Tips on drinking more water?

Options
Does anyone have any creative ideas on how someone can get enough water in a day? I know the minimum is 64 oz. but I'm not even getting close to that amount. I do get closer to that on the weekends, but during the week, I struggle with this. I work full-time and find it hard to take the time to drink and most times I don't even feel thirsty. I know how important drinking water is to losing weight and overall health but I just can't seem to get the minimum amount.

I've tried 24 oz. water bottles, taking them with me everywhere. I still forget to drink it. I don't drink much of anything to be honest. I've been severly dehydrated twice in my life and it isn't pleasant. I love water!!! I just don't understand.

And advice would be wonderful!
Thanks!
Tina

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The way I got myself to drink water was to buy a case of .5 liter bottles. I placed 4 on the kitchen table each night.

For the 1st week I gagged down 1 bottle.......maybe 2.......but by the 2nd week I wanted more. By the end of the 3rd week I was drinking 4 bottles + each and every day.

I also made a deal with myself. NO ice tea, coffee, diet soda UNTIL I had 8 oz of water. The good thing is I also cut down on those beverages because I was full when I had my cup of coffee!

The body wants...........needs water...............and we have trained it to live without. Once your body starts to get the hydration it needs........you will crave water.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my water through herbal teas. I drink them all day long. Especially during the cold weather.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I buy the bottles of flavored water - making sure there are no calories or sodium in them. I'm now drinking more than my amount and trying to cut back to just drink the 64 oz. I originally bought this stuff for my Mom - she hating drinking water and I was lucky to drink 2 glasses a day when I took my vitamins.
  • pgmorgan
    pgmorgan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get you a box of those flavored packets, sugar free no calories or minimal calories. use to be only Crystal Light had them now they come in all kinds of brands. All flavors I have boxes all over in the kitchen, the truck, my office, keep a couple in my purse. I am always prepared and they actually taste good. I dont like just drinking water, i have to have some kind of flavor. i went from drinking no water, to about 8 bottles a day.
  • ChrissyM
    Options
    I've started putting in a wedge of lime in my water, adds lots of flavor and no artifical sweeteners.
  • doshie1
    doshie1 Posts: 19
    Options
    Try to add some flavor to your water, I am not a water fan at all, I would much rather have diet soda, but we all know that is bad bad bad. I allow myself to add a lemonade crystal light packet to my bottle of water each day, I focus on getting a bottle down before lunch (which is sometimes hard) and a bottle at dinner/night time...that puts me at 3 24oz bottles a day minimum.

Keep trying, the lady that posted to more you drink of it, the more your body will crave it,,,I am finding this to be a very true statement!

good luck!!!! you CAN do it!
  • 83Molly
    83Molly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The water bottle that I use has a straw attached to it...I bought it at WalMart for around $5...I find that the sipping is key to getting my water intake in as I tend to take more water in when I sip rather than drink
  • vampwix
    vampwix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I buy the crystal light that you mix in a pitcher. One of the little tubs makes 64 oz. If it's a flavor I like, I'm more likely to drink the whole thing.
  • ttroses
    ttroses Posts: 16
    Options
    I swear by my CamelBak 32oz water bottle. The trick is the built is straw mechanism, which gives many added benefits. I keep it at my desk all day and near me at home too! It seems like I drink more with the straw becuase I can just pick it up and take a long drink when I have time or slip in quick sips when I'm busy. It doesn't take as much effort to drink out of the straw as it does a water bottle that you have to unscrew the cap, so that makes me drink more too. I find that I drink two bottles (the daily amount) easy and sometimes more! Another benefit is that it won't spill when tipped over, tossed in a bag or the car. Not to mention that it is Earth friendly too because you can reuse it and it's BPA free! It may not be for everyone, but I love it!
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    From an article in today's Washington Post and a book by Denise Austin - additions to water

slices of cucumber (this is really refeshing)
    orange wedges
    shredded ginger
    mint leaves
    chopped strawberries
    two splashes of grapefruit juice (I love this)
    lemon slices (use this a lot)
    a peppermint tea bag
    green tea drops (I just drink green tea)
    a teaspoon of cranberry juice
    celery sticks
    ice cubes made from orange juice
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome advice everyone! I will have to break out my 24 oz. water bottle again, it has a straw built in also and just make myself sip on it all day until I get into the groove again. I like the idea of not allowing myself to drink anything else unless I have at least 8 oz. of water first!

Thanks everyone!!!!