Any other EX-Jehovah's Witnesses on MFP?

Options

Replies

• lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If so, drop a line and/or add me =)

I am
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do you REALLY want to know?
    I will be happy to give an HONEST explination if you really are interested....

I'd like to know.

My best friend in elementary/middle school was a Jehovah's Witness, and I could never understand why she wasn't allowed to come to my house to play, or to do ANYTHING. She was so sheltered. We got to go to each other's houses exactly ONCE, both times because we were partners in school projects. As a kid, it freaked me out that her parents wouldn't take her or her brother to a hospital if they needed some sort of treatment. Actually, that still kind of freaks me out.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    Which happens in alot of diffrent religions. I do agree they are ridiculous and can be hyprocrites but a majority of them are just normal people who have faith in their religion and would go to the end of the earth for a complete stranger. My mother is one of those people. I chose to NOT follow the religion. It just wasn't for me. Not because they are bad people.
    [/quote]

^^ This exactly
  • dosmundos
    Options
    What I want to know is what's the big NO NO on organized sports, and birthdays? I remeber a girl I grew up with wasn't allowed to eat birthday cake, or play organized sports. Actually, she wasnt allowed to come to my birthday party either.

I am curious too. What means dis - fellowshipped? I mean can someone tell people not to come anymore?

Don't kick me - just curious.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lol my door bell does not work at my house and I have a gate about 5 ft before the front door.

I always lol when I hear them standing out there trying to ring my doorbell, so much better now that they cant get to my front door and knock or peek in a window to see if Im home.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    cult  

/kəlt/Noun: A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.Synonymsworship - religion - adoration

So its a large well organized cult ;)

I don't believe they fall into the category of "sinister". There are some very very good people. Some are hypocites and alot aren't. Just like any other religion.

You didn't know the elders in my congregation...a lot of shady shizzle happened and it was covered up....

Which happens in alot of diffrent religions. I do agree they are ridiculous and can be hyprocrites but a majority of them are just normal people who have faith in their religion and would go to the end of the earth for a complete stranger. My mother is one of those people. I chose to NOT follow the religion. It just wasn't for me. Not because they are bad people.

A family that lives next door to my BF are JH. The mother is the most sweet woman in the world!!! every holiday ( which is slightly strange since I didnt think they celebrated them all ) she leaves baked goodies on the door step, or send her kids over with them. Yeah, she brought over a bible one day. it is still sitting in the garage since we felt horrible throwing it away.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif

love this
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    What I want to know is what's the big NO NO on organized sports, and birthdays? I remeber a girl I grew up with wasn't allowed to eat birthday cake, or play organized sports. Actually, she wasnt allowed to come to my birthday party either.

brthdays was because a king (cant remember the name) wanted john the baptists head on a platter for hs birthday, therefore its not good to celebrate that. Organized sports not sure, bad association usually was why I couldn't do ANYTHING
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Jehovah Witness but my boyfriend is. But since he's been with me ( 7 years) he hasn't gone. He said if he went for one he would be disfellowshiped for living with me and for me not being a Jehovah Witness. I am the preacher's daughter of a Baptist Minister and I truly believe that Baptist is for me. I wouldn't push it on anyone but where I go to church we welcome anyone and your lifestyle is yours and you won't be punished by someone ( ie church members). God will take care of what he sees fit.

But as for Jehovah Witnesses, from what i've heard and seen. I'm very skeptical. But that's just my opinion. :wink:
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

I want to know, never even heard of this. Never knew any Jehovah's Witnesses I guess. But very curious as to why they are not allowed to play sports or celebrate their birthday
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    Lol my door bell does not work at my house and I have a gate about 5 ft before the front door.

I always lol when I hear them standing out there trying to ring my doorbell, so much better now that they cant get to my front door and knock or peek in a window to see if Im home.

I hated going door to door and would pretend to ring the bell.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

I am curious too. What means dis - fellowshipped? I mean can someone tell people not to come anymore?

