TDEE is BS!

Options
My TDEE is 3049. I eat, on average, 1500 cals a day. So that's a deficit of 10,500 calories a week, right? So I should be losing 3lbs. I have lost 3lbs this MONTH. Not even one pound a week.

I say that there's no way my body is burning 3000 cals a day, especially on days when I don't work out!!!

Why do so many people follow the TDEE?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    it is all so confusing....i think we all just have to tweak our calories until something works. I just increased mine..was starving on 1200...and I know full well..I'll just gain it all back if I have to eat like that.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    All these people on the boards and no one has any idea? Is it just that you're all stumped at how this TDEE works as well?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    go by BMR not TDEE.

Give us your Height, Weight and Age.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Can't see you stats to check you numbers - so can't comment!
    TDEE - 20% works for me

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Work out the numbers - use this link
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 3049. I eat, on average, 1500 cals a day. So that's a deficit of 10,500 calories a week, right? So I should be losing 3lbs. I have lost 3lbs this MONTH. Not even one pound a week.

I say that there's no way my body is burning 3000 cals a day, especially on days when I don't work out!!!

Why do so many people follow the TDEE?

Where did you get your TDEE from?

TDEE are your maintenance calories, and all websites can do is give you an estimate.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    maybe your TDEE calculation is wrong. you should list your stats so someone can confirm it.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Either your TDEE calculation is incorrect, or if it is correct, no wonder you aren't losing much weight. Eat!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I used that Fitness Frog website. I am 37, 262lbs, 6'2 tall. Thank you!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well it work to me. It is not because it does not work for you that it is BS.

Oh and why this again......you didn't liked the answers you got yesterday
  • Kwoman2912
    Options
    Website calculations give you a GUESS. Only you can figure out your actual maintenance calories. That is why everyone who joins MFP should log for at least a week their NORMAL food intake before slashing calories.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I used that Fitness Frog website. I am 37, 262lbs, 6'2 tall. Thank you!!!

At a moderate exercise level (3-5 times per week), yes, that sounds about right. You are 6'2" and eating 1500 calories per day? Yikes. Like I said, EAT! You could eat 2500 calories on an exercise day and still have a deficit. Eat fooood.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Maybe the way that you are calculating it is BS? But the concept that you expend a given number of calories in a day is simply a fact.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Big deficits can work against weight loss.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I just checked mine earlier.
    I am 40 yrs old, female, 5'6", and weigh about 143

According to 2 sites, my BMR is 1399. I just started looking into TDEE TODAY, so, according to the place I looked it up, using lightly active, my 'TDEE minus 20%' is 1539.

Hmmmm, that is more than what I had. I was just using my BMR and had my goal at 1400
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    true losses are often masked by water retention and waste. i always get discouraged too and then all of the sudden i lose 5lb in one night, putting me right back on track. always remember, things are happening underneath even if the scale says otherwise
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

There are other factors that go into it...but that seems super high for your TDEE. Mine is only 2600 and I'm 5'9" with 21% body fat and I hit the gym hard 6 days a week.

Use: www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ Make sure to put your approximate body fat in there to make it accurate.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 266 and my TDEE is 2763.

I eat 2220 calories a day.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    thephysiquemechanic Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That sounds quite high for a tdee. What did you use to calculate it? You need to do the math based on your hieght wieght and age for your bmr, then calculate your tdee based on your estimated activity level. 3000 really sounds quite excessive.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    thephysiquemechanic Posts: 44 Member
    Options

There are other factors that go into it...but that seems super high for your TDEE. Mine is only 2600 and I'm 5'9" with 21% body fat and I hit the gym hard 6 days a week.

agreed .
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit all day and this calculates my TDEE

I have an office job but I do on average 30 mins walking a day, I am 5'5, 26 and weigh 161 and I burn on average 2200 calories a day so 3000 sounds right for you at the height and weight you are

You definately need to eat at least 2000 calories a day and more on exercise days x