Why am I always bloated?

Options
I am a 19 yr old female. I eat super clean during the week but not so much on the weekends.. I have a couple food intolerances ... I work out at least 3 times a week.... I weigh 118 lbs and am not fat but still want to lose some weight. No matter how much I lose though I still have this belly like I'm 4 months pregnant... If I flex my abs then it sucks in an I only have a little fat on top of them. My doctor sucks and says take Metamucil but that didn't work... I don't know what to do, I'm tired of sucking in my stomach when I'm not even fat.
Thank you

Replies

• MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :(

Do you get more bloated after you eat, or is pretty much consistent? I find that when I do core strengtening/abdominal exercises the pooch keeps itself under control much easier
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    I had a similar issue because I had intolerances to wheat, gluten, dairy and red meat. After I cut those out it got better but I have to be really careful that I dont eat large quantities of food at once, that I dont eat gassy foods like beans and brocoli frequently and that I always take a probiotic. I take Acidopholus with bifidus extra strength and it seems to help. Also you can try drinking peppermint tea when you do feel bloated or dandelion leaf tea. Try to eat slower as well because you might be swallowing too much air with your food causing your stomach to distend with oxygen. Drink lots of water and if regularity is a problem with you try incorparating 1-2 tbsp of flaxseed daily into your diets. Dont forget to eat healthy fats as well because they are what lubricates the intestine. Good luck! its taken me years to figure out my stomach lol :D
  • Happy4lifeHHH
    Happy4lifeHHH Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :(

Do you get more bloated after you eat, or is pretty much consistent? I find that when I do core strengtening/abdominal exercises the pooch keeps itself under control much easier

I do kind of get more bloated after I eat but it could also my stomach just expanding from the food I ate.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem until I started taking a probiotic. It really does help.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You will need to pay attention to what you have that increases your bloating. It could be sodium and water retention, or you could have a food intolerance that you are not yet aware of. Maybe get yourself some Beano! There are teas that aid digestion, as well as pineapple.
  • fiwen30
    fiwen30 Posts: 10
    Options
    I second what lucylou said. I also suffered from a bloated/extended abdomen when I was 19, and looking like you're halfway through pregnancy isn't much fun! My problems were down to Coeliac disease, and since being off gluten and wheat for 2 years I've been bloat free.

I strongly suggest you get tested by your GP :)
  • Happy4lifeHHH
    Options
    I had a similar issue because I had intolerances to wheat, gluten, dairy and red meat. After I cut those out it got better but I have to be really careful that I dont eat large quantities of food at once, that I dont eat gassy foods like beans and brocoli frequently and that I always take a probiotic. I take Acidopholus with bifidus extra strength and it seems to help. Also you can try drinking peppermint tea when you do feel bloated or dandelion leaf tea. Try to eat slower as well because you might be swallowing too much air with your food causing your stomach to distend with oxygen. Drink lots of water and if regularity is a problem with you try incorparating 1-2 tbsp of flaxseed daily into your diets. Dont forget to eat healthy fats as well because they are what lubricates the intestine. Good luck! its taken me years to figure out my stomach lol :D

I do not eat those things so that's not it :/..... When you say large quantities do you mean like normal portions or smaller than that? I love beans, they don't make me fart though... I try to eat and chew as slow as possible.. I just started taking a probiotic.. What does the flax-seed oil do? I will try the tea, thank you! I will drink more water and eat more healthier fats...
    Thank you :)
  • Happy4lifeHHH
    Options
    I was having the same problem until I started taking a probiotic. It really does help.

I just started taking a probiotic :)
  • rcs7058
    rcs7058 Posts: 25
    Options
    What probiotic do you recommend?
  • Happy4lifeHHH
    Options
    You will need to pay attention to what you have that increases your bloating. It could be sodium and water retention, or you could have a food intolerance that you are not yet aware of. Maybe get yourself some Beano! There are teas that aid digestion, as well as pineapple.

Thank you I will try that :)
  • Happy4lifeHHH
    Options
    Well I don't eat gluten at all...
  • BUMP
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have this problem as well. Only thing that works for me beides elminiating dairy!) is taking Apple Cider Vinegar 2x/day. Tastes terrible, but I see a difference.
  • lieselbaylen
    lieselbaylen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have lots of food sensitivities as well. Sometimes looking at food makes me bloat! One of my coworkers told me about a probiotic called "Floragen". They keep it stored in a fridge so you have to ask for it behind the counter, but it's nonprescription. I've been using it now for about 3 weeks and it's been very helpful with the bloating/gas. I'd try it out. Good luck. :)
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I cut out meat, dairy and soy. This helped tons!
  • natty_34
    natty_34 Posts: 20
    Options
    (Bump) A pro-biotic all the way, this helped me a ton. Plus drinking the right amount of water. Good luck with all the new good advice everyone has provided, hopefully one of these will be your solution. Make sure to let us know what works for you.
  • JessicaSunflower
    JessicaSunflower Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i ate clean for 3 weeks, sooo bloated, its the veggies.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i cut out all sugar and grains. i do eat cheese and butter sometimes, but eating lots of fat, meat, and good veggies has COMPLETELY gotten rid of my bloating.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and a little known trick...watch your sugar. If you are going over this macro daily then this could be increasing your bloating. Everyone who is telling you to try a probiotic is also right. The bloating could be an overgrowth of yeast and yeast loves sugar! I also battle with this. The number on the scale doesn't say fat, my workouts never make me feel fat, but when I eat sugar I certainly feel fat because my stomach bloats like no tomorrow. Just watch your intake and see if your tummy goes down some. Hope this helps.
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you on any type of BC pills? I had the same problem and it turned out being different BC pills. I also agree with the veggie comments - too many raw veggies can cause some major bloating!