how can I stop craving when on a period?!!

Options
this is more of a womans thread, sorry!!
but seriously, how do i stop craving sweet stuff so much on a period?!

Replies

• emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    sometimes you can't it's all about trying to have something sweet if you need to..

i know when i do i try and at least have a little treat and it puts me at ease
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just allow myself a few indulgences, chew gum, and drink lots of water. Sometimes I'll keep an organic dark chocolate around the house, like Green and Black. It's very rich, so I can only eat a tiny bit at a time, but it helps with my cravings. Besides, dark chocolate actually has some health benefits! Good luck!
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i am bad for this too.
    you can tell when i'm on my period or having a bad day because if i go to subway, i'll get cold cut instead of ham.
    and i crave chips, and junk food.
    i try to stop myself, but sometimes it makes you more miserable ontop of the crazy hormones.
    so i just give in.
    i don't overindulge, but indulge.
    that way i don't binge like crazy.

everything in moderation !
    so use that time of the month as your "moderation"

:)
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    i let myself eat it I really dont have my "once a week cheat meal" so when im craving something i just let myself eat it since i know it will only happen at this time...just try to make sure you dont go too over board
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    give in and have a bit of what you're craving - the thing I like best about this site is that you can eat whatever you want just keep it in the daily limit (going over once in a while is ok) if it's sweets you like (like me) you could try the Slim Fast 123 snacks - they're small chocolate bars that are 100 cals and not too bad on the other nutrients and they really do taste like the bigger versions. I get my sweets and dont feel guilty at only 100 cals.
  • iwillbethin_
    Options
    thank you all so much! hopefully I'll try and control it as much as i can
  • alison0511
    Options
    It sounds like you crave the sweet more than salty like me. I would highly recommend Jello Sugar-Free Pudding Cups! Haha, it sounds kinda dumb, but if I am having one of those days, I will have one of the double-chocolate flavor ones as an afternoon snack, and the sugar-free kind are only 60 calories each! It is always just enough to savor for a moment and get the craving out of my system, and keeps me away from things like ice cream, cookies, candy.. etc... which would all be a LOT more than 60 calories. It's enough to help me move on and not screw up my whole day, which is great, because who needs to add guilt to the rest of the hormonal emotions! Lol :smile:
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find taking magnesium and chromium picolinate supplements helps control my sugar cravings.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat a little bit. The period owns you.
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am PMSing in a serious manner right now, lol. I'm kind of letting myself eat right now. I've done that before but not too overboard and I didn't really gain weight-I also worked out harder those days, and the food I ate was still in moderation. This week is worse than usual though (my office has food catered today) but I'm kind of letting go because I'm getting a tonsillectomy Friday and know i won't be eating ANYTHING for a week, lol.
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    I've only just found out (after 6 months of soul-searching and thinking that there was something wrong with me) that I suffer with PMS-C which is the craving side of our hormonal upheaval once a month (or so).

It's awful, I know.

I've scheduled an "eat at maintenance calories today and eat what I crave BUT I MUST LOG IT" day in my diary when I *think* (I'm not regular) I might have a hormonal craving day next month...

It's the best I can do and I refuse to let my hormones derail my otherwise perfect attitude towards fitness, fat-loss and health x
  • Snupydecat
    Options
    I figure out what I'm really craving (sometimes its salty, sometimes sweet) and have a little. That way I don't mindlessly eat, and there's no reason not to give in, in moderation!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I just account for it in my macros and enjoy my little indulgences
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I keep a dark chocolate bar around and have one square when I feel like I want chocolate. The darker the chocolate, the less you'll want to eat at once.
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's 100 calorie dark chocolate bars kept in the freezer. They are perfect to indulge in the craving without completely wrecking your entire day.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I GIVE IN!! But, like others, usually in moderation! And, if it wont go away, I try to chew some of the EXTRA Dessert Flavor gum...that helps a bit because they taste GREAT and usually I am not always hungry, just need the taste.

I HAVE noticed that the more weight I lose, the better THAT time of Month is getting...withc ramps and cravings too!! :)
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i think that time is something that we just cant fight against!
    with me its not so much sweet food, but just food!
    i could eat a small village around that time and want desert! lol

x
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    When on your period your metabolism ramps up--that's why your body craves more food. Try not to give in to the bad stuff--eat healthy stuff that tastes good and look at it as a bonus to be able to burn extra calories!
  • evademers
    Options
    Lol, I am dealing with the same thing right now, chocolate chip cookies are my weakness but it is the only time i really indulge and when i got on the scale this morning it was up about 6 oz but thats not bad considering being on my period and induging in my cookies. Just go with it, all your hard work wont be undone by once a month indulging :) Dont be tough on yourself xx
  • alexsks
    alexsks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont give in!!! Knowledge is power, go check this out.
    http://www.hellolife.net/pms-pmdd/b/why-do-i-have-cravings-during-pms/

Hope this helps
    Alex