advice on what i'm doing wrong

Options
I know this has been posted a bazillion times, but I am ready to give up.
I stand 5'7" and currently weigh 212. I want to get down to 140.
some weeks I lose two pounds, and then other weeks and for two or three after that, I lose nothing. I stay under/near my calories every day, and work out 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week. Walking/ running, whatever brings a sweat.

So I'm fed up because it doesn't seem to be working. Im tired of these weeks where i lose nothing, though i am doing everything right ( i think).
how do you know the correct amount of calories to eat. IMO, the tool on here isn't helpful, because I have a hard time estimating my activity level. I'm a stay at home mom, doing laundry and cleaning and chasing a 3 yr old. my husband seems to think i am underestimating my caloric needs.
According to Joy Bauer's book I should be eating 2000 calories a day to lose weight.
how do i know which is right?

Replies

• Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Are you under alot of stress? If so, try Yoga. I'm currently doing Biggest Loser Weightloss Yoga (its for beginners) and is easier than you'd think. I can feel my arms and legs working and after all the stress I have at work, I look forward to it because while I am stretching and breathing...I'm burning fat. I feel sooooo good after I'm done...like I just got out of a hot tub or something. I am wondering why I've never tried Yoga before!!!

Good luck
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Not sure your age, but based on your current weight and height, you burn a little over 1600 calories a day just from normal activity. A pound is 3500 calories, so to lose 1 pound a week, you have to drop 500 calories a day. Typically to maintain weight, a woman needs 2000 calories. I would think for you to lose weight, you would need to consume just around the 1600 level. I am eating under 1400 calories a day in an effort to lose 40 pounds. My first 2 weeks were very successful, but I too am seeing the weight loss taper off. It does get rather distressing when you feel like you are doing everything right, but the weight clings on. I would just suggest you drop your caloric intake for a week or two and see if that makes a difference. Hang in there!

361266.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    One pound equals 3500 calorie deficit. So you either have to burn 3500 cals/week, or decrease diet by that as well. I thought the 2000 cals is what a normal person eats, and if you want to lose a pound a week, you have to lower that by 500 cals. I would say you would want to eat around 1400-1500 calories, but then don't forget about your exercise cals. I try not to eat all of mine but at least 1/2.

I trust the site in there calculations in what I am suppose to eat, I am also a stay at home mom, and I just put my level as sedetary. My thought is anything extra burned there is a bonus. I always take measurements, the scale didn't move for me in weeks, but I was working out lots and was losing inches.
    I always have a day (saturdays) where I eat whatever and don't count, I feel the body needs days like that to stay in check.
    This is all just my opinion, but hope it helps some.

Keep at it, I am sure you will get there.
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    are you logging in and eating your exercise calories?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Why don't you play around with your calories to see what works for you? Decrease them for a month see what happens. Increase them for a month, see what happens, etc. Or, set your activity level to "sedentary" and log your cleaning as exercise. Why don't you set your food diary to public so we can take a look at what you're eating to give you some tips? Change up your exercise -- the body adjusts to exercise you've been doing for a long time to become more effiecient at it (which means you burn less doing it).

And what do you mean "give up?" This is a lifestyle change. You shouldn't be doing anything you can't keep up for the rest of your life. It's not like you can just "diet" and lose 70 pounds and then go right back to being lazy and eating whatever you ate that made you overweight in the first place. Right?

I don't get it.
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you should eat typically...but I've always been told to follow a 1200 calorie diet. In fact, with MFP, I'm only alotted 1240 calories. I would incorporate some strength training in your workouts...you might have hit a plauteau because you need to change what your muscles are already used to. I've heard the strength training helps along with the cardio.

Just try to keep positive. It's easier to lose the first week than the rest. You can do it! You've just gotta shake it up a bit! :)
  • nolan_84
    Options
    I'd suggest throwing in 2 days of some kind of strength training with weights. Muscle burns fat. I know a lot of women think that they are gonna get bulky, but 99% of women don't make enough testosterone to do that. Cardio is great, it burns calories and helps your heart but that's pretty much where it ends. You should add 2 days of weight training to your 5 days of cardio and yes, you can do both on the same day... usually lifting weights comes first. And you don't have to spend a lot of time doing it... 15 to 20 minutes of the right exercises will be sufficient. Also instead of doing the standard 30 minutes at the same pace during cardio, try doing intervals. I'm sure you can find everything you need online... hope this helps. Just keep in mind, it's a lifelong, lifestyle change, not just a fad diet lasting only until you reach a goal weight or give up. Just go day by day... and go by how you feel too, not just the scale.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest throwing in 2 days of some kind of strength training with weights. Muscle burns fat. I know a lot of women think that they are gonna get bulky, but 99% of women don't make enough testosterone to do that. Cardio is great, it burns calories and helps your heart but that's pretty much where it ends. You should add 2 days of weight training to your 5 days of cardio and yes, you can do both on the same day... usually lifting weights comes first. And you don't have to spend a lot of time doing it... 15 to 20 minutes of the right exercises will be sufficient. Also instead of doing the standard 30 minutes at the same pace during cardio, try doing intervals. I'm sure you can find everything you need online... hope this helps. Just keep in mind, it's a lifelong, lifestyle change, not just a fad diet lasting only until you reach a goal weight or give up. Just go day by day... and go by who you feel too, not just the scale.

