I only lost *3* pounds in August!!!!!!! Help!`

Options
So I've lost 23lbs so far, this is how:

June - Ate less, didn't workout, lost 12lbs

July - Ate 1200-1600 cals a day, logged on MFP, worked out 3-5 times a week, lost 8lbs

August - Ate 1200-1600 cals a day, logged on MFP, worked out 3-5 times a week, lost THREE pounds.

How is this even possible? I work so hard at preparing food, eating clean 90% of the time and my weight just stays the same or decreases a few ounces at a time.

I have 85lbs to lose, so why am I not even losing 2lbs per week? My diary is open, I log EVERYTHING I eat, so no cheating. I'm so frustrated!!!!

I was obviously most successful not working out and not counting calories, so why am I working so hard and seeing no results?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I am 6'2 and currently weigh 262. Thanks so much!
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    For your build, etc you might not be eating enough?

You're eating 1200-1600 cals a day and working out most days on a 6'2 200+lb frame....do you know your TDEE and BMR?
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    In my opinion, you are not eating enough calories per day. It might also help to have a small breakfast to kickstart your metabolism for the day - even just a cup of tea?

Also - what are your sodium levels like? You might be holding on to a lot of water - could be useful to track it.

Good luck
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    Here's a simple calculator- went through the calculations, and your TDEE if you're moderately active is around 3000 calories....which means you are definitely eating way too little to be properly fueling your body... Maybe at least try moving up to 2000 calories a day. You don't want to be so far under your TDEE...

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

decide how much you'd like to lose a week (say a pound), then each week, as a whole you should eat 3500 under your estimated TDEE....
  • Goonygugu
    Goonygugu Posts: 114
    Options
    your weight loss could be slowing down because you have started exercising a lot more. Your body tends to retain water for the first few weeks of training. this will change 0 but it will take about 2-5 weeks. Keep going and try up your water intake a little bit when you train.

Also take measurements! you may not be losing the wight but could well be losing the centimetres/inches.

Good luck and keep at it :-)
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    My TDEE is 3049.

I'm actually under the supervision of a doctor, who has rescheduled my appointment 4 times and whom I haven't seen since July 8th. He's the one who told me to eat 1400 calories. I've tried upping it to 1600, but don't get there very often.

Thank you SOOO much for any advice/help!!
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    3 pounds of fat ain't bad at all!!
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    I did take my measurements and in the past 3 weeks, I only dropped 5.5 inches from all over.

I did go down one size already, which is unusual for someone as tall as me. Usually it takes twice as much weight before I drop a size.

But only three darn pounds over 31 days is ridiculous. I see people on here losing 15 pounds in that same time who have less to lose than me. I don't get it.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to have to disagree with you that you are not losing weight.....you have lost 23 pounds in 3 months and even though your last month has been a "small" loss compared to the previous ones you have lost weight at a healthy rate.

In my experience (disclaimer....this is MY personal experience....your mileage may wary, but you may be experiencing something similar), weight loss does NOT necessarily happen in a linear fashion. My weight loss typically stalls out for a month or so (we are talking NO movement on the scale AT ALL) every 10-15 pounds. And then after having been static for a period of time it just picks up again without me doing anything differently.

So don't panic and don't change your setup unless your weight has been static for an extended period of time (and losing 3 pounds over e 4½ week period is NOT static). Remember that you probably didn't gain the weight you are trying to lose over night (or even over a year) - it might take just as long time to lose it as it took to put it on. Give your body time to adapt!
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As long a you're losing something then why worry? It's taken me over a year to lose 34 pounds and I started of at 220 pounds at 5 foot 1. In my opinion it's best to lose as slow as possible, unless you medically need to get it off fast, because the slower you go the more likely you will keep the weight off. Weight loss is not a race, it's about a lifestyle change and getting fitter and healthier. Just my two cents worth.
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    You two are both really very correct. I need to remind myself of this, but I work SO hard preparing my food and working out, it's so frustrating not seeing the scales move.

I just don't see how it's physically possible that I'm not losing weight if my TDEE is just about 3000 and I'm eating about 1500 cals a day AND working out. That's more than a 10,500 calorie deficit a week, so how does that translate to under 1lb a week?

I'm guessing the whole weight loss is not a science part? Wouldn't it eventually catch up with me?
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    wait what?? 6'2" not 5'2"?? (not a mis-print)??? lol.. just checkin..
    85 pounds to loose?? wow we have about the same goal wt but im 5'4" !!:indifferent:
    maybe... your body needs more cals or?? when you say 1200-1600 thats a big diff??!?!
    what is your cals set to?
    drinking enough water?? lots of reasons why.. im sorry though i'd be bummin too on 3#"s.. with working out too though
    u are also loosing INCHES im sure.. (clothes a lot looser and such)???
    i just ended my 6th wk on mfp and im down 15#'s total.. did the 1200 cal a day first mo and then switched to 1480 a day..
    oh and with your first mo yeah u lost the most cuz body shock/water wt loss too.. sine just starting mfp
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    LOL, yep, 6'2. My whole family is full of giants.

I officially log to 1600, but end up eating closer to 1400 and under. I try hard to get to 1600, but I find it VERY hard to eat breakfast and even lunch some days. I'm just simply not hungry. I'll start eating something and then feel sick about half way done and toss the rest. I'm afraid to up my calories, but I'm willing to try....
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Things that may influence what you see on the scales:

- What you eat / how much energy you spend
    - Water retention
    - Uncertainty on the scales (I weighed myself this morning 4 times got the results 81.0kg; 80.3kg; 80.7kg and 80.6kg)
    - Bowel movement
    - TOM (for you ladies out there)
    - Sleep patterns
    - Stress (work related or otherwise)
    - Illness (cold, flu, otherwise)
    - Changes in workout patterns
    - The list goes on

Weight loss IS science - the problem is that you can't control all the variables to degree which allows you to fully predict the outcome, so you have to rely on approximations and those are not accurate enough to serve as anything but a guide as to what to expect.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Psh, I WISH I had lost 3 this month!
  • matthewsq
    matthewsq Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    maybe because your stressing that your only losing 3 pounds? hahaha that would be a mess
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hmm try lower your carb intake well, not really... Try and only eat from GOOD carb sources such as veggies or potatoes like sweet potato etc.....

Cutting out the majority of breads really will amaze you I think.... I mean I've lost essentially 1.2kg this week... thats about 3 pounds since monday, I have been eating till I am full, snacking healthy etc.

Only change between this week and last? I've cut out breads and grains...
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    5.5 inches is significant! Don't fret so much over the pounds, they'll come. In fact, since it is driving you nuts, don't even weigh yourself. Just take your measurements once a week, and if the inches continue to disappear, don't step on a scale for three months.
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    Right now I eat 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein, so not as high in carbs as most on here and less than MFP suggests.

I actually struggle at the end of the day and some days, like today, have 80-100g carbs left at the end of the day.

I rarely eat bread or potatoes. Maybe once a week, so it's not that.

I just wonder if I should be eating more and if so, how much?
  • GRRobson
    GRRobson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what you think I believe you are doing really well and should feel proud of what you are achieving. Healthy weight loss is around 1 pound per week. So 3pounds in the last month is right on track. The big weight loss in your first month should not be indicative of a steady sustained weight loss program. You have decided to change your life style so eating a balanced healthy diet and regular exercise will lead you over time to a healthy body, it cannot fail. Some things you might want to check and you probably are is carbs/protein/fat. Depending on what you are doing a 40/30/30 ratio is good.

Good luck and well done!