Honey or Sugar in my tea???

Options
So what is everyone's thoughts on this topic. Which would you use.....or what do you use?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I use honey. I like it better. I do use sugar in other things.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No difference.

Except unprocessed honey may have a few nutrients in it besides glucose and fructose (e.g. pollen grains, etc.).
  • rml_16
    Options
    No difference.

Except unprocessed honey may have a few nutrients in it besides glucose and fructose (e.g. pollen grains, etc.).

The taste is different.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    I've also heard that gram for gram honey is sweeter than sugar. So you might get more bang for your buck with honey. Plus, honey tastes better and local honey tastes best.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't sweeten tea and coffee usually, but when I do, I use raw, unprocessed honey (local is best but I live in the Arctic). Also, heavy cream or coconut oil/butter/cinnamon give an impression of sweetness (I use in coffee).
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    We use raw local honey in our herbal remedies for its anti-microbial, immune-boosting, healing properties. So that would be my choice. Do a Google search on the benefits of raw honey!
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options
    No difference.

The taste is different.
    True, the taste is different. Which is why my wife doesn't like any of the raw honey I buy.

I use to work for a beekeeper. I prefer the many varied flavors, especially Coastal Scrub, from early in the season when we had our hives along the Southern California coast.

I use raw honey in most of my cooking (e.g. whole wheat bread, grain milled right before cooking time).

I luv honey. But it will give you diabetes just like sucrose and high fructose corn syrup.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No difference.

The taste is different.
    True, the taste is different. Which is why my wife doesn't like any of the raw honey I buy.

I use to work for a beekeeper. I prefer the many varied flavors, especially Coastal Scrub, from early in the season when we had our hives along the Southern California coast.

I use raw honey in most of my cooking (e.g. whole wheat bread, grain milled right before cooking time).

I luv honey. But it will give you diabetes just like sucrose and high fructose corn syrup.

I haven't found a honey I don't like, but I don't like the taste of sugar in tea.

When I was in elementary school, we did a tour of a beekeeping place (whatever it's called!) and we got to eat raw honeycomb on crackers. Best thing I ever had.

What you eat isn't what causes diabetes.
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options
    [...] What you eat isn't what causes diabetes. [...]
    Ouch! People who believe the above statement may pay with their health and even lives (e.g. lost limbs, heart attack, stroke, cancer, etc.)

Research it yourself folks. Don't let ignorance hurt you.

True. Type 1 diabetes is hereditary. Type 2, not so much.

P.S.-A "bee keeping place" is called an aviary.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Ouch! People who believe the above statement may pay with their health and even lives (e.g. lost limbs, heart attack, stroke, cancer, etc.)

I guess doctors are ignorant and haven't researched it themselves.

*sigh*
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would think honey. I use stevia
  • vqnerdballs
    Options
    It honestly depends on the tea I'm drinking -- I tend to use sugar and milk when I'm drinking black tea, but everything else I go with honey and lemon if it's not sweet enough on its own. Oftentimes the box of tea will give you tips on what tastes good with which blend!
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options

I guess doctors are ignorant and haven't researched it themselves.

*sigh*

My father is a retired doctor, and says he wishes they would have taught nutrition when he went to med school. He is type 2.
    My sister is a nurse. She is borderline diabetic and is sorry she ate the typical American diet (obese too).
    My brother is a Medic....and is watching his intake of sugars to try to avoid type 2.
    I have a degree in Zoology which included upper division coursework in cellular physiology (Krebs cycle, glucose shunt etc.).

Don't take my word for it. Research it yourself.