GREAT IDEA. That is so true.
  • nogaks
    nogaks Posts: 5
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are sounding so discouraged! I think you are awesome for getting motivated to do this - since you are running after your son, do you put your work as the not-sedentary choice?

Also, maybe you are gaining some muscle weight on those weeks where the scale tips up a little? I try to measure my progress - I lost 3 lbs total in the past few weeks (I have been working out for a month or so but just started tracking food and eating healthy when I signed onto here). I didn't really believe the scales, because they can discourage you by not giving you a true measure of how your fat/muscle ratios have changed. I only really believed the scales once I realized that I fit back into some slacks that were previously too tight.

I would start paying close attention to how your clothes fit (of course, it is easier to measure how you fit into structured clothes, jeans, slacks, button downs, etc.), or even measuring yourself at key body points- there is an option on here to track that too!

Everyone's weight varies from time of day, or day to day - try weighing yourself at the same-ish time everyday. I seriously have a weight difference of 3 pounds from day to night, so I also don't really believe I've lost (or gained, haha) until I have several same-time-of-day weights that are different!

As far as caloric intake, I have found this tool is a great measure of how much you should eat - yes, the tool is sometimes tough to track the exercise - they don't tell me how much my Pilates burns, so I had to go to a calorie counter. I'll try to find the one that a gal posted on here in a diff discussion.

I hope this encourages you!
  • nogaks
    nogaks Posts: 5
    Options
    Here is my favorite calorie counter for the activities not listed in the "cardio" section.

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/Pilates/result?weightPounds=132&duration=60&activity=&met=4.9&submit=
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple heated debates with a few friends about caloric intake.
    The information you need is posted above. It's truth!

A friend of mine argued with me that her weight required her to eat 2,000 a day to shed the weight. Well, in fact, she started gaining after a while. She was not burning enough to offset that large intake. she would have to work out for at least 2 hours to get where she needed to be.

I am just a few pounds below you, my caloric intake is 1200 a day. 3.3liters of water as well. Drink your water, it will curve your hunger. Goal is to be negative due to working out.

Kids and laundry does burn calories, and I mean no disrespect at all. But if household chores were enough to stay fit, many people, including myself would be size 7's by now! lol It's just not enough.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    Why don't you play around with your calories to see what works for you? Decrease them for a month see what happens. Increase them for a month, see what happens, etc. Or, set your activity level to "sedentary" and log your cleaning as exercise. Why don't you set your food diary to public so we can take a look at what you're eating to give you some tips? Change up your exercise -- the body adjusts to exercise you've been doing for a long time to become more effiecient at it (which means you burn less doing it).

And what do you mean "give up?" This is a lifestyle change. You shouldn't be doing anything you can't keep up for the rest of your life. It's not like you can just "diet" and lose 70 pounds and then go right back to being lazy and eating whatever you ate that made you overweight in the first place. Right?

Yeah, give up is kinda misleading. I am happy about the lifestyle change, and no i dont plan on going back to being lazy....
    i mean giving up on hoping the scale will go down. maybe i should just be a healthy fatty the rest of my life.

I don't get it.
  • cds2327
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to drop my caloric intake and see what happens.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    look at your foods, what is your sugar intake and your sodium intake? that can effect things too. Are you getting enough Protein? Too much carbs? you may be in your calorie goal, but the rest could be out of whack .

I agree about the housecleaning and chasing after kids , its not what I would call calorie burning exercise. I gained much of my weight by doing that .
    You need to get your heartrate UP and keep it up for AT LEAST 30 mins to really burn some calories. 5 times a week I say. And the 30 mins should be the least that you do.
    also yes, you need to get some weight training in. the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just doing nothing! :drinker:
  • cds2327
    Options
    unfortunately all my sugar/sodium and other stuff is in the range MFP recommends.
    and I do try to keep my HR up most days by walking/running on the treadmill.
    just going to keep on, and lower my calories to see what happens.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    unfortunately all my sugar/sodium and other stuff is in the range MFP recommends.
    and I do try to keep my HR up most days by walking/running on the treadmill.
    just going to keep on, and lower my calories to see what happens.
    I have had to in the past UP my calories for a week or two to start losing again. It sucks that it isn't just as easy as lower your calories move more, and you lose weight. Your body could be use to doing what u have been doing and its time to shake it up! Good luck!