running/problem with toenails falling off!

Options

Replies

• jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm a foot care nurse, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Save your money by not going to the doctor, and buy yourself a pair of shoes that has a large toe box, and make sure they're long enough. Your toenail is falling off because of the constant trauma, the pounding against the top of the shoe. Chances are, your second toe is a wee bit longer than the big toe. You should go to a shoe store that specializes in athletic shoes and get fitted by someone that knows what they're doing.
  • everlastingdream
    Options
    I've had this happen! My toe became infected and as a result I was out of action for a while and on antibiotics..and in a lot of pain! I'd suggest ya pop to your doctors to see if anything can be done to prevent it, but if not try to cushion the foot as much as possible, and when not running allow the air to get to your foot to let it 'breathe.' Hope it gets better (: (best of luck for the marathon!!) x
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This happened to me once when I went on quite an intense hiking weekend. I was advised that I should have clipped my toenails beforehand. I do that now whenever I go on a long hike and it's never happened since. It's because if your toenail is a bit long, it pushes against the shoe, and longer you walk/run, the more repeatedly this will happen, so a blister forms under the toenail. When the skin of the blister falls off, the toenail falls off with it.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when I first started running again after having my second baby and I was still wearing the same shoes from before baby #1...they felt ok when walking but when I had been running for a few minutes it felt like it was going to bruise, which it did and then after a while fell off. I went in for a pedi with my sis in-law that had been planned for a month and a half, right before the first one came off and when I started to tell the nail tech that I had started running, she cut me off and said "Say no more, I deal with runner's toenail issues all the time." I would say that it must be fairly common. I got bigget shoes and have been pretty much ok after that.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I get this if my shoe is too short or too narrow or the toe box is too low. there should be at least a thumbs width between the tip of you big toe and the tip of the shoe for length. go up a size wider, and look at the height of the toe box as well. Also I find that womens shoes are cut narrow in the toe box and have had better luck moving to mens shoes - they tend to have wider and taller toe boxes, even in the smaller sizes.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough calcium?
    Do you have a toenail fungus?
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    ok, this is weird i know but before i go to the doctors over this i thought i would shout out to the boards...

i have been a long distant runner most all of my life but took 2 years off starting back again nov 2011 and am currently in training for race in oct 2012

since April of this year my two toes nails (next to my big toe, and only on the left side) keep coming off...like falling off...
    its not INSTANT or anything...but i can tell that when i start to increase my mileage/pace (as I am now) that these particular toes start hurting and the toenails will fall off! (this will be the second time since April!

the first time it happened i went and got fitted for shoes (which was in April ) and that seemed to help although they had just fallen off at that time so who really knows if it helped but my feet felt better LOL

I almost feel like maybe i am putting too my pressure with regard to my run on those two toes but that doesnt make sense or does it??? i am in a quandry and thought i would ask you all...

has anyone else had this happen?
    Happens to me all the time! It is rather common for long distance runners. It is caused by blisters under toes and being some what snug in the toe area. However, no matter what shoe i wear my toe nails, both the ones next to my big toes fall off.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep I always get my running shoes a full size larger than my regular shoes. Lots of space required especially if you run a lot of hills... on the way down your toes will take a pounding.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Bad shoes. :cry:
  • Epetrovitch
    Epetrovitch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem and went to a podiatrist. The doctor called it "bottle cap nail".He said it is common in runners, It is caused when the shoe puts pressure on the end of the nail and causes the nail to separate at the cuticle which causes the nail to fall off. Trimming the nail straight across and switching running shoes took care of the problem for me. I'd still have it checked out by a doctor.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It has been a long time but I have had this happen. I found that it was from having shoes with not enough room or too thick of material above the toes (like leather or something thick), but if it were softer cloth my toe would wear a hole through the top of the shoe. For me it was always my big toe nails that I lost. I found it was better to have a shoe with softer cloth above the toes and wear a hole through the top (and by then it is probably time for new shoes anyway!).
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Woah! That's really extreme! :O Do you keep your nails trim? Either that or you need to get refitted for new trainers.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Losing a toenail is considered, in some circles, a rite of passage on the path to becoming a serious runner.

