Can you bake sirloin steak?

Options
I have three juicy steaks marinating today. I'd like to bake them since my boyfriend won't be home until late and he's the grill master! Can I do this? Help!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have three juicy steaks marinating today. I'd like to bake them since my boyfriend won't be home until late and he's the grill master! Can I do this? Help!

If you're not going to grill them, it's best to either fry them on top of the stove or broil them (depending on thickness, 6-8 minutes per side).
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have done this...Rub with some garlic and pepper and it's pretty yummy.

Or try your hand at the grill if you're feeling adventurous. :)
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    If you're not going to grill them, it's best to either fry them on top of the stove or broil them (depending on thickness, 6-8 minutes per side).

^ This. I think they'd probably come out really chewy/rubbery if you tried to bake them

ETA: George Foreman those suckers
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Blaspheme!!!

J/k, I don't see why not. At its essence a steak is little more than a roast.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Don't bake them, they will be ruined! Use the broiler, place the rack 4 inches from the burners and just cook the way you'd grill them. They should turn out fine. Look online to see how long to broil each side for whatever doneness you prefer.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I do this all the time in the winter. In a baking pan, put down a layer of sliced onion, lay the siloin steaks on top with all the marinade poured over, then cover with sliced mushroom. Bake at 325 for a half hour or so. The low temp, marinading and moisture from the marinade and veggies help keep them from getting tough.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Please don't. This is how my mother cooked steak always too tough to chew and wellllllll donr. Ick.

Cook them in a skillet on the stove about medium heat. On my stove takes about 8 minutes each side for a medium steak but that will vary by stove. You can add some onions garlic or mushrooms to the pan too yum.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can bake them. But you'll probably get better results on the broiler setting because it will carmelize the outside better.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I bake my steaks all the time - sear them in an oven safe pan (about 2 minutes each side) and then pour some beef stock in the pan. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. Makes them very tender & juicy! I did this with chuck steak (a very, very cheap cut) over the weekend and you could cut the steak with a butter knife.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    trick toa good steak is to sear it on each side at a very, very high heat for 60-90 seconds, then set it on a plate to rest under loose foil for 10 minutes.

nice and red in the middle. Mmmmm.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cast iron pan? Sear both sides in the pan, then shove the whole business in the oven :-)
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I do this all the time in the winter. In a baking pan, put down a layer of sliced onion, lay the siloin steaks on top with all the marinade poured over, then cover with sliced mushroom. Bake at 325 for a half hour or so. The low temp, marinading and moisture from the marinade and veggies help keep them from getting tough.

This is about the only way I can see it working out, though unlike most roasts, sirloin is very low on fat, so it may be a bit drier than your average roast.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes you can but you need to pan-sear them first. they do this in restaurants all the time.
    Set you oven for 400, use a pan that can go in to the oven.
    Get the pan smoking hot on the stove top and place your marinaded/rubbed/seasoned steaks in it and sear the first side until you have a nice crust, if they are in marinade be sure to blot them dry. If you have the pan hot enough it should only take a few minutes to sear the first side. Then flip the steaks and put the pan in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Be careful when you bring them out as the handle will be screaming hot! Thinner steaks need less time - thicker steaks may need a bit more time. It all depends n how "rare" you like them. Be aware they will continue to cook in the hot pan once you bring them out so move them to a dish or tray to rest

This works well for london broil and boneless turkey or chicken breasts.

I do it all the time when I'm cooking in bulk.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Personally, I would preheat a cast iron skillet in a pretty hot oven. When I added the steaks I'd switch it over to broil. You should get a nice sear on each side this way. Should be fine. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would preheat a cast iron skillet in a pretty hot oven. When I added the steaks I'd switch it over to broil. You should get a nice sear on each side this way. Should be fine. Good luck!

Good way to start a fire in your oven.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    YOU SHOULD TRY IT! My bf was the grill master too....until we took a break and if I wanted to grill I had to do it myself. Turns out....I'm better at it. I will never tell him and I will deny it to the death if anyone else does because it is one of the few things he will do without complaint (grill an entire dinner) but I know for a fact, mine is better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You can "bake" anything. Now texture and tasting good, that's a different story.

I always grill steak.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    **** presentation...if you have to poke that steak full of holes while grilling to make sure you grill it right, that's what I'd prefer.

just one man's opinion.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cast iron pan? Sear both sides in the pan, then shove the whole business in the oven :-)

Winner, that's my favorite way if I don't have a BBQ. sear for 1minute per side and then put the pan in the oven on broil(500 degrees) for 4-6 minutes per side. All depends on thickness and how you like your steak!