My TDEE and my concern

Options
2»

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    1550 for a man sounds very low. I am a 5'4'' female and eat more than that.
    He is trying to lose weight !

So am I, and I eat 1700 a day for my TDEE - 20%

The difference is he is 61 years old and you are 27. Run your BMR and pretend you are 61 - you will be shocked.

To the OP:
    what I suggest (works for me) is to set up your goals using sedentary. Then, when you do exercise, log the exercise. Set your loss rate at 1 lb/week. Log all your food and any exercise you do and at the end of the day, your "remaining calories" should be zero. The calories you have available will depend on how active you were that day. Works for me.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me.

I'm 6'4 and currently 278lbs, 39 years old (almost)

BMR is around 2500
    Consumption is around 2100 per day across 5 meals
    Burn averages 3300 calories per day (in a 24 hour period stats from BodyBugg/KiFit)

Steady weightloss of around 1.5 - 2lbs per week.

My TDEE for sedentary desk job is 3002
  • Werner1950
    Werner1950 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Many of them are helpful. I will gladly increase my intake for a couple of weeks to 1550. Of course I will keep you posted.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    Here is what has worked for me...

Go to Scooby's Calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter in your realistic workouts (light, moderate, heavy) and eat what they tell ya to :) Don't eat back your exercise calories because those have already been put into your cals

Don't be afraid to eat, you need to fuel your body. If you're seriously hungry, eat some protein and keep track of when you're hungry.

Thanks for this! I ran my numbers using helloitsdan's road map, but I ran them again on here just out of curiousity.

Female, 5'3.5", 166#, 29 years old, do Turbo Fire 5-6 days a week. I marked down 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, and had it set to 20% reduction in calories.

Here's the fun part:

I changed it to 25% reduction and I got a popup "WARNING: blah blah blah, this is drastic, consult a doctor!"

And this is what made me laugh...that "crazy" reduction tells me to eat 1783 calories a day.

Now that's WAY more than 1200!!

I already knew this...I follow the roadmap helloitsdan laid out so I've been eating around 1700-1800 a day. I ate 2200 yesterday and did extra exercise to compensate for that and it was seriously the best workout of my life. Every time I would exercise in the past, I would starve myself as well. A few days of starving and strenuous exercise and no immediate scale results and I would give up.

I <3 eating, exercising, and looking great!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Here is what has worked for me...

Go to Scooby's Calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter in your realistic workouts (light, moderate, heavy) and eat what they tell ya to :) Don't eat back your exercise calories because those have already been put into your cals

Don't be afraid to eat, you need to fuel your body. If you're seriously hungry, eat some protein and keep track of when you're hungry.

Thanks for this! I ran my numbers using helloitsdan's road map, but I ran them again on here just out of curiousity.

Female, 5'3.5", 166#, 29 years old, do Turbo Fire 5-6 days a week. I marked down 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, and had it set to 20% reduction in calories.

Here's the fun part:

I changed it to 25% reduction and I got a popup "WARNING: blah blah blah, this is drastic, consult a doctor!"

And this is what made me laugh...that "crazy" reduction tells me to eat 1783 calories a day.

Now that's WAY more than 1200!!

I already knew this...I follow the roadmap helloitsdan laid out so I've been eating around 1700-1800 a day. I ate 2200 yesterday and did extra exercise to compensate for that and it was seriously the best workout of my life. Every time I would exercise in the past, I would starve myself as well. A few days of starving and strenuous exercise and no immediate scale results and I would give up.

I <3 eating, exercising, and looking great!

That's awesome that they're so close! I started doing helloitsdan 2.0 and I just didn't have time (i know, excuses but I am pretty busy) to do all the steps so the fact the scooby calculator is so close is really good to know!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So am I, and I eat 1700 a day for my TDEE - 20%

Good for you, the OP isn't doing 600 calories/day of exercise.

He said in a post that he works out 5 days a week. That isn't sedentary for most TDEE calculators, that's Moderately active, which means that his TDEE - 20% would be higher then 1500. If he was doing nothing, a true sedentary, then 1500 is quite reasonable.

As Going4Lean posted, that link is a great resource. It also explains why OP would need to eat a much higher number with working out 5x/week.

EDIT: didn't say in original post, said it a few posts down explaining where he got his numbers from.

I am only burning an average of 250 calories/day and eating 1800 calories, 5'4" female and losing 1-2 pounds per week. Now what?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Mines 1490 for weight loss...

I'm also a male, and I seriously doubt I could eat more considering I've basically cut out any grains and legumes out my meals.

I meal for god sakes.

3 chicken breasts, taziki, onions and lettuce for supper.

Mince raisins and egg approx 250g in total for lunch

a plain 2 egg omellete/fritata egg bake or whatever with lamb babootie (again mince, raisins, egg) for breakfast.

approx 2 servings nuts for snacks.

Total is 1707c for food and apparently daily goal is 1811 because of my training I did but cannot eat more than have as full...

On Sundays I have to breakaway from my pattern and sometimes eat in excess of 3000 calories, because my long runs burn sometimes 3000 calories and more sometimes.... And trust me, you will find it hard to eat quality food that provides 3000 calories without being full before your finished... I ended up in negative calories this sunday because I couldn't eat more than I did I mean, basically was breakfast then dinner, because lunch I had on the run (corn dogs)

My suggestion, cut out breads, you do not need to but out much else if you only plan on weight loss really, but it helps... Breads aren't filling and neither are they nutritious....

How is it that you can't seem to eat more, except on Sundays? Do you you carb-load on bread on Sundays....eat a whole batch of cinnamon rolls? That's confusing me.
  • Werner1950
    Werner1950 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So I now figured out how I arrived at a 1200 cal diet. I didn't. MFP told me that is what I must achieve if I want to lose between 1-2 lbs per week.

So I had to use manual custom settings, to change my goals, and now it tells me based on my revised goals that I shall only lose .8 lb per week. C'est la vie.

We'll see.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So I now figured out how I arrived at a 1200 cal diet. I didn't. MFP told me that is what I must achieve if I want to lose between 1-2 lbs per week.

So I had to use manual custom settings, to change my goals, and now it tells me based on my revised goals that I shall only lose .8 lb per week. C'est la vie.

We'll see.

You can do it :) Doing something is better then doing nothing