BMI

Options
djam98
djam98 Posts: 10 Member
My BMI is a little over 30 %. My target weight that I am suppose to be, I feel is impossible to achieve!:sad:
My heath is very good and I feel like I am in pretty good shape, but my BMI is high. However why doesn't this BMI calculation account for age?
I am 52 years old, I eat healthy, exercise regularly and do not smoke or drink.:smile:
Trying not to get discouraged.

Replies

• MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    BMI is a joke. Really. You should go to a gym and get your body fat percentage, not your BMI. BMI generalizes too much. I have a large frame and muscle to account for..my lean weight is 150! thats my weight with absolutely no fat on my frame! :noway: But BMI insists that I'm not normal untill I reach my lean weight! And by doing that I would be even more unhealthy than I am now, and possibly dead! So dont trust BMI and dont take it to heart if you're using it as a guide. i recommend having your body fat percentage measured, that's the most accurate.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get too upset about BMI. If you can, find a place that can give you your body fat percentage instead. That's typically a better benchmark for how you are doing. According to my BMI, I'm overweight and sometimes borderline obese! it doesn't take into account the fact that muscle is heavier than fat. In order to get to the range they would want me to be in, I'd have to lose muscle mass!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    First, the BMI isn't a percentage, it's just a number. :smile:
    2nd, it's very inaccurate for some folks. Set for yourself what you feel is a realistic and reasonable goal for YOU. And then worry about achieving that goal, not what some completely riduculous unscientific chart says. :wink:

My ultimate goal weight right now, leaves me in the "overweight" bmi category. I'm all but certain I'll be in FANTASTIC shape 72 pounds down. I start looking at my body now and I'm honestly not sure where those 72 pounds are even going to come from, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go & if I need to reasses my goal weight, so be it.
  • erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on body fat %, BMI, etc. Don't get frustrated by your BMI number, it really is a joke!!

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/calculatebodyfat.html
  • djam98
    Options
    Thanks a lot , I will def read that article. :flowerforyou:
  • djam98
    Options
    Thanks a lot, that makes me feel soo much better. That really concerns me that my doctor was going by the BMI percentage:angry: I appreciate the good words.:flowerforyou:
  • djam98
    Options
    Hey, thanks a lot that makes me feel soo much better. I am a little concerned because my doctor uses the BMI percentage, then she informed me that I was (like you said) borderline obese. :mad: I appreciate the info. :flowerforyou: