ppl that are 5 '2 or shorter, hear me out.

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options
    Maybe us up here just can't see you down there. Have you tried wearing a bell? :smile:
    I need to stop drinking coffee when I read these posts. LOL!!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I once got a knock on my door and when I answered the man asked "is your mum or dad home?"

I just laughed and said no as knew he was trying to sell me something lol

I'm 27 years old and own my own house :laugh:
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I find I'm often invisible....people bang into me in shops etc....soon see me though when I shout at them.
    Prime example today woman barges past me in tesco I shout after her 'I assume you meant excuse me before you shoved past' haha look on her face is was priceless.
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Ok does anyone else feel like just because your short, some ppl don't respect you, or try to run you over? I have been having that problem lately. Just because I am 5'2 ,and look like I am 15, doesn't mean you can talk to me like I am a kid. One woman in my workout class, has just been running me over with rude comments. I was talking to out instructors in front of the whole class, and right in the middle of my statement she tells me to shut up. No one was talking but me. I mean I am an adult now! You can't say that to me. And on top of that I am still looked at like a kid. Just because I am short, doesn't mean I am stupid! I can understand what you are trying to say. Does this just happen to me?
    Was height truly the only factor? The way you've described it, this sounds like an ongoing situation with a single individual. Based on the bit of information you've provided, it's hard to tie your height to the behaviour.

Respect can't be taken for granted. People who are self-confident project this in many ways, especially in their voice. Likewise, those are are less confident project that as well. I know a lady who is 4'11" that commands the attention of the room by her presence alone. She's not especially loud but she projects confidence and surety.

I also know a guy who interrupts almost compulsively... and whatever he has to say is the most important thing EVER... even if it's inane... It doesn't take long before people figure him out and want nothing to do with him which, unfortunately, feeds his cycle of rude communication.

Yes this has been an ongoing thing, the woman is like 5'3. And I never thought about carrying myself with a little confidence . I just thought because I am the shortest woman in class some woman might not take me seriously, and she is one of them.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 159cm and have honestly never truly felt it has made any difference to how I'm treated. It's just hard when I try to reach things up high.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and yes people have TRIED to disrespect me (height or not)but I don't let them, nor should you. You don't have to stoop to their level (funny) but you definitely should speak up. That type of behavior is unacceptable and she needed to know that. Don't ever let someone disrespect you. You are just as important as they THINK they are :)

Also, don't assume it's your height, some ppl are just like that which is why I made a point to say not to let them disrespect you.
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4''. Studies do show that there is a lot of discrimination against shorter men. They can even break it down into how many thousands of dollars of income each inch is worth for an average American male.

Short women probably deal with a lot of crap too, but its not as systematic and there are some pluses for short women in the dating game. Big minuses for short guys.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Would've told that b*tch to shut the *kitten* up & if she has a problem then she doesn't have to listen.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I used to. Now I make it abundantly clear I can snap anyone in half who'd like to walk all over me. It's all about attitude, baby. Strut through there like you own the place.
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 4'10", 20 years old, and have had people guess my age to be around 13. :grumble: I find that people ignore me *a lot* and sometimes I feel that they think they can walk all over me, without fear of an antagonistic reaction on my part.

But I've never thought that it's to do with my height. It's because I'm too nice to people, and sometimes I think my personality verges on being meek. The truth is that I don't like upsetting people, or having them think poorly of me, or imposing myself upon them, and so I end up seeming to put their needs before my own. I wait until they really p*ss me off, and then I have at it full throttle!
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4''. Studies do show that there is a lot of discrimination against shorter men. They can even break it down into how many thousands of dollars of income each inch is worth for an average American male.

Short women probably deal with a lot of crap too, but its not as systematic and there are some pluses for short women in the dating game. Big minuses for short guys.

