Options

Replies

• RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Free weights FTW.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I just do it with barbell + 37kg plates in a squat rack.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need a spotter for squats if you use a squat rack. I always use a barbell with weights to get a better range of motion. You're restricted in the smith machine and it makes it dangerous.

^^ Exactly this.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Some people are squat nazis.

Squat_Nazi has a certain ring to it. I like this.

lol
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use free weights. I'm using 8 lbs for 2 sets of 10-12 reps.
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do squats with weights. It's a great way to tone your legs and glutes.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My wife's max on a smith machine was in the 50lb range. In a power rack she hits 175lbs.

I am this wife. I honestly could not use a smith machine, something about the angle just tore me up. I know people are saying that squatting in a smith machine is cheating but smith machines are impossibly difficult for me to use. As soon as I switched to the barbell my squats tripled in less than 2 weeks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Barbell + plates with a squat rack/power cage. If my gym did not have one I would change gyms.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Kettle Ball with squats, or free weights. I prefer the kettle ball
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my range of motion would be terrible in a smith machine. I love power racks. Not a fan of the guardless squat stands, though.

And yeah, add me to the list of women who would change gyms if there wasn't a powerrack. In fact, if they don't have a -bunch-, I'm probably going to be pissy.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Barbell and plates. I've heard too much about Smith machines being injury machines.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I squat with a barbell in the power cage. If I had didn't have this choice, I would do goblet squats exclusively.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/goblet_squats_101

I like this idea of goblet squats. I may try these sometime, thanks!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Barbell + plates with a squat rack/power cage. If my gym did not have one I would change gyms.

I love it when you talk in jibberish.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I always use the Smith machine.

I do this, plus bulgarian lunge squats in the smith machine...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I lift at home. For a while my bench was pushed up against the wall so the squat rack wasn't accessible. I did goblet squats and also held dbs up at my shoulders. Finally got things rearranged and now have access to the rack. It's the only way to go, although there are other squats you can do that don't require the squat rack. I would never use a smith machine for squats. Everything I have read supports what others have said about range of motion and huge potential for injury.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i use freeweights. but i'm not up to the weight of the bar yet. i upped to a 15lb dumb bell in each hand and felt like a BOSS though.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Smith machine will RUIN your knees. Never, never, never use it, it's quite possibly the worst piece of gym equipment ever invented.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bar with plates heavy when I have a spotter, may go a little lighter without a spot or use a smith machine. I or sometimes do front squats instead holding the bar in front acorss your shoulders. other variations squats holding a dumbell or kettlebells,
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Power rack with barbell...act like the Smith machine doesn't exist. It shouldn't. Also, reading other replies...if you're able to do more than say 8 reps with the weight...you should lift heavier. Another point regarding spotters...if you are properly using a power rack with the bars set at an appropriate height...you never need a spotter.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Here, for your reading enjoyment (from http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/):

Some gyms don't have Power Racks. Instead they have Smith Machines which look like Power Racks, but with a fixed bar. Some people will tell you the Smith Machine is safer than free weights since the bar can't fall on you.

Well this isn't true. You can get injured using the Smith Machine. And although you're using a bar, it's a machine. Meaning you'll get subpar results compared to free weights. Here are 10 reasons you shouldn't use the Smith Machine.

1. False Sense of Security. You'll tend to take more risks on the Smith Machine because the barbell is fixed. Putting on weights you might not be able to lift yet since you can stop it more easily anyway.

The Smith Machine isn't as safe as it looks. You can injure yourself if you don't watch what you're doing. Read this story & watch this video for examples of Smith Machine accidents.

2. Unnatural Movements. On a free weight Squat your body goes down in an arched path. Smith Machines force your body into fixed, unnatural movements patterns. This can cause injuries, especially with heavier weights.

New generation Smith Machines — like the Jones Smith Machine — try to solve the problem by allowing 3D movements, including front & backward movement. But they're still machines with drawbacks. Read on.

3, Knee Injuries. Knee pain from the Smith Machine is common. It forces your body into fixed movements patterns and places shearing loads on your knees. And it's hard to position yourself correctly under the bar.

Feet Position. Feet too much under the bar: more knee flexion and knee stress. Feet too much forward: more knee stress because they want to slide forward and your lower back gets in a weak position.
    Hip Extension. You'll tend to lean against the fixed bar, causing less hip extension. Your hamstrings — knee stabilizers — will shut down. More shear force on your knees and thus more risks of ACL injuries.

4. Lower Back Injuries. The fixed bar tends to make you rest against it and the Smith Machine forces you into unnatural movements patterns.

Lower Back Stress. You're pushing your spinal erectors & neck muscles more against the bar. More back stress, especially with heavier weights.
    Lower Back Rounding. Feet too far forward puts your lower back in a weak position and will tend to make your lower back round.

5. No Balance. The Smith Machine balances and stabilizes the weight for you since its bar is fixed. You won't strengthen your stabilizing muscles or improve balance & coordination. Things you need for daily activities & sports.

6. Less Strength. All exercises become easier and less stressful since the Smith Machine balances the weight for you. You won't get as strong. Expect to lift less weight when switching to free weights.

7. Less Muscle. If you aren't making gains: switching to free weights will often make you break that plateau. Free weights force you to balance the weight, making the exercise harder on your body. Bigger adaptive response.

8. Muscle Imbalances You only build strength in 1 plane since the bar is fixed. This causes muscle imbalances and increases the risks of injuries in the other undeveloped planes of movements.

9. Technique is Different. Common advice is to learn to Squat inside the Smith Machine before switching to free weights. The thinking behind this is that the Smith Machine is safer and helps with balance.

But it's a waste of time. Technique is different using free weights since you have to balance the weight yourself. You'll have to lower the weight when switching and relearn technique from scratch.

10. Less Potential. You can minimize some of the above problems. But even if you do, the Smith Machine remains less effective for strength and muscle gains. Instead of trying to minimize problems: do the exercises with most potential.