BMI Tool -- BS!

Options
2»

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm five foot one 1/2. Using the BMI calculator, when I weighed 270, I was SUPER morbidly obese.

At my current weight of 255, I am merely morbidly obese.

Lovely.

Oh, it gets worse. At my goal weight of 135, I am STILL considered overweight!

My IDEAL weight is 100 pounds?!!

Bullsh*t.
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm five foot one 1/2. Using the BMI calculator, when I weighed 270, I was SUPER morbidly obese.

At my current weight of 255, I am merely morbidly obese.

Lovely.

Oh, it gets worse. At my goal weight of 135, I am STILL considered overweight!

My IDEAL weight is 100 pounds?!!

Bullsh*t.

I am right there with you, give or take adjusting a few numbers.

Starting weight - 230lbs.
    Goal weight - 150lbs.

Still "overweight" according to BMI standards. OH WELL! I have curves, dang it! =P
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If I weighed 100 pounds, I'd look like a fat-azzed little boy.
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have said this before. The BMI tool is over 100 years old and is a load of crap. When I was in the Army I weighed 200-205 lbs with body fat range of 15-17% But according to the BMI I was obese. 15% BF is a great BF so I say if you fall under the "normal" frame go ahead and use if not, like me, just ignore it and any doctor that uses it like a bible. :smile:
  • Susie_Q12
    Options
    I think it provides a good guideline. It's not a value written in stone. Normally the "healthy" BMI range has a 30- 40 lb spread. It's a range to account for individual differences.
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 154 I'm still chubby and just within the normal BMI range.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the comments yet, but doesn't the BMI have a 35 pound range, so that means depending on body type your healthy place could be somewhere different on the chart. No need to be at the low end if that's not right for you (clearly it would not be). It's just a guideline for anyone that falls on either end of the extreme to stay within the healthy range. One person would not be at the right weight within a 35 pound range. I would think the range means different people are healthy at the right place for them within that range. We are all different.
  • RockyDon
    RockyDon Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.8 and at 200 I'm obese it's crap
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the majority and say that, for the most part, BMI is a very useful tool. Here's why

1) BMI is designed to cover a range of frame sizes and body types. It accounts for fine boned people that weigh less naturally, and larger framed people that don't. Prior to the adoption of BMI, the standard was, for women: at 5' you should weigh 100 lbs. add 5 lbs for every inch thereafter. A 5'3" woman should weigh 115. Ridiculous.

2) BMI is used every day to assess millions of Americans, the vast majority of whom exercise sporadically or not at all. It is a very useful tool for these people.

3) it is expensive and impractical to measure body fat in a medical setting.

4) the only people for whom BMI doesn't work are athletes and very fit people. These people are obviously not overweight. No reasonable medical professional will think so.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Most people are saying to measure your body fat %, but most of those are complete nonsense. The scale cannot possibly measure Body fat, there is no scientific basis in that. And doing it by measurement will give you completely different results as well, even the caliper test could be wrong (what if a person loses fat, but has loose skin, you see what I'm saying). Most people do not have access to a regular dunk test, which is the only accurate way to measure it.

You know your own body. Eat smart, lift weights, be active. Take your measurements, watch your progress in the mirror, and watch how the fit of your clothing changes.

And as you are moving along in this process, you will probably get lots of great feedback from your husband.