Why I needed a kitchen scale! (with pic)

Options
I just got my kitchen scale about 10 minutes ago (so excited!). This is one serving of Cascadian Farms organic cinnamon crunch cereal. The box says 1 cup (27 grams). Weight trumps volume, so this is what I should have been eating all along, when in the past I just fill the cup to the brim. Amazing what a difference this could mean for how fast I lose weight if I always use measuring cups. This is why I needed a kitchen scale!!!

cup.jpg

Replies

• rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That's great! :)

I just want to ask this just in case (because I did the same thing when I first got my scale). Did you zero the scale out with the cup on it before weighing? The first couple of times I wondered how I could be so far off until I realized I wasn't adjusting for the cup.
  • DresdenMN
    Options
    Did you happen to reset the scale with the empty cup on and then weigh the cereal? Otherwise your scale is weighing the amount of the measuring cup as well as the cereal.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    I did zero the scale. So this is only the weight of the actual cereal!
    (The measuring cup by itself is 29 grams)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    2 comments:

1: that is why i don't eat cereal! That portion is TEENY!

2. I just got my kitchen scale last night and am already loving weighing everything!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Man, that is devastating to see. I think I'm just going lie to myself a little...

What kind of scale do you have? I'm looking for a cheap one that's good.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    This is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    Man, that is devastating to see. I think I'm just going lie to myself a little...

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    This is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Thanks for the link! I have a cheapo scale but am looking for a digital one now. The hardest problem I had when I first started MFP was trying to figure out portion sizes.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    How many grams is it when full to the brim?
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scales are great and they don't cost much. We use ours all the time.

Confession: I think you're supposed to weigh meat before cooking but since I cook mine ahead of time and just carve a 4 oz portion I I just live with it.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm devastated... I ordered a kitchen scale from eBay nearly six weeks ago... It finally arrived yesterday and it's broken and will likely cost an arm and a leg to send it back for replacement. I was really looking forward to weighing stuff!
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It will be interesting to see the difference between what I think an ounce of cheese looks like when I cut it compared to what it looks like in real life! " An ounce? That's close enough...!"
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hate my scale... 4oz of meat is not alot.. also putting into perspective going out to dinner somewhere and seeing a 9oz piece of steak is now mortifying
  • asandypath
    asandypath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same scale and have had it for over a year (maybe two?) and it has worked beautifully. Sometimes I miss the scale I had before this one that came with a bowl but I use measuring cups for just about everything anyway so it works out. The batteries are JUST NOW needing to be replaced! Great choice and it comes with a fantastic little book/booklet... or it did before. I think it has high ratings on amazon where I got mine from.
  • Have you heard of the perfet portions scale? If yes, do you recommend this scale or the pic shown at the top?
  • Rinflozeu
    Rinflozeu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thats funny.. i did the SAME thing til yesterday.. box said a ration, so i always assumed it was the size of my bawl.

Turned out i was eating DOUBLE cereals.. and boy cereals have a lot of calories :-(
  • natwen
    Options
    I have not heard of the perfect portions scale, but I looked it up online just now. It seems like it is a scale and a food diary in one? I'm fine with my scale, since I just input the grams of food I ate, and MFP does the rest.
  • ftellstrom
    ftellstrom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i have super cheap scale from the dollar store...i love it i do have a digital one in a box somewhere but the batteries died and i just put it away and use my cheap one =D
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm devastated... I ordered a kitchen scale from eBay nearly six weeks ago... It finally arrived yesterday and it's broken and will likely cost an arm and a leg to send it back for replacement. I was really looking forward to weighing stuff!

Email the sender and take a picture of it. If they are a reputable business, they may send you a new one. That's why I like Amazon. If they are sending it, they tend to respond to any issues. Scales don't have to be expensive though. I, ironically, found a glass one that's supposed to measure grams/ounces and was really meant for beauty products like hair dye. It does the job and seems very accurate.

I also felt the same way about my cereals BUT if you get really nice dense ones like granola you'll find that you will feel more stuffed. I buy these cocoa crisps ones from Whole Foods that are gluten free by Three Sisters and it's like 3/4th's of a cup for 110 or 120 calories. I dump some freeze dried fruit on it and also almond milk and it's really filling. That's why it's so important to check out the ingredients and see what's actually in the cereal. If it has tons of sugar, then you're eating sugar. I get ones with nuts, fruits, basically nice filling mixes.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I really need one
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I couldn't live without my scale, you cannot rely on guesstimating ever!