Ladies who squat with weights

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your range of motion is awful on a Smith machine. Ditch it now before it becomes a habit.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Barbell & plates in a power cage.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Barbell FTW, no contest.

The smith machine screws with your range of motion, and doesn't allow you to use your core/stabilizing muscles, so in the future, if you THINK you can squat 120 (or whatever weight) because "I did it in the Smith", and you try with a barbell, you will find that you will fail miserably. It fools you into thinking you can do it when you really can't.

IMO smith squats don't count. If someone told me their 1RM was higher than mine, but they only do smith, they are NOT higher than me!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I generally use a squat rack/power cage and a free weight but if I'm doing something weird, like trying to target my glutes or something, I'll use the Smith Machine. I don't like the smith machine because its range of motion doesn't follow my body mechanics and I feel awkward.

Some people are squat nazis. I'm not. I'm training for aesthetics, not strength.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    BARBELL...hands down...you cant have the correct form on the smith machine.

OH and your abs will thank you for it as well.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Definitely barbell and plates in a squat rack. Smith machines are way too easy to hurt yourself with because of their restrictiveness. They also balance the weight for you so you are doing less work than if you were to squat the same amount with free weights.

Glad you're doing the research beforehand! Enjoy lifting!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I have used both....but only when the squats racks are taken....the smith machine is last resort.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Olympic bar and plates use a power or squat rack = the motion on the smith machine does not permit good form more chance of hurting you knees. free weights make you use more of your core to stabilize.

this!

The smith machine is pretty rough on your knees and isn't a real movement, you can cheat and press into the machine. My wife's max on a smith machine was in the 50lb range. In a power rack she hits 175lbs.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    If I dont have a spotter I am stuck with the Smith since where I workout does not have a rack.

My wife and I changes gyms because of this, you should too.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I squat with a barbell in the power cage. If I had didn't have this choice, I would do goblet squats exclusively.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/goblet_squats_101
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Barbell..plates.. power rack.. hands down the most challenging full body engaging strength workout. My heart rate soars and every muscle feels it.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    barbell > smith machine
    Word up.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Various types of squats using powerblocks and kettlebells. Great for the core.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Barbell and squat rack. It works all your stabilizer muscles much more efficiently than any machine.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My old lady does barbell back squats in a power rack
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    RACK. Never not rack.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Some people are squat nazis.

Squat_Nazi has a certain ring to it. I like this.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I still consider myself a newbie but I've only used the olympic bar and plates in a squat rack, made it to 95#! The Smith machine has too many issues associated it from all the feedback that I've received.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't use a smith machine because of how it restricts movement. I use a barbell and squat rack. But, sometimes I use dumbbells or a medicine ball or I hold a weight if I am doing something different or if I have an injury flair up in my knees. I have heard that some people who have back injuries use the leg press.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Another thing I just thought about...

How would you even pick up the weights without a squat rack? If you're just picking up weight off the floor it wouldn't be heavy enough to worry about needing a spotter.

That's the reason I can't do them at home :(