what goes into everything. Veggies fill up half my plate for every meal and I eat 5x a day...3 small meals and 2 small snacks. Sorry I can't help you with your protein question, but this is something that works for me.
  • SouthernMomma25
    Options
    thanks for that... I wasnt to worried about my protein but i think i saw i was over by like 56g one day and researched what happens to protein in your body thats not used, and i read it turn into fat and that i also read your body gets rid of it so im un sure. Im keeping a close eye on calories too. And the eating for life cook book is all healthy eating i love it and it is so easy to stick with. Also it gives you so many different options on dinners, snack, lunchs, etc that you can change it up and have something different almost every day. One day ill start trying to modify others meals that i want to make to try and add things to the mix but not just yet.
  • NaiLo
    Options
    yeah its hard to mix it up when you are cooking for a family....and sometimes you don't always have the ingredients you need to make certain recipes...I use the biggest loser cookbooks, they are great too! I don't want to give you advice that might throw off your plan or anything, just know that what i do works for me because I know how my metabolism works...I know what my body needs throughout the day to give me energy and keep me feeling good. I don't use the food diary on here I use my own because like I said..its hard to keep it consistant (for me it is anyway) just try and stick to those small changes that make you feel good, I know that I get really overwhelmed if I have to keep track of too many numbers in one day. Remember your calories, and less isn't always best as long as you are eating healthy and CLEAN!! :) i find myself eating more now than i ever did before I counted calories.
  • SouthernMomma25
    Options
    Ok thanks. I may check into those cookbooks to. I always up for defferent as long as the recipes are heathy it would be perfect. This book mainly just teachs you how to eat lighter meals, small meals and more of them a day. I love it. I dont crave things like i used to. I mean i went to a womens group last night and there were cookies and brownies and i didnt one.. i came home and one of my snack instead i was so proud!
  • DC07
    DC07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Military wifes, I am new to this website (about a week ago) and am looking for some support. I just moved to Scott AFB in IL, about 4 months ago and am trying to adjust to the cold weather. I am a mother of 2 (9yrs old and 5yrs old) and have been a military wife for 10 yrs. You would think I would be used to relocating but the older you get the harder it is to meet new people. Anyways, just turned 30 and am determined to make my 30's as good as my 20's that means dropping a few pounds. I have lost about 3 lbs the first week and am trying to stick with it. I am looking for new friends on MFP so, add me and well keep each other motivated. :)
  • bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hey Military wifes,

I'm new here and trying to shed the pounds that came on after hubby returned from his 15 months. I definitely tried to feed him homecooked meals or anything b/c his sytem was so messed up, however I gained the weight that I had lost while he was gone. Figures!

DC07- I have been married 15 years and the moves are killer and get worst with age. We have been here in Texas for over 5 years and built a home here so during my husband's deployment we actually live in two households 8 hrs away b/c it was too much for the baby and eldest at that time.

Stay focused and definitely add me to your list:bigsmile:

Michelle
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    We have another thread for military wives (with an emphasis on stress/over eating) if you're looking for more ladies. I know it's so hard being a military wife/spouse to a deployed husband.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74451-deployment-overeater-support-team
    :flowerforyou: