To the apple shaped women out there!

Options
Is there any women out there that have the typical apple shape (holding fat in the middle). And have managed to shed the fat off?
How long did it take you to do it? I know you can't spot reduce and also the fat in the middle is the last to go but it would be nice to hear other peoples experiences and fitness journey stories.

Thanks in advance! peace!

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    chiming in. it's taken me about a year to get rid of 10 lbs. i started at 163, am at 153 now, and plan to get to 135-140. carry most of weight in the tummy area....it's SLOWLY going down. AND I MEAN SLOWLY.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    chiming in. it's taken me about a year to get rid of 10 lbs. i started at 163, am at 153 now, and plan to get to 135-140. carry most of weight in the tummy area....it's SLOWLY going down. AND I MEAN SLOWLY.

i know that feeling all too well.
  • shipshape55
    shipshape55 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I too carry all my weight in the middle. I am new here. have 4 stents in my heart, am hypo thyroid, type 2 diabetic. Hysterectomy and ovaries removed 21 yrs.ago. I find it almost impossible to loose weight. when I foung out last year that I was diabetic, I followed a strict diabetic diet ate raw veggies by the bowl full, rode my stationary bike 1-3 miles everyday. in 2 and a half months I only lost 4 lbs. I am totally discouraged. I never was heavy untill my thyroid went out and all the female stuff happened. I had 2 kids and weighd 115-120 lbs. I am only 5' 2" and now weigh 190. My thyroid is under control so is the diabetes. I am on 14 diff. meds.My middle is so round that when pants fit my waist, I can fold over at least 5-6 inches on each thigh and butt. So Iam looking for pals to begin my journey. I am from WI where is everyone from?
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this issue. I lose weight in waves from the extremities first and most then upper thighs and arms and finally and least my stomach.
    It just sits there like a immoveable wall of fat rolls, it does go eventually but very..... slowly...... I find low carb dieting works best for me!
  • mikkisprouts
    Options
    I am SOOO with you guys. I've fought this apple shape for at least 25 years. It has really gotten out of control in the last 2 years - after having 2 kids and a hysterectomy, and taking a medication that increases my appetite as well, I have an uphill battle for sure. This is my 4th day on this site and I love it! I'm going for a 40 lb weight loss (that seems like such a huge, impossible number to reach!) Are any of you doing anything noteworthy about the stubborn belly fat? Any magical secrets? I kind of feel like I won't be able to lose this weight.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm a super apple., but I've never lost enough weight to say whether or not it comes off my belly area. I have lost enough to say that it usually does come off my neck/chin/face first.

I feel like I'll be a roly poly apple forever!
  • kennon0908
    kennon0908 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep, my extra weight is all around my midsection. I quite smoking about a year ago. I was also diagnosed with Hypothyroid. I lost my job and medical insurance about 9 mos ago so I have not been able to take my meds or keep up with my bloodwork. I hope to be able to shed about 30 lbs. I have noticed that any weight gain shows in my face and stomach first. Double chin and belly rolls. I hate them. I'm from Myrtle Beach, SC
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes - I carry my weight in my stomach. At this point - I'm thin everywhere except my stomach. It has shrunk - don't get me wrong - but it's the one area that I still have quite a bit of fat. For that reason, I wear a size or two bigger than most of the women my weight. It's frustrating. I'm hoping with losing more weight and the fact that it can't come from anywhere else that it will finally come from the stomach.

Don't get discourage! Just keep doing what you are doing! You will get there!
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    My loss is just now becoming more noticeable after 1 round of insanity. I've lost the "middle" weight first from my upper natural waist and not as much (yet!) from the bellybutton area. Maybe a couple inches in that area. Working on it!

