Runners-when do you REFUEL and what type do you use?

Options
Adding miles every week to do my first half. Going for 10 this Sat. Got my hydration belt and wondered if and when I should incorporate a GU or some other type of fueling to get through the mileage or if I should save that for a full marathon?

Replies

• eiha
    eiha Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi,
    I did a 10 mile race last Saturday and didn't eat use anything just drank water at the water stations. I think for 10 miles there is no need to take anything. Just make sure you eat before the race, I ate about 2 hours previous to the race and had a granola bar when I finished and ate later. One tip to I found useful also, lets say the race is in the morning it would be advisable to go for a walk in the afternoon. We did that and felt the benefit of it the next day as we wern't as achy as we expected.
    The main thing is to enjoy it I enjoyed every second of the race, I hope you enjoy yours too!
    Hope this helps.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No extra fuel needed for a half marathon distance. Some people like a gel or something just to make them feel like there's more in the tank.

If you eat well leading up to the event you will have no probs.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I just use simple jelly belly jelly beans. I don't see any point in paying ridiculous money for essentially the same thing, and something that doesn't taste nearly as good. They are carb fuel, and it' works for me.. I eat about 100 cals every 5 miles or an hour.. I ran a half marathon, and all the training days leading up to it doing this and never ever hit the wall.
  • mamafish2313
    Options
    ok that sounds do-able. I don't know much about GU or anything- have you tried any of that?
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to be running for more than 90 minutes, I'll take something about 40 minutes into it. There are different theoretical schools of thought on how long you need to be running before refueling in needed - IMHO, this falls into the "you're an experiment of one" category. (Within boundaries). Nobody physically needs refueling if running less than an hour. Some are fine up to 2 hours. With experience you'll figure out where you fall in that category.

As far as what to use. I do tend to use gels because they are so convenient and easy to carry. GU and Clif are what I would usually get. Jelly Belly's are ok, but gels are quicker to ingest. When I did my two 50 mile races, I went with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (LOL!) Mentally they were just satisfying and I tend to have an iron stomach.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How long will the run take you? 10 miles... you may not need anything. Assuming you are properly hydrated/fed going into the run, most people don't actually need calories until at least the 60 minute mark, and generally not until 90 minutes in.

But to your question, it really comes down to knowing your body, which in your case is going to require some trial and error (i.e. going as long as you can without anything to figure out when you need something. Then, you have to figure out what your body likes best, liquid cals, gels, chews, etc).

Everyone responds differently, so you're just going to have to get something and try it. I'd start with whatever is easiest for you to get locally. No sense having to order something just to find out your body doesn't like it.

That said, if you need recommendations, I like heed for liquid cals and both rice crispy treats and clif shot gels for "food" cals.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    No extra fuel needed for a half marathon distance. Some people like a gel or something just to make them feel like there's more in the tank.

If you eat well leading up to the event you will have no probs.

Maybe, maybe not... depends how long the run takes her. If she's looking at 2.5 hours and a steady, decent pace, she may very well need something. If she's talking about 1.5 hours, then you may be right.

Distance isn't the determining factor... effort/intensity and time is.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I just use simple jelly belly jelly beans. I don't see any point in paying ridiculous money for essentially the same thing, and something that doesn't taste nearly as good. They are carb fuel, and it' works for me.. I eat about 100 cals every 5 miles or an hour.. I ran a half marathon, and all the training days leading up to it doing this and never ever hit the wall.

Not necessarily true. Yes, some "energy" products are simply sugars and carbs, but some are a lot more than that (electrolytes, caffeine, etc.). Those most definitely have an advantage over sugary foods.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I did 8 miles last sunday and had a little extra cereal for bkfast about 90 minutes before I went out and a little coconut water and then drank about a half gallon of water when I finished and had a chicken breast when I got home for protein other than that nothing different
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you are going to try anything-do it BEFORE your race, so you know if it agrees with you or not. I carry a Prolong Endurance drink mix in my water bottle-helped me tremendously. It has carbs-electrolytes and protein in it. Running my second half in October. Good luck to you.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    LOL! Great minds think alike...... and ours too. LOL! Wish you'd posted first - i could have simply posted 'what he said".
    How long will the run take you? 10 miles... you may not need anything. Assuming you are properly hydrated/fed going into the run, most people don't actually need calories until at least the 60 minute mark, and generally not until 90 minutes in.