I really agree with this. Shorter men have it much worse. Somehow it's a much less forgiving situation.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am 4'9.5" tall. I am 29 years old and I can honestly tell you that no one dares tell me to shut up. I used to get walked all over and now... not so much I think it all depends on how you carry yourself. And if someone tires to ignore me.. yeah that doesn't fly. my boss always laughs when people ignore me because I just do not go away.

Make it known that you dislike being talked down to, and that if they do they will regret it. You do not need to be rude, I am a very polite person and I have never in my adult life been told to shut up by anyone who wasn't my family.
  • tabbyhuber
    Options
    i'm not short. I'm 5'8.5, that woman is soooo rude. WTF! Who does that? I don't disrespect people for there height. How ever I sometimes say things that I don't relies hurts people. Like this girl at my work is really short and every time she reaches for something high I ask if she want's help or a chair or something. I mean well by this but apparently she HATES it. My bad. :/

I'm jealous of short people, you can wear heels and not tower over guys. You look cute in everything. If you stumble or trip it makes you look goofy. If I trip I look like a big clutz. Short people have a lot of advantages. plus you can weigh less. average for 5'2 is 110 average for 5'8 is 140. -_-

I am 5'1 on a good day..I would KILL to be as tall as you...I wouldn't mind looking like a big clutz if I trip, if it meant I could walk into a store and buy a pair of pants and not have to get the bottom 6 inches cut off because the stores assume everyone is tall and even the "short" pants are too long....being short sucks!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't think this has anything to do with height. It sounds like it has more to do with self confidence. I've always been short, but believe me, I'll be damned if anyone would talk to me that way and get away with it.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    People are freaking rude.

I get all kinds of condescension for how I look. I'm small, blonde, and if I'm not dressed well I look about 16 years old (I'm 28.) People assume all kinds of horrible things about me, none of which are true.

Bottom line: I know how you feel. I developed a very assertive attitude with strangers as a result and I've found that it helps.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", have always looked a lot younger than my age, and no one - NO ONE has ever treated me like that. It's how you project yourself - I tend to project "Don't Eff With Me".
  • dutchesse
    Options
    As someone who is 5'0"--yes. I get this from my own friends all the time. "You're so tiny!", "Well, you're so small that..." so on and so forth. It's aggravating to be constantly told how small I am, as if I've never noticed this fact before.

NO, REALLY? AM I? I COULDN'T TELL BY THE FACT I WAS ECLIPSED BY EVERYONE ELSE. Thank you so much!

I get a lot of condescension thrown my way and it's aggravating. I fight back by typically either trying to be witty (key word: trying) or at least fighting back. I'm a fairly aggressive person to begin with so condescension doesn't stand for long with me.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I was mistaken for a middle school student when I was in my mid 30s. Mortifying.

I'm 5'8, I just look very very young and it does cause grief in my life due to people being disrespectful towards me because of the age they think I am. Especially the PTA nut jobs. My husband just thinks I should go along with them thinking I was 14 when I had my daughter.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4''. Studies do show that there is a lot of discrimination against shorter men. They can even break it down into how many thousands of dollars of g income each inch is worth for an average American male.

I'm 5'1” and dated a guy for awhile who was only 5'5”, max. I loved it. It was the best fit ever...physically, lol. He was so ridiculously good looking, too. Damn. I don't think his height ever factored into his success with dating. I bet short girls have zero problem with your height. And there are a lot of us around....just sayin' lol.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I have people who try to walk all over me. My husband being one of them. he is a Marine and likes to yell and talk down to people, so one day I stood on the bed and yelled at him "how do you like someone your own size yelling at you Biotch! Wanna be an *kitten*, say something!"

Sometimes I have to be very assertive, when working I have to dress very professional and ladylike if I wea rpants I think i look more kid like. But because i am very careful about how I conduct myself including how I speak, I always have people who feel i am older than I am but tell me I look very young.

Some people will try to wal all over you, but 50% of the blame is on how you assert yourself, including adult confrontations and how you speka back to them.