Did you increase your calories with positive results?

Options

Replies

• Favor_fire
    Options
    Thank you! Going to try and find it now :)
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I was eating at 1660 and losing nothing, struggling to keep off what I lost already. All summer I didn't lose after having lost at least ten pounds a month previously. So I figured I'm tracking and been doing it since March without missing a day. So I upped to maintenance levels, thinking if I gained then I could drop it back down. So I lost 3 pounds.
    I'm still losing at maintenance levels. On average for a week I eat about 120 calories less per day than my maintenance goals--that includes eating my workout calories.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    I have upped my calories and lost a pound a weekfor first two weeks. Amd starting to implememnt carb cycling now. my body is happy, so happy now !!

I have been losing a pound a week, with or without exercise.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    bump
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories because, like everyone else in the world, I wanted to lose the weight as quickly as possible. (Plus exercise calories. I always at my exercise calories.)

That lasted a month, until I realized that the only time I lost more than one pound a week was when I had a stomach flu.

So, I figured, if I'm only going to lose one pound a week, why not set my goal to one pound a week? Then I got 1350. And that very first week, I lost 1.5 pounds. :happy: I continued at that until I got about 10 pounds from my goal, then I switched to a half pound a week, which was around 1500.

When I reached my initial goal weight, I stopped logging on weekends, but kept at 1500. I also increased my protein and aimed for a minimum of 100g a day. That month, I averaged one pound a week. While only trying to lose a half pound a week, and only logging Monday through Friday.

So... yeah, increasing calories was a very good thing for me. In the past, I thought the only way to lose would be to continue to eat less and less and less. I was wrong. :smile:

That's a terrific example to a lot of people here who starve themselves and see nothing wrong with it. Go you!
  • tara0825
    tara0825 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump...to read later. :)
  • ElleFerguson
    ElleFerguson Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the head's up on the Scooby's BMR webpage. I'd like to find out more about this as I tend to have a difficult time losing weight as of late.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    no. I started out eating back my exercise calories, and lost a bit of weight (working out 6 days a week). Then I stalled out, and tried adding MORE food (while still working out) I was within my TDEE.

I finished P90x, and ate 15% below my TDEE, still couldn't lose weight. So, I started cutting back little by little. Still didn't lose weight. So, now I just eat when I'm hungry, I loosely pay attention to my calories (still log them) and I am finally seeing the scale start to move again.

It's great that eating more works for some people, but it just didn't work for me.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :smile:
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yes and feel SO much better for it!!
  • lucy2021
    lucy2021 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm just going to give this a try. I talked to a personal trainer yesturday and told him what I have been doing for calories and he thought I should be taking in about 1800-2000 calories. He also told me to cut out carbs after 3pm. No Pasta No Bread and No Fruit. I sounds completely crazy but I'm going to give it a try. I will let you know how it goes.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you agree that 1200 diets are for sedentary people and increased calories are for people who exercise? I would NOT recommend increasing calories for someone who DOESN'T exercise; but I would for someone who exercises daily.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories by 300 a day this week. I also way over ate this past weekend. I managed to lose a pound even with the binge weekend, and the additional calories.

Even better, I've been able to push more weight at the gym, and my lap time on the bike has decreased. Yesterday, I shaved 13 minutes off my 20 mile ride. Even at the end of the ride I felt strong and energetic whereas I used to collapse on the couch for the rest of the night after a ride of that distance.

I obviously needed the extra calories, but if my progress should ever stall again, I will make adjustments as necessary.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I upped from 1200-1850 (plus 200-400 breastfeeding calories) and have lost 10 lbs so far.

I initially lost on 1200 but hit a 3 month plateau. Eating more broke the plateau, solved my digestive issues, gave me more energy and just changed my life in general.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump....def watching this one!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.....
  • melaniedzialo
    melaniedzialo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Per my dietitian, I increase from 1200 to 1500 and feel SO MUCH BETTER! And the funny thing is I am still on track to lose weight at the same pace. I think I was starving myself before. :happy:
  • spark409
    spark409 Posts: 96
    Options
    im in the same boat as u bump