Eight Cups of Water?

Options
2»

Replies

• gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I saw a nutrtionalist and they said if you are peeing that much and getting your 8 glasses of water a day then you have a mineral imbalance. She suggested I drink Raseberry Leaf tea to help get my minerals back in balance. It helped and I have found that if I eat a "clean" diet that helps too.

So maybe try that and see if it helps.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon of water a day
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I agree... but not always... every body is different! I used to drink a gallon of water a day... but that was from the time I got up to the time I went to bed so a good 16 hours... I'm not saying that this is what she is doing I'm just sending out a warning just in case! Just trying to be helpful!

Right, trying to be helpful -- I think that's what we're all doing.
    The reason I bothered responding to your post is because it's possible someone is going to read your post and think "OMG, I'm going to die if I drink 4 liters of water a day." So, something needed to be said explaining that if you have healthy kidneys and drink 4 liters of water over the course of a day, you're going to be fine.

We have to remember our audience. :smile: A lot of people (myself included) are here still trying to learn. While we cynics and skeptics know better than to take everything (or anything, really) we read at face value, others aren't so fortunate (or unfortunate). So, then you end up with a bunch of "I read somewhere that you shouldn't drink more than 3 liters of water a day because otherwise you're over hydrating yourself and you'll die" posts and then the minsinformation spreads everywhere & then there are a ton of people who have absolutely no clue what the fact of the matter really is and that's a problem for me.

Also, you agree but not always about what? Healthy human (adult) kidneys can easily and safely process WAY more than 4 liters of water a day without complication (15 liters) -- that doesn't vary so much (Keyword is "healthy"). The science of the matter is you are unlikely to suffer from over hydration even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. There's really no "everyone is different" about it in this case when it comes to healthy (adult) human kidneys.

I just think warning someone drinking 4 liters a day about over hydration could cause very unnecessary alarm/panic in other MFP users so I wanted to clarify (to the best of my limited knowledge). :wink: I didn't mean to step on your toes! :smile:
  • MyFamilyRox15
    MyFamilyRox15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you fight going to the bathroom. A person should be getting 3-4 quarts of water a day, not 8 glasses. Have you tried using a really big mug/water bottle? It doesn't seem as much when it's contained in one unit. Kind of like using a small bowl/plate to make a portion look bigger. KWIM?

Hello!
    Trying to get on board with the water intake here!
    The co workers or boss don't appreciate the frequent potty calls while on the job.
    Also, while on the road, it's very distracting to have to 'stop' and have to 'go'...
    There is some excellent advice and thoughts on this topic on this thread.
    Very inspiring.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I teach so I get a break at lunch and then I'm not allowed to leave the kids in the classroom alone which SUCKS when you have to peeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    when at work I have to walk about 100 yards to the bathroom every time....I hate that! lol

exercise though I guess
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I teach so I get a break at lunch and then I'm not allowed to leave the kids in the classroom alone which SUCKS when you have to peeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I teach too... I get to go at lunch and on my prep... and thats it! I usually am okay because I am so busy but I hate waking up at night so much to pee!
  • hoczus
    hoczus Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't understand why you fight going to the bathroom. A person should be getting 3-4 quarts of water a day, not 8 glasses. Have you tried using a really big mug/water bottle? It doesn't seem as much when it's contained in one unit. Kind of like using a small bowl/plate to make a portion look bigger. KWIM?

Hello!
    Trying to get on board with the water intake here!
    The co workers or boss don't appreciate the frequent potty calls while on the job.
    Also, while on the road, it's very distracting to have to 'stop' and have to 'go'...
    There is some excellent advice and thoughts on this topic on this thread.
    Very inspiring.

I promise I don't mind! Not that we work together often :)