Best running shoes?

Options
I will be running my first 10k race on April 11th and I am looking for a really good pair of running shoes. I have been running in the ones that I have now for about a year so they are pretty worn. I want to get a new pair around the middle of march so that they will still be new but will have that "worn in" feel for the race. What do you guys suggest?

Replies

• Eliaheart
    Eliaheart Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest something, but I'm afraid there are too many things to take into consideration: your stride (pronator? supinator? neutral?), your foot arch, the type of surface you most often run on, your budget, and, most importantly... comfort. Which only you can judge. :)

I suggest going to a sports store and speaking to someone there who knows about running - they'll analyze your stride and ask you more questions, and based on that, you'll be able to make the perfect choice.

HTH!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I agree...we have a running store in store that will analyze your stride, pronation of your foot and then make recomendations...I think that's your best option
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about this pronate & stride stuff. I just got a pair of champion scores that are super comfy, and only $30
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should find a store that specifically caters to runners (not just a sporting good store). It may cost you a little more, but you will probably get the best fit and comfort for your feet. Best wishes on the run!!
  • CJeffs
    CJeffs Posts: 7
    Options
    I invensted the money into Mizuno's they are a bit expensive but worth the investment. I bought them because I have ankle problems they have awesome arch and ankle support. Also, my old bosses husband uses them and he is a runner. I paid about $120 for mine.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a running store, but I do swear by Asics, they have models to fit all kinds of runners.
  • GreenDayChick820
    Options
    I have a pair of brooks that are super comfy. I don't run but I do speed walk in them everday and they have lasted a year so far.

I hope this helps you.
  • supaphly42
    Options
    As someone who's run 175 miles per month (currently ~80-90), I agree with those that said go to a running store. Yes, it will cost you a bit more, but having the proper shoes will prevent injury, and save you so much more in the long run.

As for brand, it's personal preference. Different brands fit and feel different. Personally, I love Brooks shoes for training, but the Brooks racing shoes didn't feel right, so I went with Asics for that.

So go to a running store, have them analyze your stride, get fitted for the right shoes, and go have fun!
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been running in Asics Nimbus for years. That being said, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get fitted for your shoes. Here in Canada we have a chain of stores called the Running Room. They will fit you for the right shoe for your foot type. Shoes are very individual. I would recommend that you not worry too much about the price, keep in mind that this is your "equipment" and to be able to sustain a long run, you need good shoes. Happy shopping!
  • tiggers
    tiggers Posts: 20
    Options
    I also agree go to a running store i use to laugh when people told me that but they have employees that are knowledgeable and can look at your stride to pin point a show for you.

I've tried Mizuno, asics and brooks and I love mizuno that have not let me down in comfort and remove any pain that I might have due to other shoes.

good luck picking out your pair keep us posted

amy
  • arasm
    arasm Posts: 65
    Options
    I use Asics & am very pleased with them.
  • tracylea_2003
    Options
    I use Asics and I love them!