Dexa Scan - London

Options
Flixie00
Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
I am considering getting a Dexa scan done as I understand that this is probably the best way of measuring body fat percentages. I live in London, England, and as I am unlikely to convince my doctor to let me have this done on the NHS, I will have to go private.

Has anyone in London or the South East of England had this done? if so, where did you have it done? and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

thanking you in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am considering one of these as well. There is a university about 1 1/2 hours away that does them fairly inexpensively ($40) as training for students, so I will probably do one in the fall. You might want to check the training college nearest you to see if they have the same thing.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was considering going to one of the bod pods at some point when I think I might be below 20% bf. There's one or two in London I think, possibly in the spa above Harrod's. I think it was around £100 on the website.
  • Flixie00
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I will do some research into the bod pods.

I got fed up with the readings on Boots the Chemist scales, they are all over the place but I really want to know what my body fat perdentage is.
  • hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dexa scan measures bone density not body fat, ou want a body pod or bio-electrical impedence.
  • Kirkajuice
    Options
    Found site:

http://www.bodpodlondon.com/

The one I was thinking of is the Ki Performance one, but you can see there are others as well, I'm not sure if they're anywhere else in the country but I'm not too far from London which is why I was looking there.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The Dexa Scan offered by the university was from the nutrition school and it can also measure body fat.
  • Flixie00
    Options
    Just checked out http://www.bcom.ac.uk/bcom-clinic/fitness-assessment. I will call on Monday to see if they just do the body pod test, but if not I may do the fitness test which includes the body pod and only costs £80 :-)
  • Kirkajuice
    Options
    Just checked out http://www.bcom.ac.uk/bcom-clinic/fitness-assessment. I will call on Monday to see if they just do the body pod test, but if not I may do the fitness test which includes the body pod and only costs £80 :-)

That looks more interesting than just the bod pod! Let me know how it goes :happy:
  • SamLynas
    Options
    Hi guys,

More information on the Bod Pod at Urban Retreat at Harrods is available here: http://www.kiperformance.co.uk/bodpod.aspx

Many thanks,

Sam
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    dexa scan measures bone density not body fat, ou want a body pod or bio-electrical impedence.

Incorrect, it can also measure body fat as well as bone density
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just emailed Kingston University as its where i went to uni and close to me! I'll post the result if they reply!
  • benjit_t
    benjit_t Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can get reasonably accurate readings by using calipers or a Tanita body fat scale. Why do you need such an accurate measure of your body fat anyway ? If you are concerned you aren't eating enough and are losing lean mass then a Tanita scale would be a better investment than a series of Dexascans. Plus, it's unlikely you are going to get accurate readings in Boots - there's too many variables like what you are wearing and how much food you have in your system. To get accurate body fat readings you need to take a series of measurements all taken at the same time of day (ideally when you wake up) and then averaged over a few days. If your lean mass or body fat is fluctuating any faster than that you have bigger problems.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just emailed Kingston University as its where i went to uni and close to me! I'll post the result if they reply!

They do it for about £30 I think. I was looking into it and then decided I couldn't be arsed ;)

Definitely a cheaper option than DEXA.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Google says;

Health and Wellbeing Assessments
    Gold Package - £60
    Includes body fat measurement (BodPod), blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol
    Silver Package - £54
    Includes body fat measurement (BodPod), blood glucose and cholesterol
    Bronze Package - £48
    Includes body fat measurement (BodPod);
  • luisalter
    Options
    DEXA can be used for bone density (which is what is mostly used for) but also can be set for full body composition analysis (and it is the most accurate way of measuring it). A study done by PronoKal (the company I work for) compared (using DEXA) the weight loss of 40 people doing a "hypo-caloric diet" vs 40 doing a "protein diet". It was interesting not only to compare the weight lost in each group over the same period of time, but also how much of that was fat and how much was lean mass... cool stuff :-)
  • carol_anne88
    Options
    DEXA scans CAN and DO measure body composition.

You can see a video of current methods to measure body composition - callipers, underwater, bod pod, electric impedence and DXA. http://www2.rgu.ac.uk/pharmacy/fatbodyslim/body-composition.html

Regarding getting measured in London Westminster University does BodPod for £45
    http://www.westminster.ac.uk/business/facilities-and-services/ready-made-services/fitness/bodpod
  • carol_anne88
    Options
    You can get BodPod for £40 at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine - contact Daphne Bird
    db@bcom.ac.uk
    Tel: 0207 472 5841
    London NW3
    * nearest tube is Finchley Rd

http://www.bcom.ac.uk/downloads/FitnessAssessment.pdf

========================

It costs £30 at London Metropolitan University - contact Simon Doff
    s.doff@londonmet.ac.uk
    Tel: 0207 133 2434
    London N7
    * Nearest tube is Holloway Rd

========================

It costs £45 at Westminster University

Dr Richard Mackenzie
    E: r.mackenzie
    @westminster.ac.uk
    T: +44 (0) 20 7911 5000 ext 64136

Jean-Pierre Ferraroli
    E: j.ferraroli01
    @westminster.ac.uk
    T: +44 (0) 20 7911 5000 ext 64414

===============================

Kingston University is too expensive, IMO
    South Bank university also offers fitness / body comp testing
  • AxelM81
    AxelM81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done a bodpod and basal metabolic rate test at Westminster University. Costs 110gbp together.
  • hansfog
    Options
    I had a dexa scan in Australia a couple of years ago which was great - quick, easy and accurate. When I got home I looked for a place back here in the UK to do the same and just found a new company that's started up to do these. Think they have a few sites around London area but look like they're growing. Their website is bodyscanuk.com and seems there are some deals to be had to get it around the £100-£110 level.