thirty day shred

Options
so i actually did thirty day shred twice. meaning i did the dvd on two days, not thirty days straight twice. didn't love it.

but never once did i think "oh, this has to be done every day for thirty days." but i see people here all the time that do it every day. people ask questions and say "oh, is it okay to take a rest day? i've done it ten days in a row and i hurt."

is this dvd really meant to be done every day for thirty days? or is it just a purposely misleading title for people to think they will look like jillian micheals in thirty days?

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    so i actually did thirty day shred twice. meaning i did the dvd on two days, not thirty days straight twice. didn't love it.

but never once did i think "oh, this has to be done every day for thirty days." but i see people here all the time that do it every day. people ask questions and say "oh, is it okay to take a rest day? i've done it ten days in a row and i hurt."

is this dvd really meant to be done every day for thirty days? or is it just a purposely misleading title for people to think they will look like jillian micheals in thirty days?

37-and-a-half-day slightly fitter doesn't have the same ring to it methinks.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I loved it. That being said, I did not do it 30 days in a row because I'm not stupid. I also didn't expect to look like Jillian Michaels at the end because, once again, I'm not stupid.

I did it 5 to 6 days a week, spending 10 workout days on each level. 30 day shred is meant to be done with her other DVDs. No where is it promised that you will look like her once your 30 workout days are complete.

That being said, I've had awesome results. Noticeable toning in my arms, legs, back, shoulders, and core. Over 8 lbs lost and about 7 total inches.

If someone has a bunch of weight/fat to lose, the program isn't going to offer "OMG" results. It's designed for people that don't have much to lose, and it's a great intro workout to build up your stamina and strength. It's certainly not the end all be all of workout DVDs, and it doesn't work for everyone.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Only Jillian Michaels can look like Jillian micheals in 30 days.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I read an article where Jillian was quoted saying it was never intended to be done for thirty days straight. It was just a name the marketing team came up with.

ETA: I am pretty sure I only did the DVD twice as well.
  • chenoamac
    chenoamac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use her dvd's and love it too... I did not do the workout for 30 days . I have lots of weight to lose and I am finding it has helped me alot I now have toned arms and starting to get toned legs this is my workout of choice right now as I have two young kids and hubby works night so this works for me

I am currently using her extreme shred which I find is better than 30 day shred. This Dvd has kickboxing, weights, yoga and cardio
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just bought the 30D shred and it might take me two months to finish it, as I am way out of shape and my body is not very flexible. But everyday will get easier. I will work on it until I can completely finish day one, then I will move onto day two.

I never once thought I could finish it in 30 days, nor did I ever think I could look like Jillian in 30 days, nor do I think I will ever look like her...I am me.... and this is me doing my thing.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It is meant to be done for 30 days straight but I think it would definitely be up to each individual's fitness level..the rest day is up to each person. However, the workouts are so short that they are doable every day for 30 days.
    I personally found it too easy so I used Ripped in 30..definitely saw results with that one.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like it (just started this week) because it is short. 24 min is completely doable during a weekday. I use it and The Lotte Burke Method alternately M-F and then I do my hard Tony Horton on the weekends. Not sure that I could do it 30 days in a row. I'd punch my TV out of annoyance :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I only have a couple days left, but I took 1 day off a week just to let the muscles heal a little and when life got in the way. I had zero expectations at all, just wanted to get some exercise. I ended up having great results. Lost 2 dress sizes and really toned up. The circuit training style of exercise just really worked with me. For me, consistency is key, as is muscle confusion (with having the 3 different levels). Doing her Ripped in 30 DVD next, and I also plan to take off 1 day a week.

I definitely understand that Jillian and her workouts aren't for everyone! If you don't like it, just find something else you enjoy and do it consistently for the best results.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do it now. I am going to be on level 1 for 30 days, let alone the rest of it!
  • lisa27midd
    Options
    I just started the 30 DS, and do not have unrealistic expectations. I plan on using this in the morning to wake up, 5 days a week, and then continuing with my normal 30-90 minutes of light activity in the late afternoon/early evening. I don't think it is meant for 30 days straight. I just think their marketing team came up with a solid name for public consumption. I just think they want you to get used to a routine for at least 30 days, so you move onto her other DVD's or so you form a habit of working out.