Personally it hasn't happened to me, but it's surprisingly common. Your runners should normally be about a half size bigger than your street shoes and try a shoe with a roomier toe box.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Losing a toenail is considered, in some circles, a rite of passage on the path to becoming a serious runner.

Personally it hasn't happened to me, but it's surprisingly common. Your runners should normally be about a half size bigger than your street shoes and try a shoe with a roomier toe box.

I never lost a toenail or even got a black toenail running 25 miles per week and 4 half marathons. You're right that it's awfully common though.

I would recommend letting the running store suggest the proper shoe size, as sometimes it will vary from one brand or style to another. I've always been at least one full size larger than my street shoes. Not sure if men find that they are typically closer to their street shoe size.
  • hummus40
    hummus40 Posts: 72
    Options
    I had this problem. I was horrified the first time it happened and a friend told me it was common! I wear Saucony because they have a roomier toe box. Solved the problem for me.

how about mizuno? have u ever run in those?
  • hummus40
    Options
    Woah! That's really extreme! :O Do you keep your nails trim? Either that or you need to get refitted for new trainers.

i was fitted in may for new digs and upped my shoe size an entire one...saucony was the recommendation so i went with those and seemed to work great...i am guessin i need a new pair at this point..
  • hummus40
    Options
    Are you getting enough calcium?
    Do you have a toenail fungus?

no toenail fungus...i eat a ton of dairy so idt i lack in the calcium department...i do know that when my nails pop off and the new ones grow in that they dont even make it a few mila inches (is that even a word!?) and they get ingrown on the sides and hence the cycle starts once again.
    i am hopin new shoes will help.
    just frustrating...but not enough to stop my training lol
  • hummus40
    Options
    I'm a foot care nurse, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Save your money by not going to the doctor, and buy yourself a pair of shoes that has a large toe box, and make sure they're long enough. Your toenail is falling off because of the constant trauma, the pounding against the top of the shoe. Chances are, your second toe is a wee bit longer than the big toe. You should go to a shoe store that specializes in athletic shoes and get fitted by someone that knows what they're doing.

thanks for this info...my other issue is after the nail falls off and the regrowth appears but it doesnt even make it to the top of the skin (barely) before it becomes ingrown and PAIN sets in...when that happens it starts the cycle over again and a new nail grows under and the top one pops off....but the top nail never even GREW that much...thats what is confusing to me....and myt my toe next to my big toe is slightly longer than my big toe...
    but its always the two toes next to the big toe...ugh
    but, as i stated earlier...still not enough to make me stop the training :)
    just wish i could find that MAGIC WAND and make it go AWAY
  • coclough
    Options
    You are not alone with this problem. I have been running for years and for years my toenails have been falling off. It's usually my big and small toenails that come off. What's strange is that there is never any pain associated with them coming off. I think because my toes are always hitting the front of my shoes, even more so when I'm running fast or down hill, it may be the cause of the problem. I don't think changing shoes will help, but running less or slower might stop it from happening. However, as a runner that is not an option.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I play a lot of tennis and I do have trouble with my toenails from time to time, as do some of my friends. I have a narrow foot so if I get a shoe that fits me for width it can be too short, or something that fits the length is too wide so I slop around. I think you need a shoe that fits properly.

I was watching a ladies tennis match on TV the other day and one of the players had trouble with blisters - not sure who she was, a blonde European. She was immaculately made-up, lovely hair, slim in a nice outfit but when she took her shoe off - crikey. Her feet were a war zone. I think maybe at some point your feet have to put up or shut up - there is no shoe that can handle the workload.

In cricket some of the fast bowlers, who put a huge amount of stress on to their delivery leg, cut out the top of their shoe so that their big toe nail doesn't smash into the front.