disfellowshipped is if a jehovah's witness who is baptized turns away from the religion or does somethng bad and the elders take them aside and thats how its done. one that happens your not allowed to speak to them until the decide the wat to come back
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

well, if you have the non google or wikepedia answer I would love to know. Looks like becasue they believe them to have pagan origins?
    OK… Non google answer from a current (16 yrs and counting) Witness.
    1: Organized sports: There is no “ban” on organized sports. Some parents will keep the kids out of sports because of what we consider “Worldly association” and the mere fact that the time many sports demands is time taken away from spiritual activities. However, there are also those parents who are able to make a balance between the two.
    2: Birthdays (this will encompass the cake and party question): Witnesses will typically avoid birthday celebrations because of biblical examples
    A: There are a few birthday parties mentioned in the Bible however; both of these are viewed in a very negative light. One ended up in the beheading of John the Baptist and the other is pretty much described as a huge drunken orgy. (insert comments here for those who look forward to these kinds of parties)
    B: The birth of Jesus was never determined. Yes, it is commonly celebrated on Dec 25th (another subject) however, in reality; the Bible never did give a date. The Bible DOES give exact dates for other stuff but, not for this.
  • studyinstead
    Options
    I'm an ex-Seventh day adventist turned Roman Catholic.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex-Roman Catholic, but don't tell my mom. :tongue:
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Most annoying religion ever, they come knock on my door often. They came last week and before I could even get my door open they were reading me a passage from the bible or "book of something".
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options

disfellowshipped is if a jehovah's witness who is baptized turns away from the religion or does somethng bad and the elders take them aside and thats how its done. one that happens your not allowed to speak to them until the decide the wat to come back

That is not fully accurate. It is up to the other witnesses conscience weather they feel it's ok to keep up association with the disfellowshipped. If the elders notice that there is alot of association going on they might say something but from what I have seen and expierenced noone has directly said you cannot talk to this person because they have been disfellowshipped. It is recommended to not keep up the association in hopes the person will want to come back to the congregation. I still have contact with a majority of the witnesses in my old congregation. Disfellowshipped 10 years.

**sorry sooo many spelling errors***
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

well, if you have the non google or wikepedia answer I would love to know. Looks like becasue they believe them to have pagan origins?
    OK… Non google answer from a current (16 yrs and counting) Witness.
    1: Organized sports: There is no “ban” on organized sports. Some parents will keep the kids out of sports because of what we consider “Worldly association” and the mere fact that the time many sports demands is time taken away from spiritual activities. However, there are also those parents who are able to make a balance between the two.
    2: Birthdays (this will encompass the cake and party question): Witnesses will typically avoid birthday celebrations because of biblical examples
    A: There are a few birthday parties mentioned in the Bible however; both of these are viewed in a very negative light. One ended up in the beheading of John the Baptist and the other is pretty much described as a huge drunken orgy. (insert comments here for those who look forward to these kinds of parties)
    B: The birth of Jesus was never determined. Yes, it is commonly celebrated on Dec 25th (another subject) however, in reality; the Bible never did give a date. The Bible DOES give exact dates for other stuff but, not for this.

That is interesting. I find myself wanting to be more educated lately on other religions. I myself, am Lutheran.

I do have a question ( NOT a battle or agurment ) Myself, other Christians, and the bible, base basically all of our faith on the birth of Jesus. We celebrate him! We celebrate his birth, mourn his death, and celebrate again when he was risen!

Do JH's believe is Jesus as their savior? That confuses me on the birthday thing a bit, thats all. I suppose it is just a total different lifestyle.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If so, drop a line and/or add me =)

curious as to why you are looking only for those that have turned away from Jehovah? or are you really looking for those that have been dis-fellowshipped?

without knowing who you are truly looking for, I doubt you'll have much luck in getting either category to respond as one usually does not wish to associate with the other.

I am an ex-Jehovah's Witness & I've found many others on various internet forums. Just like with any other mutual interests, it's nice to find others with shared experiences. I saw several threads for current JWs looking for fellow Witnesses, & it only stands to reason there must be others like myself who are no longer part of the organization on here. Ex-JW encompasses all who used to be JWs but are not any longer. Unlike those still in the organization, those who have left have no problems talking to one another.

I beg to differ. Those that have been dis-fellowshipped but are working toward re-instatement would not want to associate with those that have left the organization with no intention of returning.

Odd...so those who have left the faith are no longer people you have an interest in fostering a relationship with? That's unfortunate, as it is when anybody is ostracized from society just for having a different point of view.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

That is not fully accurate. It is up to the other witnesses conscience weather they feel it's ok to keep up association with the disfellowshipped. If the elders notice that there is alot of association going on they might say something but from what I have seen and expierenced noone has directly said you cannot talk to this person because they have been disfellowshipped. It is recommended to not keep up the association in hopes the person will want to come back to the congregation. I still have contact with a majority of the witnesses in my old congregation. Disfellowshipped 10 years.

was it the love of tacos they dispproved of?
This discussion has been closed.