• ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :love: This is AWESOME!!! :love:

Read at work and almost teared up.

Great post!!!
  • jessielynnmn
    Options
    That was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. It makes me want to lace up now!
  • tedinger4given
    tedinger4given Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is amazing
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow... made me very teary! :heart:
  • badlydrawnperson
    badlydrawnperson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ace post thank you for sharing - it made me teary too. So many of us are self-conscious and it's hard to put yourself out there when you're used to doing everything you can to not draw attention to yourself. I still tense up every time I have to go past people when I'm out running, although I have now progressed to being willing to run in daylight... just! :-)
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    i hope this is a true story :) even if it is not, i hope that it is what we all feel when we see someone new to the gym or the sidewalks, and i hope this is what people feel/felt about us as we all got started!

I wasn't the "fat girl" at this time, but in HS, i was deifnitely out of shape. I was self conscious, terrible at sports, and very very shy. Gym class was my worst nightmare every day. I remember in 9th grade, we had to run a mile on the track every day for gym before we started whatever lesson we were on. And I remember I hated it because I was so slow and it was so embarrassing; I just wanted to disappear. This girl in my class who was on the track team and ran cross country, I remember her running up next to me one day and saying "come on, run with me. I know you can do it!" And she ran with me that day. She pushed me to go faster than I thought I was able, but she slowed down for me (obviously since she was a distance runner she could have out paced me in second), ran with me and encouraged me to push myself. When I finished, I'd finished the mile the fasted I'd ever run it up to that point and I remember she congradulated me and told me "see! I knew you could do it!" We didn't be come bestest friends in the whole world or anything like that, and I was still shy and insecure and gym class was still terrifying, but she absolutely made my semester, and I'll never forget that she did that for me. It boosted my confidence and got me into running recreationally in HS, and now that I've gotten back into it almost 10 years later, I remember it every day when I go for a run and start to feel self conscious. People who are already athletic and in shape--you have no idea what a difference in someone's life you can make just by smiling at them from across the track, or giving them a thumbs up, telling them good job, or even just running with them. Sometimes for them, it can mean the difference between deciding it's the last day they're going to bother doing this, and pushing on to a healthier life.

I had a scenario similar to yours with running the mile in gym class. For several years I would just walk it with my usual core group of friends and we all had terrible times. But watching my other classmates run by like the breeze got me motivated and I wanted to do more. So i did stints of running and walking and my friend Amelia who was quite athletic (and diabetic!) stayed my by side and that year I finished it in my fastest time!

That blog post made me tear up as well. Because that's exactly how I felt trying to go to the gym for the first time alone. Hoped I wouldn't be noticed and that people weren't thinking badly of my weight. But Ive been going to the gym now for over a month, my endurance is building and I can really get a pace going on the treadmill or elliptical that I hope would make any passerby proud. I find its tough to make friends at the gym as everyone is internally focused on their workout and the ear buds come out, music starts to play and they start moving to the beat. I am proud to be like that now that I have instilled in myself that fire that keeps me pushing harder.

Much love and hugs to all the "fat girls" like myself out there that are starting their journey for a better life. :flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:
  • mebohan
    mebohan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Iv'e read this before on Mfp and it made me teary eyed both times. I see 'the fat girl' on my runs sometimes and she never makes eye contact, keeps her head down and keeps going... I am in awe of her.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Encouraging post! so glad to see it motivating others. I was a kid in jr. high when the song RESPECT by Aretha Franklin was a top hit (shows my age!). We did our gym exercises to that song. I do believe that I learned to "respect yourself" in the gym. Weight does have a tendency to bring judgement from others but praise God! there remains a lot of GOOD people out there.
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! i wish every overweight person that feels this way would read this.....this is just what they need to hear.
    ty for sharing!!

I don't believe this post should be specific to 'overweight' people. This post has a much deeper meaning that applies to *everyone*.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST THATS SOUNDS LIKE ME PUSHING MY SELF BREATHING HARD THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for posting :bigsmile:
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This gave me goose bumps! What agreat story! thanks for sharing it.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ok this about made me cry... because I am that fat girl. I don't alway hold my head high and it wasn't until I found Jazzercise that I really started feeling those changes and seeing people be inspired by me.

It's hard when you put all the effort in and feel that people are still "Judging" you. But there comes a point where you need to not care about what others think and just do it! because when you do, things like this happen. People become inspired by you and you make progress for yourself.

Cheers! and here's to becoming better human beings to each other!:flowerforyou:
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just beautiful and well written. This makes me change my mind about running in my neighborhood. I sometimes take my dog for a jog and will stop and walk when I see a car coming or people walking, then start jogging again when the coast is clear.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm lost for words. This is incredible and so true.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    tears.... thanks :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!