Trying to gain weight

bw64774
bw64774 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hi I'm a 23 year old guy looking to gain weight. Joined a few weeks ago and was wondering if there was anyone else trying to do the same.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I am in maintenance mode now but would like to change my goals shortly to put on 5-8 pounds of muscle, to be back were I was when I was your age. I am now 30 and my body fat % is pretty much the same as it was 7 years ago but I weigh about 8 pounds less now. The big thing when trying to gain is that you have to eat a lot more and exercise harder and the food you do eat has to be good and high protein and timing of eating is important as well. Good luck.
  • bw64774
    Yea I've been pretty small my whole life but just recently started seriously trying to gain weight. Eating ALOT more has helped out alot. I kept track of my food on here for a few days before I started and it was no wonder I wasn't gaining any weight. I've always ate alot but I'm one of those people that could eat junk food all day but not as much the important stuff. I have started eating alot healthier. I've also increased the amount of protein in my diet. Anyway good luck man and thanks.
  • I am in exactly the same boat. I am a 23 year old who has just joined myfitnesspal to gain weight. I weigh about 65kg at the moment and I have a short term goal to get that up to 70kg. I have never been able to get up to 70kg and am hoping myfitnesspal can help me get there.
  • So there are some people on here like me! Just signed up today. I'm 8 lbs underweight according to bmi charts... hoping to gain at least that, 20 in the long run. My favorite post-workout snacks are peanut-butter toast, parmesan noodles, and homemade granola bars. What do you eat after you work out?
  • bw64774
    Yea as of right now I weigh about 140 and I am looking to gain about 20 lbs. also. So far I've gained about 4 lbs. so I think it is definitely helping me by keeping track of what I am eating. I also like to eat peanut butter sandwiches after work out and have been trying different protein shakes. How do you make homemade granola bars? That sounds interesting.
  • Here's the website I got the base idea from... http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/11/homemade-granola-bar-recipe-no-high-fructose-corn-syrup-in-these-bars/ I haven't made it with peanuts, because I don't like them in my granola bars. It goes really well with mixed fruit or cranberries, I usually add more that it says. Very easy to make, don't forget to store in the fridge, and take them out to warm up before you eat them!
  • bw64774
    Thanks man. I'll definitely try that.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    FYI:
    I just responded to one of frogmanjared's posts on tickers to track weight gain. Thought you all might be interested.
  • aisser
    aisser Posts: 232
    I need to loose weight but I have custody of my Nephew he is only 12 but only weighs 75 lbs and is 5 feet tall and very very active. I have only had him since Sept. and his meals only junk foods so having a little trouble getting him to eat veggies and fruits. Anyone got any ideas on how to add pounds.I have him eating 4 meals and 2 snacks.Having trouble getting him to eat most of his meals I tried cutting snacks but that didn't help. His snacks are fruit(bananas) poptarts, cereal a debbie snack (limited) Icecream(limited).
    Any Ideas?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    I need to loose weight but I have custody of my Nephew he is only 12 but only weighs 75 lbs and is 5 feet tall and very very active. I have only had him since Sept. and his meals only junk foods so having a little trouble getting him to eat veggies and fruits. Anyone got any ideas on how to add pounds.I have him eating 4 meals and 2 snacks.Having trouble getting him to eat most of his meals I tried cutting snacks but that didn't help. His snacks are fruit(bananas) poptarts, cereal a debbie snack (limited) Icecream(limited).
    Any Ideas?

Okay, being male he needs to weigh around 90 at his age and height. Try adding in Quaker Instant Breakfast shakes, PB on celery or bell peppers, try hummus as another possible 'dip'. Kids love to be hands on with food...take him shopping with the requirement that he has to pick out one new fruit and veg that he's never eaten. Have him help in the cooking and preparing the meal. Present the food in fun ways-we eat with our eyes as well as our mouths (bento box style-really works with my 6 year old). Does he like comics/anime? Do super hero style foods-what whould Spider-man eat to get strong? That type of thing. I highly recomend checking out some kid cookbooks from the library. Rachel Ray has a good one. PM me if you want any other advice.
  • aisser
    Tried the him helping with cooking bad idea when he saw chicken raw now he won't eat it same with home cooked hamburger but he will still go out and order a hamburger. I take him when I go shopping and he tries to sneek in junk food when I'm not looking.He won't eat PB. Tried the breakfast shakes for a snack all it did was made him more hyper. I go to the library, will check out the kids cookbooks maybe that will work.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Tried the him helping with cooking bad idea when he saw chicken raw now he won't eat it same with home cooked hamburger but he will still go out and order a hamburger. I take him when I go shopping and he tries to sneek in junk food when I'm not looking.He won't eat PB. Tried the breakfast shakes for a snack all it did was made him more hyper. I go to the library, will check out the kids cookbooks maybe that will work.

Okay...you addressed the one issue that always sets me off (no, it's not a bad thing). Children are often not taught where their food comes from. Talk about what beef, poltry, pork, and fish really are. Either a child will accept eating a cow or a pig or they won't. I'm a vegetarian for a reason (I cannot tolerate the thought of eating animals). Children need to know what they are eating. My child knows what a hamburger is (and yes she eats them-it's her choice).
    Also, keep the junk out of the house that way he has no choice but to eat healthfully. Try to incorporate choices...he can either have green beans or a salad but he has to have one of them.
    This is a process...if he's used to eating only junk...it's what he was taught....you'll just have to un-teach him. I'm sure that by now he's had Heath Class in school, check with the school if it's been covered and if they can offer suggestions. If possible set up an appt. with a nutritionist or his pediatrition and talk about healthy vs. non-healthy foods.
    One last point...it takes trying something around 20 times before a person likes it. When I was a child my mother couldn't get me to eat asparagus, rice, or beans...now I eat them all the time. You have to train your taste buds to like certain things.
  • aisser
    He knew where the meat came from he just didn't know that it had blood in it. I tried to tell him that all meat was that way but he said that fish doesn't then he said that pork doesn't because that is ham & bacon he knows it comes from pig. I think he is just rebeling because I don't let him have the junk and he said it isn't fair. I tell him life isn't always fair.:laugh: Milk is the 1 thing he drinks with no problem and I do bribe him with it sometimes. If you eat this you can have another glass of milk. It works some of the time.
This discussion has been closed.