Why I needed a kitchen scale!

Options

Replies

• tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Guess i'll be weighing my Kashi GoLean in the morning. *Sigh...* I have been using the cup also. I do have a small cheap dial scale that i use a lot. Hoping to upgrade to a digital one soon. One that will hold more.

I was amazed when i started weighing. That 2 oz of cooked pasta isn't squat!! :noway:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    okay, so I need a kichen scale it sounds like. what is the best/cheapest one and where do I get it? and I live in a very small town. so walmart or online are my choices.

I got mine at walmart. It's in the Kitchen/housewares section.
  • surfer376
    surfer376 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We use our kitchen scale for everything we eat! It's so easy to measure food, way easier and accurate than using measuring cups! Now if i just had a small portable scale that would fit in my purse... ;)

This might work for you knuebee, amazon sells it for 10 dollars cheaper :happy:

http://www.escali.com/pico-high-capacity-pocket-scale
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I used to sell things online all the time, so I have a postal scale that I now use for food measurements. I know, that isn't what it was intended for, but it is accurate.

My husband bought his "kitchen" scale at a hardware store, designed for use by people who do machinist work. I tested the two against each other for accuracy, and my $15 postal scale is just as accurate as his $40 machinist scale. Whatever works.

As long as your measurements are accurate, that is all that really matters. :smile:

When I'm at work- I use the postal scale to measure out my stuff. Grab a dixie cup, subtract the wgt for the tare and have at it. lol
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Guess i'll be weighing my Kashi GoLean in the morning. *Sigh...* I have been using the cup also. I do have a small cheap dial scale that i use a lot. Hoping to upgrade to a digital one soon. One that will hold more.

I was amazed when i started weighing. That 2 oz of cooked pasta isn't squat!! :noway:

You're supposed to weigh pasta dry. :blushing: :bigsmile:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just search on Amazon for digital kitchen scales and you'll find lots of them under $30. Make sure they have a tare button and can go ounces and grams. You'll be set.
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    I used to sell things online all the time, so I have a postal scale that I now use for food measurements. I know, that isn't what it was intended for, but it is accurate.

My husband bought his "kitchen" scale at a hardware store, designed for use by people who do machinist work. I tested the two against each other for accuracy, and my $15 postal scale is just as accurate as his $40 machinist scale. Whatever works.

As long as your measurements are accurate, that is all that really matters. :smile:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that uses a postal scale lol!
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    To the person asking about chicken in the database, look for entries with no *. It will tell you if it is listed as cooked or raw, and is USDA stats.

Amazon does sell a great little portable scale the size of an iphone if you travel a lot, and it is about $12.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    I so need to get me one.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A kitchen scale has made all the difference in my eating habits. I finally know exactly what a serving is.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have used a food scale for many years........I started using one when I had joined Weight Watchers ages ago. It will definately open your eyes, well it surely did mine to portion control especially when measuring food with measuring cups and spoons or by eyeball and you won't believe how much more food you really may be eating by not weighing it. I weigh almost everything I have to eat now.....

Here is a video to watch ;-) about using a scale vs. measuring cups and spoons........
    http://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

**** I have the same scale as in the video only mine was made by Kitrics and not Chefmate ****

The Kitrics Digital Nutrition Scale (I bought mine on QVC a few years ago but have seen it on amazon and some mail order catalogs too) and it has food codes programmed into it and you can add more food codes for your own favorite foods and the scale gives you the nutritional info for the items you are weighing. It has a tare button and you can change between grams and ounces for weighing items.
  • tlroesch72
    Options
    I love my scale -- I weigh everything! It works for me
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    okay, so I need a kichen scale it sounds like. what is the best/cheapest one and where do I get it? and I live in a very small town. so walmart or online are my choices.

I don't know what the best or cheapest is, but the one I got had good ratings and it looks sexy. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Solid foods should be weighed and liquids measured in order to get accurate measurements.

Some food scales have liquid measuring options, one of my two do. That being said, I still use measuring cups for liquids most of the time.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Solid foods should be weighed and liquids measured in order to get accurate measurements.

Some food scales have liquid measuring options, one of my two do. That being said, I still use measuring cups for liquids most of the time.

Oh, that would be awesome! Mine doesn't have the liquids option though.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Can you explain how this works? I don't get it. 8 oz. of milk weighs a different amount than 8 oz. of water. Do you input the item being weighed when it is a liquid??
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Purchasing a food scale proved to be one of the most useful tools when I was shedding my last 10lbs. Realized I sucked bad at eyeballing oz of chicken I was consuming lol

I have been wondering about chicken. Should I measure raw chicken on the scale or cooked chicken? Which MFP chicken listing do you use when its skinless/boneless breast? There are so many...

I weigh it raw, and search for "chicken raw".
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I have been wondering about chicken. Should I measure raw chicken on the scale or cooked chicken? Which MFP chicken listing do you use when its skinless/boneless breast? There are so many...
    [/quote]

On my package of chicken (just generic from walmart, not the best quality but certainly the cheapest)... it says specifically 4oz raw or 3oz cooked. If it doesn't say either way, I go with whatever the serving size is and assume they mean cooked. I count my protein more than cals, so this way even if it was meant to be amount raw, I'm going over and not under which is very important.
  • birdies13
    birdies13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have good news for you! You are supposed to weigh pasta dry. Pasta absorbs water and weighs more after you cook it.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First, I love my digital scale! It weighs in ounces and grams, and I have learned to rely on it over measuring cups because I never knew whether it should be filled to the brim, stuffed, lightly filled, or what. So much more accurate, and I have found that it allows me more of certain foods than I would have given myself using a measuring cup (shredded cheese comes to mind).

The question about chicken brings another question of mine to mind, however - for frozen shrimp, do you weigh frozen or thawed? With or without tails? Maybe it seems petty, but if I'm entitled to more calories (by thawing and removing tails), I want to enjoy them!