Horrible Leg Cramps - Prevention Tips?

Options
This post is for my hubby. He has a pretty active job and comes home at night with horrible leg cramps in his inner thighs ("charlie horses" x1,0000). He drinks a TON of water and gatorade throughout the day and it doesn't seem to prevent it. Anyone out there with any tips on preventing this strain? The pain is very intense for him and he wants to do what he can to avoid it.

Replies

• sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to get those a lot and was told by my doctor that it was probably a lack of potassium. I increased that and added extra calcium to my diet too (started drinking OJ fortified with extra calcium) and they went away completely.

I wish I could tell you the logic behind it all, but I really don't know. I just know it worked!

Good luck to your husband! I feel his pain! Those things are the WORST!
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    whatever he is doing at his job, find a new way to do it. Need to know what the job entails.

Functional trainers specifically look at problems in a persons occupation and work to correct the problems or find another way to do the task that is not leaving the body in bad shape.
  • sicilysclover
    Options
    Thanks all. Vtach - he works for a company that builds bridges so he is standing all day long and doing labor work - painting, sawing, drilling. He stands for the whole 9 hours he works. I never heard of a functional trainer - i'll look into that!

Potassium and Calcium - I will DEF have him bump up his intake. Again I appreciate the feedback. I feel so bad for him!
  • tpatter
    tpatter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If they become so severe, like mine, you can go to Walgreens and there is a bottle called Leg Cramps that works wonders!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    +1 for potassium but in the end magnesium fixed it for me. You can get transdermal magnesium oil spray to apply it to the relevant parts which is more effective than eating it.

Excessive water consumption will tend to reduce potassium in the body.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My son is a world athlete and his nutrionists has him drink coconut water. Gatorade should be avoided because of the sugar content. It may take some getting use to drinking the coconut water but it's the best for cramps. Tried and true in triathalon athletes. Just sayin'.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Just thought, is the pain gone by yhe morning - charliehorses I000, you mean when someone grips the inside of your thigh and triggers one of our many nerves that causes excrutiating pain not cramp PAIN.

If it is constant and then gets worse at the end of the day he may be best going to a doctor, any recent fall or accident?
  • sicilysclover
    Options
    I am writing all this down - thank you so much everyone!
  • sicilysclover
    Options
    Just thought, is the pain gone by yhe morning - charliehorses I000, you mean when someone grips the inside of your thigh and triggers one of our many nerves that causes excrutiating pain not cramp PAIN.

If it is constant and then gets worse at the end of the day he may be best going to a doctor, any recent fall or accident?

It's always at the end of the day, usually after he has been sitting for a while. No recent fall/accident that I can think of. I was also thinking of taking him to the Dr. but he doesn't have insurance yet (i'm adding him to mine as we just got married) so that's why I was asking for advice on here. You're right though - it is PAIN.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Just seems odd that someone who has had a physical job for a long time suddenly has pain.

Not checked but if you are in the states have you been in the heat wave? Dehydration lack of salt
    Change in diet? Not enough fat and protein
    Change of boots - bad fit, one heel slightly lower
    Change in work, more twisting, less stability, new power tool
    Something has to have changed
    Good luck sorting it out.

It sounded simple but you don't suddenly find a hard job to be much harder and painful.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    bananas,canteloupe, orange juice,fruit naturals by Del Monte. grapes all good sources of potassium
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Another common reason for cramping is simply dehydration. During exercise we lose water from our bodies through sweat. Drinking coffee or caffinated tea before class can advance this dehydration! A good idea is to drink water before, during, and after a workout if you frequently experience muscle cramps and see if this is all it takes to decrease muscle tension. If this doesn't help, keep in mind that the nutrients we consistently consume play an important roll in the efficiency of our muscles. In order to work efficiently, our muscles rely on a balance of common yet essential vitamins and minerals, specifically sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc. These minerals are collectively known as electrolytes. A balance of electrolytes speeds up the absorption of water in our bodies. The sports drink Gatorade is an excellent remedy for muscle cramping because it hydrates the body as a liquid and also contains all the essential minerals to aid hydration. If you're thinking that Gatorade is scarily neon and high in sugary calories, I have to agree.

Instead, try drinking coconut water (not coconut milk) before each workout and has experienced a complete absence of muscle cramps! It's amazing. Coconut water is low in fat and calories, with a natural balance of sodium, potassium, and magnesium (the essential electrolytes). It's a great, natural alternative to Gatorade, and it's not neon. Coconut water can be found in health food stores. Another proven remedy for muscle cramps is Quinine water. Quinine is found in tonic water (just check the label, because not every brand of tonic water contains quinine). To benefit from quinine, bring a small bottle with you to class and sip it just as soon as you feel a cramp coming on. Typically, the cramp will disappear in a matter of moments!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    +1 for potassium but in the end magnesium fixed it for me. You can get transdermal magnesium oil spray to apply it to the relevant parts which is more effective than eating it.

Excessive water consumption will tend to reduce potassium in the body.

This is great advice. I ruptured 3 lumbar disks a few years ago (which eventually required surgery) and the nerve damage in my left leg, which remains to this day, causes vicious charley-horse type cramping in my left quadriceps. A couple of sprays of this stuff (more convenient than an epsom-salt bath which is another good way to get magnesium) and the cramping stops almost immediately.
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have him eat bananas, they contain potassium, and they will help. It seems odd that he's having leg cramps if he's had this job a long time, you'd think his body would be used to it by now.

How is he sitting? Is he wrapping his legs behind him on the chair legs? Is he crossing his legs at the ankle? I've got leg cramps that way before. I assume he's not taking Lasix because that can cause horrible leg cramps, it did for my father *and* my brother.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Have him eat bananas, they contain potassium, and they will help. It seems odd that he's having leg cramps if he's had this job a long time, you'd think his body would be used to it by now.

How is he sitting? Is he wrapping his legs behind him on the chair legs? Is he crossing his legs at the ankle? I've got leg cramps that way before. I assume he's not taking Lasix because that can cause horrible leg cramps, it did for my father *and* my brother.

Just proves that people do not read replies. Chair legs, eh? Lol
  • sicilysclover
    Options

He actually just started this job about 2 months ago. He's been having these cramps but they are become more painful. I'll ask him about his sitting as well.

THANK YOU SO MUCH everyone! This is so appreciated. I know he will be relieved to have some remedies to try. Very informative.

Again thank you ALL so much.
  • sicilysclover
    Options

Just proves that people do not read replies. Chair legs, eh? Lol

LOL
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's low on potassium. He should talk to his doctor and get his blood tested.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    "One banana packs a potassium punch of at least 450 milligrams. At more than 20 percent of your necessary daily value, that's a lot of the vital mineral. But the banana's reputation as a potassium powerhouse is a bit overblown. Many other common foods--such as beans, potatoes and halibut--contain much more potassium. Of course, that doesn't mean bananas aren't generally healthy. In fact, they're one of the healthiest fruits around."

Read more: How Much Potassium Is in a Banana? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4529727_much-potassium-banana_.html#ixzz24y4FXQlK