how do you relax?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
I have major anxiety and PTSD, i relax by going to the gym but sometimes when it all gets too much i just break down.
looking for another way to manage it, course i love the gym but have been going 4-5 hours some days to try make me feel better mentally. Burnt myself out something major...

Replies

• girlyathlete21
    girlyathlete21 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I work for the sheriff and I go every 2wks to get a massage... It is literally the only time I feel like I actually have quiet time to myself... No cell phone,no one to bother me, no thinking about what needs to be done around the house or anything else... Just me
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    buy the book, "don't sweat the small stuff"
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    bump
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    One of the things we do here at work after our Monday morning AR-meeting is we have a 20 minute meditation!!!! I absolutely LOVE it! I feel so much more revitalized and ready to get the good fight going with insurance companies! LOL!!!!

At home though, I enjoy the peace and quiet that comes from a really long hot shower. We have a unique shower-head that has LED lights. Ill turn off the main lights in the bathroom so the LED's show better. Its actually very calming (and conserves water usage too!).... Water therapy is a definite go-to for me.
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As hard as it can be, I make 30 minutes of time for myself every day... whether that be giving myself a mani pedi whilst blasting crappy 90s music, reading a book, having a glass of wine and a bubble bath... I try not to include this in with my workout time unless I'm running on my own in the park. 30 minutes of every single day are mine. No phone, no hubby... Just me!
  • rebeccafrasher
    Options
    My daughter suffers from anxiety. A soaking bath seems to help as does reading. Yoga may be something physical you could do but would provide a more soothing pace than actual aerobic or weight lifting exercise. Good luck, I know these disorders are hard on those who suffer from them.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have cup of tea and read and just watch some tv.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    A big mug of peppermint tea and some music
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Relax ?
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    being shut off from the world in my sauna with celtic/ gaelic music and candles, or being shut off from the world hiking in the dunes, or being shut off from the world frolicking(sp) through the woods. basically, do anything where you can be alone to sort through your emotions. try out new/ different things to find what works best for you! good luck!
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    Steamroom is a great place to relax... Especially on a quiet day at the pool
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I'd be too scared to go into a steam room, in swimmers and all? :L
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts
  • Tank_Girl
    Options

I love it... Just zone out and ignore anyone else In there... Its great for your skin
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I love it... Just zone out and ignore anyone else In there... Its great for your skin

I think you are forgetting the anxiety part, it's not quite that simple..
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So physical activity has a calming effect, anything else?

Fighting calms me down personally, so I do martial arts and contact sports and such. I don't think that helps you much.

Have you tried swimming? Other kinds of low impact cardio that don't have quite the same burnout rate?
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yoga!!

It's the absolute best for quieting your mind and learning to relax. A 60 minute practice a few times a week is ideal but even 45 minutes once a week will help. Find a good teacher and don't just do a "fitness" yoga class - ensure you're not skipping the final corpse pose at the end with a good 5-10 minutes of meditation.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have pretty terrible anxiety as well. I refuse to rely on medication to keep it under control. Aside from exercising, which works wonders, these are some of my go-to relaxation techniques:
    - yoga! for real, you should make this an everyday part of your life.
    - a cup of chamomile tea or kava tea
    - listening to relaxing music
    - massage
    - meditation
    - nature walks
    - hiking
    - cuddling
    - talking to a close friend or relative
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I require a lot of alone time and down time in order to be healthy. It sucks, actually, for a lot of reasons. But, I have always been that way. I am very active, but I just need my quiet time to recharge, and then I am good.

Quiet time doesn't have to be quiet, but it has to be fairly inactive, most of the time. So, just chilling in front of the TV is a good one. Reading. Going for a leisurely walk. A nap. Doing household chores is sometimes relaxing, laundry, cleaning in general, gardening. Going for a leisurely bike ride...sometimes I ride my bike to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Play my guitar. Listening to music. I don't know, I have a lot of things I do to chill.