What sucks is that after you eat, as an apple shaped person it's MUCH more noticeable :(
  • Dom4less
    Dom4less Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My weight is also mostly on my stomach and breast and the only think that has worked for me is to cut off all whites (bad carbs) white bread, white rice, white pasta, cakes, pies, etc… give it a try for 2 weeks you will see. Only 2 weeks is all it takes to truly see a difference on your stomach and breast. I stuck with it for 3 months last year and I had lots 5 inches on my stomach alone. Then Thanks Giving came and I greeted my guests with the best carbs in town and it went down hill from there! I am starting again and in 2 weeks I aleady feel a difference, I don't feel like my breast are under my chin anymore!
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My loss is just now becoming more noticeable after 1 round of insanity. I've lost the "middle" weight first from my upper natural waist and not as much (yet!) from the bellybutton area. Maybe a couple inches in that area. Working on it!

What sucks is that after you eat, as an apple shaped person it's MUCH more noticeable :(

I agree Nancy! I don't over eat anymore and that is one of the reasons.

So, you did see a difference with Insanity? I've thought about trying it but all the experts say you can't target the fat. :sad:
  • sgeorge1969
    sgeorge1969 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have the apple shape. I'm 42 and currently 128. I started MFP in July at 135lbs (that's down from 142 back in February). Two C-Sections and genetics have not worked in my favor. I was and am ALL belly. The last couple weeks was the first time I could "see" a difference. I dropped 3.5 inches off my waist. I cut my caloric intake to 1200 and do cardio 3-4x a week. I believe I lost the inner fat around the organs first, then my face and neck. My belly is last. I believe the low carb (should I say replace bad carbs with good ones) as well as a good cardio/fat burning routine worked the best for me. My goal is 125 and then I will focus on strength training and a solid core. Good luck and hang in there.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options

I agree Nancy! I don't over eat anymore and that is one of the reasons.

So, you did see a difference with Insanity? I've thought about trying it but all the experts say you can't target the fat. :sad:

Definitely. It helps to take before and after pictures and measurements, because looking in the mirror can really fool you. You may not be able to target fat, but you can reduce it over all. Pretty soon the belly will be all that's left!
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am the awful apple which now that I am 50 is worse than ever. I have skirts which I could wear 20 years ago when I was heavier than I am now, but now too tight on the waist but hugely loose at the hips. However, although we will never have the waists of our hourglass and pear shaped sisters, it does get better. I have lost 36 lbs and only have 9 to go and whilst I will never have the figure I would love, I am healthy (off BPmedication) and I never had the dreaded bingo wings that others are plagued with who store their fat on their arms instead of the gut.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This is the greatest site I ever saw on the subject of Apple vs Pear shaped bodies. It has made me enjoy having an Apple Shaped Male body. I am glad I am not a Pear man.

http://the-biggest-fattest-blog.blogspot.com.au/?zx=3ba06509bc5b33e1
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    that would be me too. when i was younger my thighs and hips tended to be the weight collecting spots but now that i'm in my 50s, the weight wants to settle in my belly. i hate it!!!! it seems harder to get rid of than any other distribution. i'm just treating it like any other fat, lose it by eating well and exercising.

i sure hope that does the trick!
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Love the responses so far! Apple shaped men and women are welcome to add me and we can discuss and share information about how to get rid of that apple! Theres a book i've been using to thats been really good its called fat around the middle by Marilyn Glenville. Really worth reading. It's not about dieting but about how certain food choices and lifestyles affect the holding of fat in the middle and plenty of recommendations which has been working for me.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    <===== im thining out in my midsection by doing weight training and running. The major role for losing in midsection is try to eat as clean as possible at least 80% of the time. like the saying goes "abs are made in the kitchen" good luck to you!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I tried everything, absolutely everything and I still had a disproportionately large belly. Then I found heavy lifting, and it really has gone. I've opened up my profile temporarily - there are some 'before and after lifting pics there - hope you can see the difference.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am more of an avocado than apple ( basically that means I am an apple with fat legs - yeah I know, lucky me!) but I agree that strength training, running and eating clean have helped my "B" belly significantly. Sadly, the loose skin is more persistent. I would love to wear a properly fitting shirt instead of a tent!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!