With that said, I definitely feel changes coming and I am only on my second day. I enjoy this DVD and recommend it to people who are just starting to get into a healthier routine.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    2 days on, one day off, that's what I read.

When I first got her Extreme shed and shred, I did it a total of 6 times in a 2-week period and lost 3" off hips/waist total. I got quicker results. I did level 1&2 back to back like she recommends.
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I think the actual intention of the program, is 2 days on 1 off - with that said I have been doing the 30DS for 30 days now, not every day, about 4 days per week, 5 if I am feeling it. I plan to keep it going until Thanksgiving (I am in Canada so for about 6 more weeks) - my goal is to do the entire workout without taking anybreaks, doing any modified moves and to be able to do more than I am doing right now.

I look nothing like Jillian Michaels nor do I expect to in another 6 weeks - but I do look better and feel way better. To me the video is just part of the routine( I run on my off days - and will occasionally bike after the workout) and it helps me from losing interest, I fully plan to try another video of hers after this one. I have enjoyed it this far and love that I haven't lost my motivation.

:happy:
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I did it 29 days straight. Today is my 30th day. Did I think that if I didn't do it 30 days straight that Jillian would come to our house and kick our butts? No. But I did think that if I took a rest day, that could easily turn into 2 days, 3 weeks, etc. So we just kept going. Every day.

Did I expect to drop 20 lbs. Um no. Did I expect to look like Jillian? Um no. Do I expect that everyone has to do it exactly as I did? Um no.

It's an exercise video. One of many. It's not the only way and it's certainly not the only one out there.

When am I having a rest day? TOMORROW!! And then most likely we'll continue with the level 3 workouts 3x/week for a few more weeks. :smile:
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have mine on order, hoping it will arrive today. I wont be doing this over 30 days as im currently doing kettlebells and aerobics (im going to dothem all every week). I think its too much doing it 30 days straight. Id have a rest in between days if you want to do it more. With me having my 15 month old daughter i might not beable to do mine 7 days a week, maybe 3 days a week as i do other exercise too. I have another 14lb to loose so im mixing my workouts up abit so my body doesnt get used to one exercise :-)
    Good luck to you xx
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I loved it. That being said, I did not do it 30 days in a row because I'm not stupid. I also didn't expect to look like Jillian Michaels at the end because, once again, I'm not stupid.

I did it 5 to 6 days a week, spending 10 workout days on each level. 30 day shred is meant to be done with her other DVDs. No where is it promised that you will look like her once your 30 workout days are complete.

That being said, I've had awesome results. Noticeable toning in my arms, legs, back, shoulders, and core. Over 8 lbs lost and about 7 total inches.

If someone has a bunch of weight/fat to lose, the program isn't going to offer "OMG" results. It's designed for people that don't have much to lose, and it's a great intro workout to build up your stamina and strength. It's certainly not the end all be all of workout DVDs, and it doesn't work for everyone.

Yes but if you do have a lot of extra fluff to yourself it is awesome to tone areas you are struggling with. Like you said 30 day shred is meant to be done with her other dvds like 6 week six back and ripped in 30. I'm not finished yet but I have noticed such a difference. And taking a day or two off a week is the best ieda. You have to let your body recover at least one day out of the week.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    Someone posted here months ago a quote from Jillian. She says the routine is meant to go, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 2 days 30DS, 1 day cardio, 1 day rest. Repeat. 4 weeks worth.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    To me, because I own this dvd and almost all her newer dvds from the past 4 years, the 30DS is more a beginners' workout.
    It's just a catchy name and not meant to only take 30 days. She always suggests a rest day. Stay on each level till you're ready to progress.
    Wanna make it harder? Add weights! Add HEAVIER weights! haha

I like doing her dvds because I like her and I like what she has to say to push you. She's not just a trainer but a life coach. She's been fat, she's real and she's dealt with her own issues.

From a busy mom's point of view - her work outs work great for me for many reasons. The compound movements & the constant moving helps me get a good calorie burn in little time. Plus, my daughter can follow along so it's something we can do together which is very important for me. I don't need equipment besides hand weights and sometimes a chair or mat and it can be done in a small space.