Does coffee count as a glass of water?

Options

Replies

• TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    My nutritionist says for each cup of coffee I drink, I need to drink an EXTRA cup of water (above my normal 8) to make up for it because it is a diuretic.

Your nutritionist is wrong.

mine says the same thing. They must have went to the same college :)
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Caffeine is a VERY MILD diuretic, but it's not sufficient to offset the fact that you just drank a cup of coffee.

Also, you don't HAVE to drink 8 glasses of water per day, that's pseudoscience - your body is more than capable of telling you when to drink....drink when you're thirsty.

if you wait until you are thristy, you are already dehydrated. just fyi.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    8 oz of any fluid counts as fluid, simple as that. 8 oz of water, 8 oz of soda, 8 oz of juice, 8 oz of milk, 8 oz of beer, 8 oz of coffee, it's all fluid.

^^^ This according to an article I read from the Mayo Clinic...
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    No. Coffee actually DEHYDRATES you. Never count coffee as water, just drink plain water.

Wrong.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No. Coffee actually DEHYDRATES you. Never count coffee as water, just drink plain water.

Incorrect. Research shows that coffee is fine.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I tend to doubt that coffee or any other liquid can seriously count toward water intake. (Though I'm sure that every liquid counts toward hydration and in moderation coffee can be beneficial for one's body.) I have been counting only water towards the water count and then adding other drinks toward my food diary.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a VERY MILD diuretic, but it's not sufficient to offset the fact that you just drank a cup of coffee.

Also, you don't HAVE to drink 8 glasses of water per day, that's pseudoscience - your body is more than capable of telling you when to drink....drink when you're thirsty.

if you wait until you are thristy, you are already dehydrated. just fyi.

Sounds like some garbage you got off a site telling you that drinking 8 cups a day is necessary.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says for each cup of coffee I drink, I need to drink an EXTRA cup of water (above my normal 8) to make up for it because it is a diuretic.

Nutritionist or Dietitian?
    Nutritionists can be a joke sometimes. They don't require nearly as much schooling
  • ClaireACoates
    Options
    Ok, so if all fluids are classed as part of our water intake then surely that follows to a glass of wine? ;)

I'm loving this fitness thing!! :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Per the dietician at my bariatric surgeon's office, if you are not getting enough water daily you may feel thirsty but you may also think you are hungry. Your body doesn't care whether it gets water from a glass of or from the food you eat. So staying hydrated actually will act as an appatite suppresant.
  • seansquared
    Options

They must have, because they are wrong.

There are a number of bad nutrition certifications out there. You should check your nutritionist's credentials to ensure they are a board-certified clinical nutritionist - preferably with an M.D., PhD, or R.D.

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/nutritionist.html
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'd probably count it as half a glass. You are putting fluid into your body but the diuretic quality of the caffeine means you're not getting the full fluidy goodness from it that you would sans the caffeine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The water you use to make the water counts towards your fluid intake, so does the milk. The dehydration cause by coffee is insignificant.

<snip>Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available. <snip>

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

<snip>Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day. <snip>

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Also, there is evidence to suggest that if you drink more that 5 - 7 cups a day you are actually 'immune' to the mild diuretic effect (and other effects) of caffiene.
  • seansquared
    Options
    Ok, so if all fluids are classed as part of our water intake then surely that follows to a glass of wine? ;)

I'm loving this fitness thing!! :)

The water in the wine is 100% OK.

The problem is the alcohol.

I know you're just being fresh, young lady :)

...but really, yes actually the water itself is great, the alcohol retards kidney and liver function which slows the processing of fats out of the system. Meaning slower weight loss.

(the calories don't usually help, either!)
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

no

so, you take WATER, and you run it through some ground up dried out beans to make it turn brown, and suddenly it isn't water anymore?!?!?! What kind of wizardry is this?

it's still water. and the caffeine isn't going to make it less wet.

this.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Beer = water..... I am going to have pizza and water/beer tonight after my run :-)
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The only thing I count as water is plain water.:wink:

^^^ - and I'm not pressed about my water intake. The "8 glasses per day" is a nice guideline and it will help make you feel fuller so can be helpful during the first couple of weeks of calorie cutting - but I don't sweat it much (haha). I chose water most of the time anyway - and when I feel thirsty, I will ONLY drink water - nothing else will do if I'm thirsty.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    8 oz of any fluid counts as fluid, simple as that. 8 oz of water, 8 oz of soda, 8 oz of juice, 8 oz of milk, 8 oz of beer, 8 oz of coffee, it's all fluid.

8 oz of BEER counts??? :love: :drinker: :laugh:
  • Amyding115
    Amyding115 Posts: 120
    Options
    A friends nutritionist told her that if you drink coffee you have to cut it in half to count it. So if you drank 8 oz coffee you could log it as 4oz of water (due to diuretic effect)

/\/\THIS!! I also follow this rule for tea/juice and other "non" water drinks.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Coffee has calories (only like 5, but still) so I would count it on your diary as part of a meal or snack. Water is calorie free, so I count water consumption on my diary separately.

Between all my beverages, I'm getting plenty of water. I try to drink extra water if I've gone substantially over on my sodium, but other than that, if I'm not thirsty, I don't worry about it.