But to your question, it really comes down to knowing your body, which in your case is going to require some trial and error (i.e. going as long as you can without anything to figure out when you need something. Then, you have to figure out what your body likes best, liquid cals, gels, chews, etc).

Everyone responds differently, so you're just going to have to get something and try it. I'd start with whatever is easiest for you to get locally. No sense having to order something just to find out your body doesn't like it.

That said, if you need recommendations, I like heed for liquid cals and both rice crispy treats and clif shot gels for "food" cals.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If I'm going to be running for more than 90 minutes, I'll take something about 40 minutes into it. There are different theoretical schools of thought on how long you need to be running before refueling in needed - IMHO, this falls into the "you're an experiment of one" category. (Within boundaries). Nobody physically needs refueling if running less than an hour. Some are fine up to 2 hours. With experience you'll figure out where you fall in that category.

As far as what to use. I do tend to use gels because they are so convenient and easy to carry. GU and Clif are what I would usually get. Jelly Belly's are ok, but gels are quicker to ingest. When I did my two 50 mile races, I went with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (LOL!) Mentally they were just satisfying and I tend to have an iron stomach.

lol... nice - I took PB&Js with me on the bike during my half ironman this summer.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

totally going to try this!
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, practice now with it and not on race day...never do anything differently on race day than you would on a training run. My favorite is peanut butter gu - I take one every 45 minutes, and my second choice is the cherry blossom honey stinger chews - I eat 3 pieces every 45 minutes. Typically in my hydration bottle I drink only water... then at the water stops I have a gatorade.

Good Luck!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I ran 10 miles that Sunday(in a downpour) and my fueling was this: 1 Gu 15 minutes before i started, 1 Gu at 45 minutes in. I run an out and back loop, so i carried a 16oz bottle of water that i dropped after 3.5 miles. That's it. I drink a whey protein shake afterwards, within 30 minutes. Ran at a 9:48 pace, 1:38 total time.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've used the Clif brand energy gel before out of curiosity. On my 11+ mile runs, I tried them at the half way point just to see. I enjoyed eating what tasted like chocolate frosting while on my run, but I don't know if it really improved my endurance. Perhaps it was just a 100 cal treat. Some people swear by it, but I can take it or leave it. Staying hydrated is more important, in my opinion. I struggle with that because I HATE carrying my hand held water. And I haven't popped for a belt yet. One of these days. :-)
    2617954 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also use jelly beans. A couple every 5km or so. I practiced with them on my weekly long run first. Now I bring some with me for any runs over 10km. Love the red ones!
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use something for 10 and up (training for my first 13.1 and ran a 13.1 a few weeks ago and now bouncing around on my long runs to maintain and taper. My pace is just under a 2-hour half) I had not done anything with fuel until about 3 weeks ago and bought GU and Sports Beans. I don't like the stronger GU -- Just Plain and Vanilla Bean work for me. TriBerry was too intense and I wanted to be ill. Sports Beans are great tasting but they end up all over the place and takes more attention to consume. I do find for me personally when I don't use a GU at the 6-mile mark I don't have that little kick on the last couple miles. If I do take some fuel, the last couple miles I am often ready to go run another 5 so it seems my body likes the extra energy.

My hydration, I've experimented with coconut water packs, nunn tablets and HEET. all work but I like the later two best.

Definitely a novice on all this so listen to the pros here if anything I say is contradictory to what they're saying. :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've done 9 half marathons, 2 half Ironman triathlons, and lots of inbetween races. I agree that you need to find what works for you. I found that I was really underfueling myself after talking to a tri coach. Of course, a half IM is a LOT longer than a half marathon. I've run half marathons w/ no fuel which I can do, but the recovery seems harder. I've been using Power Gels now instead of Gu. The electrolytes and sodium are really what you need, not just the carbohydrates. And refueling after is very important.

Just my opinion!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Gearing up for my first half next weekend. I eat a small meal a couple hours before a long run, one gu packet after an hour or so, and a second at hour two.

For me, I fade like crazy after seven miles if I don't fuel up.