Success without supplements (Your thoughts please)

Options
I've been buying the fitness magazine a few months now and I absolutely love it..
The only thing that puts me off, is the fact that there's almost not one person that had success without the use of supplements..
Well let me put it this way, everybody in that mag uses supplements.
They promote supplements allot!

Well I believe it's not necesarry to use supplements when you're following a healthy lifestyle, and then again I also do not have the money for it.

Could everyone please post what they think about supplements?
Aspecially people that had success without the use of any supplements, photo's are also welcome ;-)

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The human body is amazing, no supplements needed!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you eat, you don't need supplements to be successful. Those magazines make money on ads (primarily for supplements), so of course they will try to promote them. Just eat a healthy and varied diet and work out, and your body will figure out the rest.
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i total agree with you on the supplement, only supplements that i realy use is green tea, it help with my
    stomach thats it the rest is, natural
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont use any supplements, i get everything i need from a healthy and varied diet! i have lost the weight i want to and am currently working on reducing my bodyfat.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    what is success to you? i have lost 20kg and still going without any supplements, if that is success then yes its possible
  • robism
    robism Posts: 6
    Options
    Due to GMO foods and mineral depletion in the soil, the food grown today is full of empty calories. In order to get all the micro and macro nutrients needed for your body to perform efficiently you need to use supplements to fullfill your dietary requirments.
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    39 lbs down and no supplements. I am going to start taking a basic multivitamin though.
  • steph_1000
    Options
    Due to GMO foods and mineral depletion in the soil, the food grown today is full of empty calories. In order to get all the micro and macro nutrients needed for your body to perform efficiently you need to use supplements to fullfill your dietary requirments. Not only am I a nutritionalist, I also own a lab and a supplement company called Flawless Science. Feel free to look us up and allow us to help you reach your goals.

Think you're trying to promote your products? mmmm :smile:
  • ricwilliams
    Options
    the key is in the name

supplements are great when used along side a healthy diet. if people spent the same effort worrying about their diet as they do about supplements theyd see more progress. just dont rely on them
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    How many of the people being interviewed are professional bodybuilder or weightlifters as opposed to regular people? It is quite possible that they are being sponsored by the supplement companies, which is why the promotions. The only supplements I use are the ones I was told to by my doctor to address specific deficiencies.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a health mag will not be the best place to get your average response - all ads and promos!

I haven't taken supplements throughout my weight loss.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Due to GMO foods and mineral depletion in the soil, the food grown today is full of empty calories. In order to get all the micro and macro nutrients needed for your body to perform efficiently you need to use supplements to fullfill your dietary requirments. Not only am I a nutritionalist, I also own a lab and a supplement company called Flawless Science. Feel free to look us up and allow us to help you reach your goals.

Think you're trying to promote your products? mmmm :smile:
    That person is correct.... to a degree.

When dieting (trying to lose bodyfat) your body will be deficit in some vitamin and minerals.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I think nowadays it's not that easy not to lack most of essentials vitamins and minerals - or the ratio between amount of food to eat for providing all these make the use of sup. interesting. I'm thinking about iron, Vitamin B12, etc....

As for the "success without sup", what success is that ? Weight loss, sure, a deficit, no matter the quality of the diet does it.
    When it comes to health, not that much :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Those magazines just tell you that garbage to make money. Protein powders and stuff like that are really only good for two reasons:

Post workout whey protein gets absorbed and utilized by your muscles faster than whole foods. Other than that it's just a matter of convenience. Often times when people are at work or in a meeting it's much easier to drink a little protein shake than it is to make a tuna sandwich. I usually just stick to whole foods apart from post work out.

Hope this helps
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Supplement companies would not stay in business if they didn't promote and advertise their products.

However, I love supplements nonetheless. They are not necessary, but they help me a lot and I find them a major convenience for my 'on the go' lifestyle.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    what supplements are you referring to?

I take iron because I have thalassemia. Even if I ate red meat everyday I'd still struggle with my iron levels.

I take vitamin D occasionally as I've had low vitamin D levels in the past. My skin doesn't absorb vitamin D from the sun well.

I take magnesium after intense workouts.

I rarely touch protein shakes, I'm not a fan of them but there is the occasional time I have one.

And that's about it. I don't have a problem with supplements but they're just that, they're supplements. They're not replacements
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multi-vitamin and fish oil supplement a couple of months ago. I eat mostly unprocessed foods. A lot of fresh vegetables, at least one serving of fresh fruit, some kind of protein, at least a serving of dairy, and a serving of whole grain everyday. I rarely drink any beverage besides water. I have a lot to lose, and take these two supplements to help ensure that I am getting enough basic vitamins and minerals.
  • jlmorris1991
    Options
    I lost my first 30lbs without the use of supplements, with just cutting down on alcohol, crap food and increasing my exercise.

I now use Sci-Mx diet shake because although I'm still trying to lose weight (or cut fat), I want to maintain a reasonable amount of muscle because the new rugby season starts soon so I want high protein intake without too many extra calories. The shakes are also the best way I've (personally) found for controlling my hunger, but that's an entirely personal thing and I do think it's entirely possible to lose weight without any supplements at all.
  • steph_1000
    Options
    what supplements are you referring to?

I take iron because I have thalassemia. Even if I ate red meat everyday I'd still struggle with my iron levels.

I take vitamin D occasionally as I've had low vitamin D levels in the past. My skin doesn't absorb vitamin D from the sun well.

I take magnesium after intense workouts.

I rarely touch protein shakes, I'm not a fan of them but there is the occasional time I have one.

And that's about it. I don't have a problem with supplements but they're just that, they're supplements. They're not replacements

Referring to supplements like CLA, Phedra Cut, Metabolism boosters.
    Thanks everybody for sharing!! My boyfriend is joining me from next week on this weight loss, toning up process.
    He believes supplements is a big part of the process, because he has had success with it the previous time.
    Personally I think it maybe helped the weight loss to go a bit faster, but overall, it was the exercise and healthy eating that's the main thing.

Appreciate all for posting your thoughts ;-)
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well I started taking shakes after the gym and did this for about 2 months and found they did nothing for me other than the taste making me feel physically sick. I soon realised that a healthy diet along with multi vit everyday and plenty of water is all my body actually wants. Ive lost 2 stone so far so I think it does work :)