how long till you stop gaining muscle?

Options
Ive been working out on average 3 hours a day for a couple months now, and though Ive lost a bunch of inches, and feel amazing ...the scale is painfully slow to move...I understand that its because Im gaining muscle and all that, but when? pray tell, will I stop gaining muscle...and start dropping pounds? I know its stupid to fixate on the numbers on the little metal box, but I cant help it, Im shallow like that.

Replies

• zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Every person has it's maximum genetic potential when it comes to gaining muscle, when you reach that then you will not gain anymore muscle. I don't have the exact statistics but that's the idea. It's good to gain muscle.. It's all about gaining muscle and losing the fat and let the mirror be your judge and not the scale.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale - it lies! You have more energy - look great - have lost inches.
    Follow you body fat % and how your clothes fit - they don't lie!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, and I totally appreciate your responses. But I still want to know:

When will the number start going down???????

from your experience. when did it start happening for you after you started working out on a regular basis?
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    bump... I am would like to know as well
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches why do you care what the scale says?
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    You are not gaining muscle.

And if you are truly exercising for 3 hours a day, I doubt 1600 calories a day is going to work well in the long run.

The scale is always painfully slow. Have patience and eat. Eat. Eat. Eat. And if you are losing inches, then the scale shouldn't matter.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You are not gaining muscle.

And if you are truly exercising for 3 hours a day, I doubt 1600 calories a day is going to work well in the long run.

The scale is always painfully slow. Have patience and eat. Eat. Eat. Eat.

^ also with only 70 grams of protien a day you are not staying the same weight cause you are putting on muscle.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating? What sort of exercises are you doing? I am will to say... without you answering those questions that you are not gaining muscle... unless you have never lifting so much as a loaf of bread in your lift and start lifting heavy... or if you are eating a surplus... you are not gaining muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Ive been working out on average 3 hours a day for a couple months now, and though Ive lost a bunch of inches, and feel amazing ...the scale is painfully slow to move...I understand that its because Im gaining muscle and all that, but when? pray tell, will I stop gaining muscle...and start dropping pounds? I know its stupid to fixate on the numbers on the little metal box, but I cant help it, Im shallow like that.
    Unfortunately gaining muscle on a calorie deficit isn't likely here. It's practically impossible to do. And why are you working out 3 hours a day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iris8pie
    Options
    I do 2 hours of cardio and one hour of weight training. then about 10 mins of swimming at the end. I know I am gaining muscle because I can feel it all over my body. I eat about 1500-2000 cals a day.

I dont know why I care, but I do! I just want to know how it happened for you guys...how long after working out did the number start dropping?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I do 2 hours of cardio and one hour of weight training. then about 10 mins of swimming at the end. I know I am gaining muscle because I can feel it all over my body. I eat about 1500-2000 cals a day.

I dont know why I care, but I do! I just want to know how it happened for you guys...how long after working out did the number start dropping?
    Getting stronger doesn't equate to muscle gain. Neural muscular adaptation isn't the same as muscle gain. If you're seeing more definition, it's because there's less fat and not because of muscle gain. Unless you're in calorie surplus it's not happening. Realize that to gain muscle is to gain weight. To gain weight, you have to be eating more than you burn.

IDEA Fitness member
  • iris8pie
    Options
    I work out 3 hours because it feels really good to me. the first hour of eliptical and biking and walking just warms up my muscles....then i do like a kick boxing class or weight lifting and really sweati feel really good. then a yoga class or pilates and feel all relaxed. the three hours flies by.
  • iris8pie
    Options
    thats interesting I didnt know that Niner.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You might be overtraining. I started out last year doing weights and running a little bit. Lost weight and body fat. Then I got into running (and basically quit lifting) and started logging a lot of miles (and would also do a crazy amount of stair climber)--yup--a little cardio bunny! I gained weight and body fat. The "experts" at the gym said I was overtraining and my body was ONLY burning sugar/carbs and not fat b/c of the overtraining (I had 3 metabolic tests done). I then scaled back the running (now do 6-7 miles 3x a week) and have started (heavier) weight training with a trainer. I see A LOT more definition and loss of body fat%. My weight has not gone down really but I know I'm losing fat and inches. Also, with your lifting, you may want to try to get more protein. I have also started going low(er) carb (aka--cutting out my starches and only getting carbs from my fruits and veggies) and I have seen a big difference in my body. Good luck!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Realize that 3 hours of working out is probably causing lots of water retention which why you probably aren't seeing scale movement. Activate don't annihilate muscles. But like mentioned above, if you look the way you want, fit the clothes you want, then scale weight should be disregarded.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, 3 hours a day on 1800 calories is super overkill. Also, cardio won't help you gain muscle, it eats away at muscle.

Stick to 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of cardio at most and a full weights routine and you'll see better results, faster.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

:
    Yeah that's not muscle at all. It's not that easy. Maybe your retaining fluid because your working out so much. :)
  • iris8pie
    Options
    easier said than done, my friend!

but thank you for both for your wise insightful words. I will just keep listening to my body...doing what Im doing and trust that eventually it will happen for me

xoxo peace!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone posted this yet: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Check out thiat girl!!
    I'll take those extra pounds anyday!!
    BTW, I've been lifting heavy since April. Up 5 pounds still, but down 4% body fat since then. No complaints here :)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    easier said than done, my friend!

but thank you for both for your wise insightful words. I will just keep listening to my body...doing what Im doing and trust that eventually it will happen for me

xoxo peace!
    Insanity = doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Why ask for advice if you don't care to hear it? Annoying.