Thrift Store Shopping!

Options
13»

Replies

• HashtagTraci
    Options
    love thrift stores!!! yard sales & estate sales too :)
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are the only place I shop until I get to my goal weight. I just don't see the need to spend 100's of dollars on clothes that won't fit in a month and a half.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores, you never know what you will find! last week I literally spent 4 hours in a goodwill when they were having a dollar day :smile:
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thrift shop addict here!!
    Once a month my teenage daughters and I raid the thrift shops and always come home with loads of bargains.
    It's a good way of recycling our old clothes too. :smile:
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Bought my first pressure cooker from a thrift store!
    I remember the day well..

It was a crisp cool October day, the sun was out
    and I was wearing a pair of shorts. I remember this
    because I always wear shorts. Anyway, we walked
    in to the thrift store, and walked up and down every
    isle. Just when I thought all was lost, with nothing
    worth buying, I looked down and there she was....
    A 10 PSI, 4.5 quart pressure cooker brand spanking
    new, still in the original box! Well, I opened the box,
    called my Dad and asked what I should look for.
    He was asking me if it had the seal, grate, jiggler,
    etc. Sure enough it was all there, and still in the
    original plastic! He wanted to know how much it
    was, and I said $10 bucks. He told me to snag
    that thing and don't look back. It must have been
    a pretty sweet deal, for him to tell me to shell out
    that kind of cash on a cooking pot. Anyway, I used
    it a few times and quickly realized I needed something
    much bigger. That's when I hit up ebay, and got a 15 PSI
    8 quart pressure cooker. Now I'm making beef stew,
    fresh beets, pulled pork, chicken stew, corned beef
    and cabbbage, etc. Good times....

Then there was that one time I picked up a Technics turn
    table for $6 bucks, and a bunch of albums for a buck a piece.........

Thrift stores are cool.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Being a guy you wouldn't think we would love thrift stores but I do and I search them out. I have bought some great deals at thrift stores, I bought a mixer, blender, chopper, crusher, and everything else you can think of called a food center for 12.00 it was all there and works great...I just love everything about it.
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    LOOVE thrift stores!!! Good Will, Salvation Army, Plato's Closet, garage/yard sales... love them all! Gotta have patience to hunt for the deals but it can be so rewarding! Some of my favorite items of clothes came from thrift stores (not to mention most of my golf clubs! huzzah!)
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Love! 95% of my clothes have come from thrift shops during my weight loss journey, and now I'm hooked.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    One of my obsessions!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Wife is big into it, lots of grandkid toys, clothes for them and her, we even have some dishes we use every day. Even I have found a few clothes and books.
  • Dreamer058
    Options
    Use to go all the time. Lately not enough time but I need to go. I love saving money. I love getting deals!!
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have found some of the BEST clothes at thrift stores...especially skirts.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    love love love thrift stores! I am on a creative spree, and love looking for vintage furniture that I can refinish! ... pinterest will be the death of me!! haha
  • 4boysandme
    Options
    I LOVE Thrift stores and garage sales. I have people tell me they would never shop at the Goodwill....good just more for me!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No thanks. No time to look thru all that crap.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    More time to score bargains in the thrift shops than your local big box store with stuff that will fall apart / wear through in a month or two.

I enjoy a good thrift store, just know your prices on stuff, I've gone in one before and seen a bike for $125 that I owned 4 years before which was new at $95 :P
    Some discard things like mason jars as soon as they arrive, others put them out $0.25 a jar beats the heck out of $1 a jar new and sometimes you'll get ones that people sell at $8 + on a per jar basis :P
    Salvation army has great book prices, they put on $0.10 book days quite often, but then you get places like Value Village that charge 50% of the sticker price on the books, I gave up the book section at VV because of it.
    Always check the "bags" of various items, you can score things like a whisk, can opener, bottle opener, pizza slicer etc for $1 or $2 instead of that or more on a per piece basis.
  • michellevine1
    michellevine1 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I LOVE thrift stores and consignment stores and garage sales, even. Last summer I got a brand new pair of dark brown suede flats for $2.00. They still had the price tag on them - $79.99!!!! I recently scored a gorgeous trench coat and a leather jacket for $15.00 a peice.

Also, if your size is really changing this is a great way to keep your warddrobe in step with your new size and not break the bank. (You're usually supporting a charity as well.)

Totally agree w/you! When your size keeps changing its SO much easier to shop for bargains and not break the bank. Supporting a charity or a local family trying to raise some $ via a yard sale - nice all the way around!
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Love it!! I will spend hours there!

I've never even thought to look at kitchen gadgets and appliances, I'll have to do that next time I'm in there.