Thinking about quitting my trainer. Need opinions please.

Options
So I am considering cancelling with my trainer. I have 2 weeks left with him that I have not paid for yet and I want an outside opinion before I do.

Positives:
In 1 week of detox and 5 weeks of training Ive lost 15lbs.
He has an infared Sauna that works wonders.

Negatives:
Recently he has been cancelling appointments last minute.
He has been cutting down the hour to 45 minutes.
Sometimes hes asleep while I am in the Sauna or doing Cardio.
His wife and children are more and more at the studio, his very young children are often fighting and in the area where you work out and his wife and him feel free to squabble in front of the customers.
He tells me that I need to do my cardio on my own if I want weight loss (What the heck am I paying him for if I am doing that on my own???)
And, it was brought to my attention that the training he is doing with us is just p90x.
I barely notice a difference in my body in the areas I really wanted to work.

I feel like maybe I needed him pushing me in the beginning to get back on track but now, I am determined. I have my gym membership and people who will let me borrow p90x. Opinions????

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Cancel.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    So I am considering cancelling with my trainer. I have 2 weeks left with him that I have not paid for yet and I want an outside opinion before I do.

Positives:
    In 1 week of detox and 5 weeks of training Ive lost 15lbs.
    He has an infared Sauna that works wonders.

Negatives:
    Recently he has been cancelling appointments last minute.
    He has been cutting down the hour to 45 minutes.
    Sometimes hes asleep while I am in the Sauna or doing Cardio.
    His wife and children are more and more at the studio, his very young children are often fighting and in the area where you work out and his wife and him feel free to squabble in front of the customers.
    He tells me that I need to do my cardio on my own if I want weight loss (What the heck am I paying him for if I am doing that on my own???)
    And, it was brought to my attention that the training he is doing with us is just p90x.
    I barely notice a difference in my body in the areas I really wanted to work.

I feel like maybe I needed him pushing me in the beginning to get back on track but now, I am determined. I have my gym membership and people who will let me borrow p90x. Opinions????

I'd quit it.. in a heartbeat.. all he wants is your money, he's not concerned about you at all. There's a lot of those trainers in my gym too.. They just let their clients do their thing, even when they obviously see that they're doing it wrong, and they don't care. And most of the time, they will consume like 30 mins of the training period, chit chatting.. and before you know it, the 1hour session is over.. tss, i hate those kind of PT's.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The negatives list is by far longer than the positives. Use that as your guide. If it were me I'd cancel.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    1. Cancel
    2. Buy P90x (if you like it) and do it yourself
    3. Put the money you would have spent on your trainer and put into a Save-For-Sauna jar.

:flowerforyou:
  • KELSLEY123
    KELSLEY123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cancel; there are some GREAT trainers that are worth everything you pay them and more. The one you describe is not one of them. Don't let it make you think all trainers are not good. Find a good one!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Cancel. The only thing I needed to hear was that he's cancelling appointments at the last minute. One time, I need a good excuse. Second time he would have been dropped already. Nothing is more important to me than my time.

Note: you DO need to do your cardio on your own. Doing cardio with your trainer is a waste of both of your time. And who cares if he naps while you are in the sauna? No matter. Cancel his @$$.
  • MOEMOEONTHERADIO
    MOEMOEONTHERADIO Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I pretty much had my mind made up already. I just wanted to know it was the right thing to do.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    And its stuff like this that gives PTs bad names...I want to be one.

I would drop hiss butt in a heart beat...and tell him why!
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think you should let him read your post... well most of it.

Present the pros first then the cons.

What is in the contract as far as length of time for each session?

I would for sure express to him your concerns over his professional ism... which is what you are paying for.

I think you should pay something... he got you to this point... I think it should be pro rated.

then join a CrossFit Box! :flowerforyou:
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    cancelling appointments at the last minute. One time, I need a good excuse. Second time he would have been dropped already. Nothing is more important to me than my time.

Note: you DO need to do your cardio on your own. Doing cardio with your trainer is a waste of both of your time. And who cares if he naps while you are in the sauna?

There are a ton of good trainers out there!
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Definately quit! Not worth your money anymore if he isnt even giving you full-undivided attention!

Download P90x or insanity for free online :) beats spending 100 bucks on that!

♥annie
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Read your post again and the read it again.....do you really not know the answer?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I would for sure quit that trainer, however if you find your dedication wavering, I would find a new trainer. Also, I'm a huge proponent of heavy lifting, so I would, of course, suggest you find a trainer to show you how to lift properly and do that :)
  • MOEMOEONTHERADIO
    MOEMOEONTHERADIO Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think you should let him read your post... well most of it.

Present the pros first then the cons.

What is in the contract as far as length of time for each session?

I would for sure express to him your concerns over his professional ism... which is what you are paying for.

I think you should pay something... he got you to this point... I think it should be pro rated.

then join a CrossFit Box! :flowerforyou:

I have paid up until the point I have been with him, Anything I would have paid him on Monday would be for the 2 weeks after. I would not be skipping out on the bill. Just cutting it short. He never had a contract, just some paperwork he kept track of payments on and even then, Id have to remind him to put them on there.
  • ArtemisMoon
    Options
    Cancel but maybe look into another trainer. I just started working with one and I really like it. He is part of a gym facility where you have to have an appt to be there and you are allotted so many a week depending on your membership. He keeps me busy pretty constantly and so far he's not been repetitive and is making me work everything, takes time to explain and demonstrate each new move/machine, gets feedback from me on difficulty, watches for how I'm doing things to make sure I'm doing it right, makes sure he's close if I'm doing something where I'm a little unsteady...I think those are all elements of a good trainer that you should look out for.
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Quit. He would have lost me at cutting the sessions short. Sounds like you will do just fine on your own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it sounds as if you got the wrong one.

I too do believe clients should do cardio sessions on their own. It's a waste of money to watch someone walk on a treadmill or do elliptical training UNLESS doing it is part of a circuit.

RESULTS are what count. If you ain't getting results by following their instruction, you're wasting your money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kevinwk
    kevinwk Posts: 77
    Options
    1. Cancel
    2. Buy P90x (if you like it) and do it yourself
    3. Put the money you would have spent on your trainer and put into a Save-For-Sauna jar.

:flowerforyou:

This.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    It sounds like his interests are not in fitness training anymore. It also sounds like your not getting your money's worth. As for the areas you want improvement in, if it's fat you want off, you can't just take it off the area you want. You can tone to get more muscles in those areas you want, but fat just comes off as you do cardio, and you can't choose where. Either way, I think you should cancel. Your money is worth more than what he's giving you... or not giving you in this case.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i'd cancel for lots of those reasons, but you should be doing your cardio outside of a trainer anyways.... you're only with them so much and getting in shape takes more than a few hours a week. I had a trainer for a long time, and ALWAYS did cardio on my own, and did strength and circiut training with him.